SOS = Save Our Sirloins

Stevo

There is clearly a lot of clueless pilticks on this thread...they are nothing short of hero's and that's a fact! The work they do is unbelievable and if any of you who has written here knows anyone offshore that would or have ever needed the coastguard helicopter, you'll know that they are brave, charasmatic men who put there lives on the line for others in extremely dangerous circumstances without thinking twice! The media and those of higher authority wouldn't batter an eyelid at 'santy' being flown about Shetland at Christmas waving out the door, or some photographer getting flown about to take pretty photos...but for them to land and buy steaks?! Oh no...that cannot be done...

There is no way in hell these guys should be under scruteny for this as they deserve a lot more as a lumpsooker steak!!!

If they were going to punish this guy in any way whatsoever, and that useless wooble of a policeman gets to keep his job then ALOT of people's blood will boil...

The piloet is a complete and utter HERO, as simple as that...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on that... But my old man used to be in the Lerwick fire brigade and I mind him telling me about an offshore boat fire which he was winched onto as part of the offshore unit, an I can't help but think that untill you have dangled off an inch and a half thick wire under extreme pressure 50 feet above the north sea in a force 9 gale then no man in any office can criticise these men. And the pilot is under as much pressure if not more not to 'f' up and put lives at risk...

Not sure on that... But my old man used to be in the Lerwick fire brigade and I mind him telling me about an offshore boat fire which he was winched onto as part of the offshore unit, an I can't help but think that untill you have dangled off an inch and a half thick wire under extreme pressure 50 feet above the north sea in a force 9 gale then no man in any office can criticise these men. And the pilot is under as much pressure if not more not to 'f' up and put lives at risk...

I totally agree with you on that point.

After the "Save Shetland Coastguard" campaign this is not the kind of press coverage Shetland Coastguard would want.

It's appears to be an Innocent gesture or action that has been blown out of all proportion.

I have a friend to owns the Orkney dive boat "Valkyrie" and she has been up for jaunts around the islands with the helicopter crews. On one occasion I mind her telling me about when they were on a dive expedition and the weather turned, it was rather chilly and the Helicopter was on training from Sumburgh and did a winch exercise and in the process dropped off some bacon rolls for them. You don't see that being front page of the Sun or Times.

Up most respect to the crew of an invaluable service.

Guest Anonymous

I don't read the tabloids so I'm just assuming that this featured in one... If that's the case, was there a 'red top' rat in Orkney digging through someones rubbish when O C landed. Or was it a local with a grudge (and scant regards for their nads) that called up the gutter press while hoping for a handout?

Why would someone do that? :?

Here's a list of contact details so let's get writing!.

http://www.chc.ca/AboutChc/Contact/Pages/default.aspx

This poor guy's job is on the line and it's a disgrace.

I've chosen to email the communications@chc.ca

It might be more meaningful if folks wrote their own letter but if you prefer then all you have to do is copy and paste this/my letter.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was saddened and appalled to see the news that a pilot from the Search and Rescue helicopter Oscar Charlie has been suspended pending an "investigation" into alleged unprofessional conduct following a lighhearted incident in Orkney.

These men risk their lives to save and help others, often in the worst weather imaginable.

Oscar Charlie and her crews have earned the upmost respect in Shetland and deserve to be treated with the same from their management.

Shame on you for being so heavy handed about this matter and I trust the pilot in question will be re-instated without further question.

Yours etc.

Or was it a local with a grudge (and scant regards for their nads) that called up the gutter press while hoping for a handout?

Why would someone do that? :?

Apparently it was the butcher that contacted the press.

Don't know If he realised what would happen. Maybe he saw it as a light hearted story and they put their spin on it.