SOS = Save Our Sirloins

Stevo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder that if there had been an incident whereby a member of the public had been injured due to a problem with either the take off or landing procedure of the Helicopter, whether Shetlinkers would be so supportive of the pilot. There are good reasons for all the protocol surrounding all airborne movements. not least of which is safety of the general public.

So at what point in the 'exercise' were the public put at risk? You can rest assured that every landing, whether on an airport or in a field, is given the relevant risk assesment before it is carried out. Remember nobody is more at risk than the crew of the helicopter - there is a good degree of self-preservation at, erm, 'steak......'

It's no different to landing at Clickimin to offload a casualty, or to landing on the football pitch at Eid on the gala day.

Much as I admire the skills of the search and rescue teams, I also expect them to adhere to all the rules and regulations that their difficult job requires, and that does not include landing in a field to pick up some shopping.

Are you fully au fait with all the rules and regulations that they fly to? I would put money on it that their job does involve landing in fields from time to time, but on the difficulty scale I would suspect that picking up two bags of meat is probably at the lower end, getting the helicopter there in the first place is the skillful bit.

Yes I am also aware that life in remote Islands encourages a 'rules do not apply to us' culture, and that sometimes a healthy disregard to regulations is acceptable, but in this case, it was just plain stupidity, let's be honest...no one needs a bit of beef so much, that they could not have landed at the airport and collected it from the butcher.

That comes across as a very scathing, uneducated and ignorant statement. Perhaps somebody who does the job could enlighten you about what exactly is involved in what they do.

we have come to expect an adult attitude from our emergency services, and this is seriously undermined by the juvenile behaviour of some.

We would like to expect an adult attitude from the people on Shetlink, but this is seriously undermined by the juvenile behaviour of many.

Do not let your admiration of an excellent service cloud your judgement of the decision making abilities of one pilot.

Next time it could be your loved ones depending on the judgement of this pilot.

And perhaps you too may rely on the judgement of this pilot one day. If they give you a headset when you're on board then you could tell him exactly what you think of him over the intercom as he flies you to hospital. I'm sure he'll be delighted.

I wonder that if there had been an incident whereby a member of the public had been injured due to a problem with either the take off or landing procedure of the Helicopter, whether Shetlinkers would be so supportive of the pilot. There are good reasons for all the protocol surrounding all airborne movements. not least of which is safety of the general public.

Much as I admire the skills of the search and rescue teams, I also expect them to adhere to all the rules and regulations that their difficult job requires, and that does not include landing in a field to pick up some shopping. Yes, I agree that landing in suburban situations in an emergency is often required, but these landings would be in an emergency situation, and not a 'pick up some grub' jolly.

I am also aware that life in remote Islands encourages a 'rules do not apply to us' culture, and that sometimes a healthy disregard to regulations is acceptable, but in this case, it was just plain stupidity, let's be honest...no one needs a bit of beef so much, that they could not have landed at the airport and collected it from the butcher.

I'm not mentioning the cost of this exercise, as that could be easily written of as 'team building' and I also had a chuckle at the cheek of it, but on a serious note, we have come to expect an adult attitude from our emergency services, and this is seriously undermined by the juvenile behaviour of some.

Do not let your admiration of an excellent service cloud your judgement of the decision making abilities of one pilot.

Next time it could be your loved ones depending on the judgement of this pilot.

Pompous and patronising pish.

Seaflech:

"We would like to expect an adult attitude from the people on Shetlink, but this is seriously undermined by the juvenile behaviour of many."

Guilty as charged, m'lud.ðŸ˜

Mayday, let me know what part o' me ramblings makes less sense than the peatstack's, an' I'll certainly enlighten yez. (it was the bit about the lightsaber duel at breakfast, wasn't it? :oops:

Sorry, me lithium had run out.. :?

Again.😜 Ye've only two more weeks te put up with afore I'm off again, tho. Partin' is such sweeeeeeeeet sorrow...😢

Glad te see more are riskin the wrath o' the peatstack by darin te take issue with the fertiliser 💩 spread by pleep-pleep. ðŸ‘

Huzzah! ðŸ˜

• 1 month later...

Eating must owe them a big favour.

I sort of wonder now about all the other "crimes" that are actually using public money, as this one was using "private" money.

I hope now folk will report all these cases of miss use of public assets and the obvious fraud. I will look for these in the papers.

What everyone seems to ignore is that they disregarded the caa rules which say that you shouldn't land nearer than 500 feet to a person or structure ( I found this on the caa site)

So they put all those people watching them at risk.

Maybe retraining is good for them and will remind others to obay

the rules.

What everyone seems to ignore is that they disregarded the caa rules which say that you shouldn't land nearer than 500 feet to a person or structure ( I found this on the caa site)

Well I'm happy to ignore that as it's not correct. An aircraft can't fly within 500ft of a person, vessel or structure unless it has an exemption, which I can assure you the coastguard helicopter does have. Take off and landing is quite different, for glaringly obvious reasons.

If you had thought about it or several seconds before making your first post, how would they land on the runway at Sumburgh, given that it is a structure? How would they land at the Clickimin landing site? It's certainly closer than 500ft to any structure. How would they manage to hover 50ft above the stern of a sinking boat? Do you not think that if they had breached CAA rules then it would've been them investigating the crew, not the company they work for?

No lives were put in danger by this episode. The only thing at risk was of CHC management conducting an epic fail, which they achieved with bells on.