Firearm Laws

optimistic

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about firearms laws? i.e how far from neighbours, roads do you have to be, what are the laws about discharging a firearm at night in the winter when it's dark? Finally anything about legalities of someone shooting your families pet cats? Have already contacted SSPCA who advised us to contact the police which i did initially in November 2011, twice again this year and they haven't got back to me again. Feeling very let down by the justice system :(

It took them til after christmas to come and see us the first time, due to the length of time and no room in the freezer the remains of the first cat had to be buried! I'm vexed i didna take photo's because she was littered with shotgun pellets all up her breast area into her neck, must have been facing the accused and shot at relatively close range so hopefully it was a quick death :(

I personally burst into tears when I read your daughter's status on facebook. It's a nightmare, I can find stuff in the Scottish parliament's educational resources, but nothing more specific other than it's an offence. I've not known any prosecutions up here for cats, dogs yes, not cats. But seen plenty south. Good luck. wish I could do anything to help. I personally think it's a poor show by Northern Constabulary. If they can come out in less than 30mins for a clipped wing mirror, over a month for the misuse of a firearm is appalling.

I've trawled the internet looking for info too but can't find anything specific to our case. I think it's important for my daughter to have justice after the devastating effect it's had on her and to know people can't get away with things like this, we've lost 3 cats now since november '11. Thanks for your support

it happens quite often een them shooting into fields of livestock. had a spent bullet hit one of our windows. call me a coward i dont fancy shouting at someone with a gun. by the time the poice would have got there they would have been gone. the driveby shooting is the worst.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about firearms laws? i.e how far from neighbours, roads do you have to be, what are the laws about discharging a firearm at night in the winter when it's dark? Finally anything about legalities of someone shooting your families pet cats? Have already contacted SSPCA who advised us to contact the police which i did initially in November 2011, twice again this year and they haven't got back to me again. Feeling very let down by the justice system :(

here is scottish law containing all about firearms..

Firearms

Source: Firearms Act 1968

Definition of a firearm: A lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged, and includes any 'prohibited weapon', whether lethal barrelled or not, any component part of such a lethal or prohibited weapon and any accessory to such weapons which are designed or adapted to diminish the sound or flash caused by firing the weapon.

Ages

Section 1 firearm/ammunition - Under 14 years

Possession of firearm/ammunition only in the following circumstances:

gun bearer

member of rifle club

shooting gallery calibre n/e .23"

member of a cadet corps when engaged in target or drill practice

No gift or loan of firearm permitted.

14- 17 years

as above

under authority of firearm certificate

A firearm may be gifted or loaned.

Shotgun/ammunition - Under 15 years

Must hold a shotgun certificate. If shotgun is assembled:

person must be supervised by a person 21 or over, or

the gun is covered in a gun cover

No gift of shotgun permitted.

15 years and over

Shotgun certificate required. Shotgun may be gifted or loaned.

Air weapon/ammunition

Under 14 years

public place (not air pistol), covered and supervised

private premises -supervised

member of rifle club

at shooting gallery

No gift permitted.

14 -17 years

As above but no supervision required. May be gifted or loaned.

17 years

May now purchase or hire any firearm or ammunition and possess an air pistol in a public place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but this is the bit you should pay attention too

Common offences

Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, makes it an offence to have in any public place, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her) any of the following:

A loaded shotgun

A loaded air weapon

Any other firearm loaded, or unloaded if the person also has suitable ammunition in his/her possession

Section 20 of the Act creates an offence for any person, in possession of a firearm, to trespass onto any land or buildings, without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof shall lie with him/her)

It is a crime at common law for any person to recklessly discharge a firearm, whether or not actual injury is caused.

Guest posiedon
It is a pity it's against T&Cs to name and shame
It wouldn't infringe the T and Cs for optimistic to post his/her address, a lot of folk could garner from that, who the neighbour (from hell) is.

I think i'll keep the finer details to myself as i think we'd end up with a lot of problems as a result! Was just trying to get some details to take to the police to see if they would do something about it, you can't blame my daughter for thinking there's no point in reporting anything to the police as they won't do anything about it, i'm sure if it was a teenage boy weilding a firearm and shooting the neighbours cats they would act much quicker!