NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why on earrth was it announced today, of all days....?.

Easy one:

SNP want to bury the news that they've dumped the Scottish Calmac/RBoS venture known as Northlink and given the contract the a UK company that has it's finger in many UK pies across the UK....did I mention the UK? Key word there....

And who also has contracts at Faslane...which is rather 'awkward', nay, an embarrassing situation for a political party that wants Faslane closed down.

Stuff like that won't go down well with 'Braveheart' voters who prefer romantic pish and myth to political, business and economic reality. They'd choke on their Irn Bru and Tunnocks at the thought of any business going to what they'd see as an 'English' company.

What better day to do it than when all eyes are on election results? :wink:

Dimwits - no political administration directly controls procurement. There are rules to prevent that sort of thing. For very good reasons.

And why on earrth was it announced today, of all days....?.

Easy one:

SNP want to bury the news that they've dumped the Scottish Calmac/RBoS venture known as Northlink and given the contract the a UK company that has it's finger in many UK pies across the UK....did I mention the UK? Key word there....

And who also has contracts at Faslane...which is rather 'awkward', nay, an embarrassing situation for a political party that wants Faslane closed down.

Stuff like that won't go down well with 'Braveheart' voters who prefer romantic pish and myth to political, business and economic reality. They'd choke on their Irn Bru and Tunnocks at the thought of any business going to what they'd see as an 'English' company.

What better day to do it than when all eyes are on election results? :wink:

Dimwits - no political administration directly controls procurement. There are rules to prevent that sort of thing. For very good reasons.

Since when has lack of direct control stopped any Government from applying pressure to ensure things 'run smoothly'?

Pull the other one, Derik :lol: You'll be telling me it's pure coincidence next.......

Remains to be see how 'International Entirety' do.

As a regular user I just didn't like Northlink - e.g Hjaltland where they removed the couches (which the cabinless could get a sleep on) and replaced them with unsleepable on chairs. The old Clair had a deck out back that you could sit on in the shelter, all teary eyed, watching the old rock disappear. And the toories could enjoy similar facilities to observe assorted inedible and offensive seabirds desporting themselves

AND Tavish Scott should be constantly reminded who was Transport minister in Holyrood when the boats with not enough cabins were specced.

Still think the boats should go to Rosyth, that you can actually get in to if there's a bit of swell.

Pull the other one, Derik :lol: You'll be telling me it's pure coincidence next.......

more likely just the civil servants having time to actually get some work done, when the ministers were off their backs and away round the doors!

so yes, coincidence.

I kind of suspect politics here in that when Cal-Mac win all the Clyde and Western Isles routes they currently have the Scottish Government can claim that Serco taking over proves things are run fairly.

Or alternatively Northlink long ago realised that their ships where not really what were needed for a year round service so they have conveniently dumped the problem in the lap of the highest bidder.

Somewhat amused to hear the unions coming out with their usual rubbish about the awarding of the contract to Serco being "a privatisation of ferry services in the name of “greed and profitâ€. Seem to remember P & O were a private company who lost out in a previous round of bidding when Northlink took over. No union moans about "nationalisation" then.

Just read this on the BBC:

Transport Minister Keith Brown said of the proposed new operator: "Passengers will see improvements to the journey experience with improved ticketing arrangements, premium reclining seats, added on board overnight services, and improved catering, hospitality and customer care facilities".

Ahahaha, "Premium Reclining Seats"?. Are they going to put Jimmy Saville style chairs in?.

"Added onboard overnight services" = Bingo.

All the threes, thirty three :lol:

Call me gloomy, but I have a bad feeling about Serco taking over the service. They're squarely focussed on making profits and won't have much idea what's involved with this service.

How long till they're back bleating at Holyrood that they need more money when they finally realise the boats aren't loaded with wealthy captive tourists desperate to spend their money?

Well, look what happened to the freight boats......

Not so long ago it was the Hascosay which was crewed by British seamen but now it's two flagged out vessels with foreign crew.

If you took the yearly wage bill of the current Hjaltland and Hrossey crews then halved it by paying foreign crews......

Not good.....

i think lots of folk are forgetting the P&O days! old smelly ships, sailing on a friday that left at midday! walking down the peir and up a steep gangway.

now while i was younger back then, i would imagine folk be pretty upset about going back to midday sailing to orkney.

northlink came in and built on what p&o had evolved into a good service, northlink have made it better (not saying i always aggree with there desicions not to sail! i still belive a lifeline service should go regardless of public safety and it be up to the person themselves, we are all able to make desisons based on the weather forecast!)

nice terminals, covered walkways, nice ships on the whole, good customer service!

i really hope serco dont change the rules regarding refunds and late bookings = very expensive! its nice to have a short notice option as the plane def is not one!