NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

It is I suppose possible that someone in the Scottish Government noticed that if Streamline won the Northlink contract then they would have a virtual monopoly on sea freight services to Shetland.....well except for liquid fuel which is another monopoly. That might not be such a good thing for the islands.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you, Streamline would be no better than Serco......

Can you explain? Also, on what qualification. This could mean that Streamline should get the contract if they are both on par, as you say.

I just don't think Streamline would be able to cope with such a big operation, and also as JustMe says it would create a monopoly with one company on the route and because I believe they already get a subsidy for "Lo-Lo"(lift on, lift off).

Serco, well I can only go on what I've posted above but they didn't get off to a good start by remaining silent on the question of droping a freight boat. They are also renowned in the shipping world for hiring cheap foreign crew.

I just don't think Streamline would be able to cope with such a big operation,

But then Northlink didn't exisit until they were set up to take the contract off P&O.

It was Gareth Crichton who did most of the early groundwork getting them up and running, and he is spearheading Streamilne's bid now, so I can't see why Streamline are in any worse position than Northlink were 10 years ago.

Yeh, I was aware of that point but then look what happened - NorthLink went bust and the contract had to be re-issued and it cost millions more.

Imagine Streamline ended up making a shambles of it, then where would we be.....

I think it's a fair point that it would give them a monopoly and I wonder what the EU would make of that?. I don't know how it all works, but they might be stripped of the Lo-Lo subsidy which would leave them financially :shock:

I just don't think Streamline would be able to cope with such a big operation,

But then Northlink didn't exisit until they were set up to take the contract off P&O.

It was Gareth Crichton who did most of the early groundwork getting them up and running, and he is spearheading Streamilne's bid now, so I can't see why Streamline are in any worse position than Northlink were 10 years ago.

Gareth was only employed by Northlink after they won the contract.

With my experiences with Streamline i hope they don't get the contract as on average it takes 2 to 3 weeks from arrival in Aberdeen to being delivered to my address.They always try to blame the originating supplier or courier although usually they are signed for by streamline in Aberdeen.On the plus side after about six phone calls it "Has just arrived"and turns up 24 hours later.I suppose on the passenger ferries they would wait until it was brimful before they sailed however long it takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst glad that Streamline did not get their way in court i feel after reading what Serco's plans are that they have missed a great opportunity to get shot of the whole club lounge concept, which even today is an under used waste of space area on board that could be put to far better use. This almost class division plan (budget/standard/premium) is in my opinion a waste of time.

Also not keen on the fare system where say you may be required to so south at a moments notice for say a sick relation, or even a funeral you will be whacked with a heavy fare...that's just not right in my view.

Even the freight side of things are suspect too..

A tad worrying and i have to say i have a bad feeling about this...

Sorry, but the omens aren't good here.....

I seem to remember hearing a news item just a month or two ago saying that the north boats were struggling for capacity because of all the seafood being exported.

Now Serco are planning to lay off one of the feight ships for 6 months of the year.......

Eh?.

Nope, on the face of it its not looking good at all. Of course details have to be discussed as mentioned in most reports but the basic math os 2 into 1 just doesn't go.

I know little about the freight side of things, but one can safely assume Northlink hasn't been running two boats if one was empty all the time!

Also very concerned about supposed "improvements" in the fares and timetables. The fixed fare is the most attractive aspect of the current setup, along with extremely convenient timetables (to fit in with working days here, and onward connections south, both for business and leisure).

As I said before, quite a few things could be tweaked, but in the case of timetables and fare structure, if it ain't broke...

Sorry, but the omens aren't good here.....

I seem to remember hearing a news item just a month or two ago saying that the north boats were struggling for capacity .........

Now Serco are planning to lay off one of the feight ships for 6 months of the year.......

Eh?.

If they cannot fill the boat, why run it?

....the company said that, over the past few years, having two freighters in addition to the two passenger vessels resulted in a significant amount of unused capacity at certain points of the year.

“We will have both vessels under charter throughout the year to ensure resiliency. This provides flexibility to meet any sustained changes in demand.

“Through a combination of reserved freight space on the passenger vessels and more flexible management of the new service we will offer customers enhanced freight options.

“The passenger vessels are considered to provide the fastest and most attractive service for many freight customers, particularly those serving the need of time sensitive sectors.

“We are proposing that an amount of car deck space is ‘reserved’ particularly for time sensitive freight on every sailing. This will be available at no premium charge.

“Serco recognises that over the past year, NorthLink has operated periods of single freighter operation.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/4201-serco-confirmed-as-new-ferry-operator.html

Sounds better than sending mt vessels up and down. Also, where does it say they are taking one away? Also, do you know the passenger/vehicle numbers through out the year to see if they may be right? Lastly, Tavish "drydock" Scott is gonna sort it out?

Sounds better than sending mt vessels up and down.

I doubt Northlink ever sent empty vessels up and down, but even if it's half empty, it still needs to run or a backlog will soon build up.

Also, where does it say they are taking one away?

It was confirmed on Radio Shetland tonight that one freight vessel would be laid up from December till May.