BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

Watching the two parts of Shetland, I knew it was going to be rubbish although my cousin was acting and I saw a few folk I know in the Up Helly Aa scene at the Market Cross. Here is my opinions on both parts:

Part 1 on Sunday night:

I only watched half an hour of this but I thought if I miss it, it won't matter. Actually, it did matter as I thought the rest of actors and actresses seemed to sound rather knackered and dull. I have noticed that some scenes were at different locations like Glasgow (I think) for the school.

Part 2 yesterday:

Watched the whole episode (god forbid!) and when the scene of the fire festival came up, I saw at least twenty spectators wearing Shetland flags as cloaks: were they squad members or stag do invitees? When the jarl squad towed the galley, I thought how bright does that look: some people were wearing jackets and others wore nothing warm.

I somehow thought I got filmed but I believe not: I was on the town service bus in September and the bus drove past the Shetland Fudge Company, those big camera crew cameras were sitting on tripods possibly filiming the fudge shop. Was that part of the Shetland crime drama or maybe a tourism movie, I don't know.

Watched part 1 tonight........i-player download as I do not have TV. Having also read the book I was left wondering why they swapped Whalsay for Bressay.........to save money?. But if I had not read the book I would not have noticed. Nice scenery and some believable actors. Am sure it will work well enough for people who like reasonable gentle (apart from the murders) crime stories.

The comments on here are becoming quite intelligent and realistic! There as been some quite peculiar stuff from folk who think it should all be in dialect. Quote from someone on the ST Facebook page:

'Having read all da books.was lookin forward to da drama. So disaponted in it and da BBC. Do not let it put du off reading the books - they are well written and sensitive to real life on Shetland.

The plot was much weaker, the acting I thought seriously lacking, the dialect was pretty much unforgivable'

(My italics) oh dear... Please...we appreciate you trying to speak it, but criticising others...?[/b]

The Guizer Jarl looked awful with no proper beard and just looked a mess.

I've not seen part 2 yet, but you may want to consider how somebody is likely to look after having recently lost their thumb, then waiting in the bitter cold (summer it may have been, but summery it certainly wasn't) till after two in the morning. \We were all frozen and knackered.

Perhaps under that circumstances he should have taken a rest and allowed another previous ex Jarl to step in.

i watched both parts of this film, sorry but but i have seen better acts on up helly aa nite (seen worse ones as well but they only lasted about 3 minutes ) but this 2 hours mind numbing rubbish that was even worse than day time television. never mind they say any publicity is better than none

Guest tiodylb17

i watched both parts of this film, sorry but but i have seen better acts on up helly aa nite (seen worse ones as well but they only lasted about 3 minutes ) but this 2 hours mind numbing rubbish that was even worse than day time television. never mind they say any publicity is better than none

You spent 2 hours watching something you found mind numbing and rubbish ? :roll:

Would it not be an idea to spend your time doing something you enjoy. :lol:

Just a suggestion :idea:

The murder was irrelevant in my mind, I was too mesmerised by the size of the hand luggage that the wife brought off the plane when she met the Inspector!

Yes I noticed that the bag was a bit big for Loganair. Of course Shetland residents are picking holes in the production because we can and I think it might have been better not to have any of the Up Helly Aa scenes. Archaeological digs and the Hebridean Princess plus all the yachts in the small boat harbour mean it was summer anyway.

But if I was to live in, for example, Oxford and had never visited Shetland I would not have noticed these things and would just have enjoyed the programme.

holy turd ive just watched Bluestone 42 which is about a bomb disposal team in afghanistan... much to my horror i have just discovered it was actually filmed in South Africa.. last time i am ever going to watch anything on BBC ever again...!>!>!>>!>

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland