BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

Shetland has improved dramatically this year. Although I wouldn't say (I don't normally watch crime dramas) that there were some parts that kinda confused me a bit, I was fortunately peeling an orange while watching the show so I more or less missed the "crucial" bits of the programme.

All in all, yes the drama was significantly better than the first one as it drabbed a little.

I just watched the first episode of new run of Shetland on sky+ and was actually quite impressed, enjoyable viewing on the whole.

One slight point stood out for me as glaringly inaccurate. The young woman referred to as "Tosh" on the programme - (Alison O'DonnellI believe) - at one moment in the show made her apologies for being late as she had been to the dentist.

Now I find it impossible to comprehend that a person who would have been on the isles for as short a term as she has likely to have been posted here as a fictional Police Officer would have made it onto the NHS register. Clearly she would still be languishing on the waiting list, probably on the bottom half (they like to refer to the list in fractions so as not to confuse mere morals). 

I suppose she could have had an emergency appointment at Montfield, but she didn't look sufficiently numb/toothless/terrified for this to have been the case.

Perhaps someone can inform me otherwise, maybe the Police have a "dental plan" and can afford to go private, which I would have thought unlikely without insurance because don't we always here it is a poorly paid public service job?

Perhaps she has been pregnant, which gets you off the waiting list apparantly. If so, congratulations Tosh.

Maybe at sometime this year, year 6, my wife might make it off the waiting list..............

Watched it on i-player as I do not have TV.  Initial reaction to the programme as a whole........or the first episode anyway........was that it was good enough television but my enjoyment was somewhat spoiled by silly little inaccuracies such as the supposed CCTV cameras on the Hillhead and at the top of Pirate Lane and the victim managing to settle down in the bus station in the middle of the night despite the place being closed overnight.  And where is "Ravenswick"?.  Have to be somewhere in the south mainland or Scalloway/Burra if it has buses on Sundays. 

The dentist bit is not so unreasonable as plenty of people do use the private practice either having their own dental plan, being covered by the firm or just deciding they have enough disposable income to go private rather than wait for years.

"Inaccuracies"! To my knowledge it's supposed to be fiction.

The story is fiction, Ravenswick is fiction but Lerwick is real.  Why change a perfectly adequate real place by adding fake CCTV and a bus station open in the middle of the night if it adds nothing to the plot?.  Well unless it will come clear in future episodes as to why it was done.  

For those who struggle with Shetland accents, as a native Glaswegian, I have found a failsafe technique.

1) Stand in front of a mirror. Gargle with a single malt or drink listerine. Which ever is to hand.

2) Say 'Under Yunder' 50 times followed by 'Peerie Moorit Yowe' 20 times.

3) Down the remaining bottle of whisky or mouthwash.

4) Now attempt to read the back of the bottle.

5) Shout, "I cannae bi bithered footerin wi yin!" and storm out the house to the pub.

Some may call it method acting.

"Inaccuracies"! To my knowledge it's supposed to be fiction.

The story is fiction, Ravenswick is fiction but Lerwick is real.  Why change a perfectly adequate real place by adding fake CCTV and a bus station open in the middle of the night if it adds nothing to the plot?.  Well unless it will come clear in future episodes as to why it was done.  

Why even add a murder? Let's just film a night out in the Thule... 

The plot seems very weak to me, but the CCTV and open-late-night bus station seemed to be fairly integral to it, to me. Shetland is merely inspiration for the series, it's quite evidently not a documentary. This pointless nitpicking just makes you look a bit mad.

One of the best German films of the 90s (indeed one of the best films of the 90s anywhere) was "Lola Rennt" (released as "Run Lola Run" in UK). It featured Franke Potente running across Berlin three times trying to source a pile of money in 20 mins to save her boyfriend from being killed. When you are familiar with Berlin, the sequence of locations she runs past are quite bizarre. Completely "wrong" from a tourism point of view. She'll round a corner and suddenly be on the other side of the city. Does it matter to the plot or dramatic intensity? Not a bit. The film works wonderfully, and "accuracy" would not improve it at all.

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland