BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

One of the best German films of the 90s (indeed one of the best films of the 90s anywhere) was "Lola Rennt" (released as "Run Lola Run" in UK). It featured Franke Potente running across Berlin three times trying to source a pile of money in 20 mins to save her boyfriend from being killed. When you are familiar with Berlin, the sequence of locations she runs past are quite bizarre. Completely "wrong" from a tourism point of view. She'll round a corner and suddenly be on the other side of the city. Does it matter to the plot or dramatic intensity? Not a bit. The film works wonderfully, and "accuracy" would not improve it at all.

On a similar note, the vast majority of Trainspotting was actually filmed in Glasgow. It's only really the opening chase scene on Princes Street/Calton Road that's in Edinburgh itself.

But my point is that the Hillhead/Pirate Lane CCTV and the deceased sitting in the bus station did not seem to add anything to the story.  But to be fair I have not yet watched part 2.  Have to confess I have yet to watch Trainspotting or Run Lola Run and must also confess that the last German TV I watched turned out to be Dutch.

I watched Shetland last night on a laptop because I was visiting somebody. The only thing that kind of bothered me was the total confusion of the plot: the person I was watching the show with last night said that the series was based on multiple books ( I think she has read most of Cleeves' books) and she said there were bits that jumped from one passage of one book and another. I would understand that but in fact, I'm not much of a book reader myself although everybody I know seem to tell me that I do...

Overall, second episode was a bif iffy but to be honest, I think I wasn't interested with it at all.

But my point is that the Hillhead/Pirate Lane CCTV and the deceased sitting in the bus station did not seem to add anything to the story.  But to be fair I have not yet watched part 2.  Have to confess I have yet to watch Trainspotting or Run Lola Run and must also confess that the last German TV I watched turned out to be Dutch.

Did such insignificant details really spoil your enjoyment of a fictitious storyline so much? Fiction is just that! made up! For me it was amazing to watch a programme on prime time TV where I was familiar with the locations used and knew many of the faces appearing.

I must admit that I got hooked and was keen to see the second part and I enjoyed that as well. Looking forward to the next one next week. It's a good piece of fiction with the benifit of having lots of local scenery, which has to be good for Shetland.

But the new catch phrase on da street has to be " whars du fae" :-)

I'd say last night's episode was okay but there were a few things that I knew were a bit, well, uncharacteristic...

1. The man who was inside the damaged car off a road; I might have seen his right eye flicker a bit (I have a bit of a sharp eye)

2. That was some supersonic car that went from Muckle Roe to the Lodberries.

3. Perez's voice seems to sound more deeper in every scene he was in.

Maybe folk should just relax and enjoy the programme. It is fiction and things may not add up at times to us residents. But it's tv. It's not real

Agree with AlexandraS though, perhaps the attempt at trying to put on a Shetland accent, makes it difficult for non residents to understand, which could put others of watching.

For me, I have enjoyed watching so far 😄

Edited by Windwalker

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland