BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

I think it's been pretty good so far. Managed to get some fairly high profile Scottish actors in it too. I've got mixed feelings on the accents it's good they managed to get Steven Robertson and while his accent has been toned down a bit it's still distinctly a Shetland one. Brian Cox and David Hayman had a fair old crack at the accent and I imagine that was through them wanting to sound like they were from Shetland (like their characters were) more than the production crew telling them to put on the accent.

It's a shame there isn't a lot more books for them to adapt as it could become a decent series going forward.

Not seen any of this lot beyond a clip of the first part, and really had no interest in taking it further. Fiction isn't my thing though, so....

I found myself more interested in trying to figure out where the locations were in the first show than following the story line, back when it aired, and this lot were going the same way for me. Seemed kinda pointless to keep on when it was mostly places I knew by sight anyway.

I will admit it can be a tad disconcerting to have a car travelling in one direction at one end of Shetland, only to have it travelling in the opposite direction at the other end of Shetland moments later, while supposedly on the same journey. But realism isn't what this is about, and its only us who have a decent working knowledge of Shetland's countryside that can feel that way anyway, and we're a tiny minority in the audience of a national show.

There's no such a thing as bad publicity, even if there's been more more murders in Shetland on the box these last few weeks that the Isles probably have had in over a century. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the Shetland series is over, I would say it was such a big improvement from what it was last year. The last two episodes in Fair Isle were a bit too "slippery" - I mean, once you know what is going on then the next bit of the plot starts to change it completely out of character making the whole episode seem a bit unjustified.

Also, I think the dummies used might be actual actors having a nap because I often see eyes flicker a bit. There have been moments where vehicles were driven in some sort of supersonic mode, as well as small villages called "Ravenswick" and "Skellswick".

• 1 year later...

been watching Shetland on tv. I thought that the ferry car decks were sealed before sailing. noticed a bus with Aith/Walls on it in voe,is this a new service. shots were heard at the Gott junction and the man was shot and killed at Eshaness. he was a good runner. how many more like this.

It was difficult to do much other than PMSL at the Aith/Walls bus picking someobody up in Voe and dumping them off between Bigton and Scousburgh. Then the guy takes off towards Rerwick when the shots start flying and hides among the reeds at the back of the Rerwick Sand, only to reappear next moment jumping over grey stanes at Eshaness. Sorry, but when I wasn't laughing, I was going "WTF" at the whole thing.

Yeah, for anybody anywhere else it matters none as they'd know no better and its passable "entertainment" if its the kind of thing that appeals to you, but to anybody that knows the place the whole thing descends in to a comedic farce, which its not supposed to be AFAIK, on account of the twilight zoneish type experience as a result of the almost total disregard for reality.

A lot of dramatic licence is involved. Another one is getting on the ferry for cash with no ID. That one only happens if you slip the steward a few quid.

I think though the victim got access to the car deck because the lock had been forced. That was mentioned somewhere.

Thought ID on ferry was scrapped when Serco took over?  I was expecting him to have gone visiting his mutt in the kennel with a purser in tow and murdered the purser too.  I bet if he had, the cop shop clock would still be saying 7.35am/pm though when reported. ;-)

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland