BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

Like many, it does annoy me that a TV series that not only uses the island for its setting, but has also claimed its name for the title, is so unrepresentative of the place. It has always felt like we're being used for scenery. The fact there is a general intrigue around Shetland, also helps sell this well below par crime series. 

Although I've been able to watch this new series and it is an improvement, I still find a lot of it dull and drawn out. The last 5-10 minute cliff hangers save it.

Edited by tooney1

Having now watched Episode 1, I'd say if we're to p*ss and whinge about accuracy, I'd be more interested to hear them substantiate the line about sniffer dogs driving people from cannabis to heroin. That seems rather more contentious than whether St Ninian's is a beach or sand or up or down. 

Seems there are plenty of people in Shetland who agree that the well intentioned "Dogs against Drugs" scheme has driven some users to try what might be classed as more dangerous drugs since cannabis is harder to obtain. 

Having now watched Episode 1, I'd say if we're to p*ss and whinge about accuracy, I'd be more interested to hear them substantiate the line about sniffer dogs driving people from cannabis to heroin. That seems rather more contentious than whether St Ninian's is a beach or sand or up or down. 

Seems there are plenty of people in Shetland who agree that the well intentioned "Dogs against Drugs" scheme has driven some users to try what might be classed as more dangerous drugs since cannabis is harder to obtain. 

Sniffer dogs will detect heroin (and cocaine). Perhaps their value makes it more worth the risk than cannabis, but the latter appears to be readily available here whatever the case. 

I suppose if it's a belief actually held by people here putting a local drug user in saying it is fine whatever its truth, but the authority with which it was said (and accepted) seemed a little troubling. 

Aye, that'll be the users and dealers who'd like to see the back of the scheme to make their business easier.

We all watch the series from a different perspective; many (most) on this forum are Shetland residents and perhaps are naturally inclined to look for inaccuracies.

I'm not a resident of Shetland, but I love the place & the people; I'm just pleased that I'm able to see various parts of Shetland on TV - gives me something to look forward to, when I'm up there this Summer.  I'm not bothered by inaccuracies, I'm just pleased to see any parts of Shetland - parts that perhaps the residents take for granted.

Whilst I'm watching, I'm thinking 'I know where that is', 'I've been there' etc.  There's not much coverage of anything relating to Shetland on TV or in the media  . . . . . . . I'm just pleased to see something other than UHA.

I did smile at a couple of things that I thought to be rather unlikely; when Inspector Perez (with regard to Silver rings) asks one of his underlings . . . "Can you see who could have made this" - as if there might be more than one manufacturer of silver jewellery in Shetland {A 'real' Shetland Police Inspector wouldn't have to ask such a question}.

I hope that there'll be more Shetland Detective series on TV; whilst I live in lovely countryside near the Berwyn Mountains, I work in boring suburbia - chilling out at home, feet up - with a glass of something alcoholic & watching Shetland on TV, is a great antidote to the stresses of modern life.

Edited by lastpubrunner

I did smile at a couple of things that I thought to be rather unlikely; when Inspector Perez (with regard to Silver rings) asks one of his underlings . . . "Can you see who could have made this" - as if there might be more than one manufacturer of silver jewellery in Shetland {A 'real' Shetland Police Inspector wouldn't have to ask such a question}.

To be fair to him, there is. 

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland