BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland

Loads of catering vehicles and vans came of the boat today.

I doesn't matter how much is actually filmed here, most shots would be indoors, as long as they get loads of good shots of Shetland to publicise how nice it is. It is all good publicity :D

Anybody being an extra? Are they seriously doing Up Helly Aa in July? Wish I was there, sounds bizarre and splendid.

I see they want volunteers to be extras. Are the BBC that skint and don't want to use licence payers' dosh by forking out the usual £50 - £80 per day which extras usually get, just because some fancy getting their mugshots on the telly?

Is there nothing you won't complain about unlinkedstudent?!

I've done bits n pieces of extras work a few years ago and was even signed to an agency for a while. The rate of pay, and whether you get paid or not, depends on various factors. You're always told beforehand and it's up to you as to whether you want to be involved or not.

As far as I understand it the BBC are looking for volunteers to stand around as part of a crowd - it's a non-walk-on non-speaking semi-directed role and as such it's unlikely folk will be paid. The administrative overheads for processing 100s of crowd members' payments would likely run into £1000s, let alone the payments themselves.

And what's wrong with people wanting to be involved and seeing themselves on TV??

I'll be there!

^ Oh dear, Grift, I typed out loud a thought - not allowed on a forum to share idea and thoughts, is it?

Yes, it will publicise Shetland, even if some is filmed elsewhere. However, ...

... given the hours involved, it isn't uncommon for extras to be paid. Of course it is down to the individual whether or not they care to participate. Paid - fine, not a problem. That amount of hours - no. So, whilst it may or may not bring more people and jobs to Shetland, you could argue (and just for the sake of debate) that the BBC is an employer and therefore should be paying extras. Now it is fine if you are doing drama at school/college/whatever but there are out-of-work actors and others who could benefit from say £50.

So, is it the right attitude to adopt - we're an employer but we'll want people to work for nothing? What happens if not enough people volunteer?

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to appear on TV and have their 5 minutes of fame and that is their perogative but not at the expense of others. I'm sure there's many an unemployed person in Shetland who would welcome the opportunity to earn some money but by the same token, others who are prepared to do it for nothing to have something to put on their CV.

Your suggestion that the admin cost for processing hundreds of crowd members' payments would likely run into thousands of pounds is, quite frankly, laughable.

It is my understanding that there are local people with more "significant" roles who are being paid.

The rest of your post would seem to indicate that you have little knowledge of the industry or the difference between an actor and an unpaid crowd extra, and I have no interest in entering a protracted debate about it with you.

It is my understanding that there are local people with more "significant" roles who are being paid.

The rest of your post would seem to indicate that you have little knowledge of the industry or the difference between an actor and an unpaid crowd extra, and I have no interest in entering a protracted debate about it with you.

You know, it's a shame that you take that view. I'm a great believer in that we learn from each other. Incidentally, I did do some work in the industry and continue to. Granted, a long time ago I went on tour with Great Eastern Stage and perish the thought, several of the regulars in my old local pub were actors. Must also remember that all of the transcripts I've done for the television and film industry count for nothing. But if you want to keep all your thoughts and ideas to yourselves, that's fine - it is such a shame though that you choose to keep such knowledge to yourself when there could be somebody reading this forum who is really keen in gaining work in such an industry.

Well, I must remember all the times I've been an extra (3), one of which was just a member of a crowd for a documentary about a rock band but hey, they managed to pay people and fed them, and provided transport.

Thank goodness for Equity!

Is there nothing you won't complain about unlinkedstudent?

NO! Its actually mindboggling! :roll:

Since when has a comment become a complaint? :shock:

Edit: Some may find this article interesting. Some argue that even an extra being directed (turn head to right, move forward 3 paces, etc.) means they should be paid. Times they are a changing!

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/34191/starnow-forces-advertisers-to-obey-minimum

Production companies pay the NI, they did when I worked with them. Either being paid by cheque or transfer costs, and the admin for this costs.

Many production companies are only around until the product is released. In a way, I have worked on more than 100. It was always exciting. It was great to see the folk who are getting a shot and being in a crowd, they would be themselves excited. It is great they are using some of the local population. I hope they have a great time, I know I did both on and off screen.

I dunno, there's just something of an "uncomfortable" feeling generated by the ethical and moral angles of a very large national commercial organisation, strongly "encouraging" folk to donate their time for free, then them earning from the result.

Dammit, almost sounded like a Trade Unionist there. :wink:

The BBC doesn't earn diddly. Even if sold by commercial arm this only supports the licence fee.

If you object to this then don't volunteer. The superior "look at those poor fame hungry mugs" attitude is somewhat telling.

The cost of filming anything in Shetland is both finacially and logistically prohibitive. You're lucky the BBC has enough integrity to even shoot externals on the islands. Most companies would not.

There are always moans.

You would need to establish if the BBC are the producers or commissioners. Many of the productions I worked on were not produced by the BBC but by an independent company set up by the money to facilitate the production. This works out to be cheaper and saves the tax payer overuns. Mind, it was always exciting to watch the rushes, see if you are on them.

Again, an exciting time for all involved and a great opportunity for folk to get involved...enjoy it.

• admin changed the title to BBC Shetland Series - Ann Cleeves novels filmed in Shetland