Looking for financing help for profitable enterprise...?

There is a fund called the Shetland Trust--- this was originally called "The Salvesen Fund" and was estabished to provide cheap start-up loans to ex-whalers who became unemployed when the whaling stopped.

The fund is administered by Tat & Peterson, Lawyers, Bank of Scotland Buildings,Lerwick. Tel 693010

Any ideas please!!??

Needing help financing an already profitable enterprise .

Banks are so tight these days, I'm looking for an alternative please?!

Thanks very much. Any help appreciated.

Unfortunately, by the very fact that you are posting this plea on Shetlink demonstrates that you are very very unlikely to succeed in any business venture.

A bit judgemental and harsh don't you think bug!

It never hurts to ask a question.

And judging a book by it's cover only begets ignorance. You never know what you may find once you delve into it

Fortunately you don't know me to judge my endeavours like that

I appreciate the value of those who give their input.

And most of the input is sound and helpful and sincere.

There are some comments, however, that are just destructive in nature but then fortunately you only need take what you want and leave the rest :)

The current economic climate dictates alternative methods than the old tried n true we know of from the past. They are and have failed many of us.

Listening to others who have walked a path you find yourself on can be enlightening. You should try it sometime. It makes you a little humble and a

little wiser.

Thank you for sharing your opinion though bug

Hope you have a really good week this week

Oops, I hope you pay more attention to small print - twas I that mentioned resident for a year, not Ghostie! Honestly, I know He sometimes logs on as moi but it really was me

IMHO.

Hi unlinked, yes I pay very close attention to the small print, hence my knowing I could address both of you at once just responding to the one:)

You are an extension of each other:) aren't you?

Thx for all the input shared:)

A bit judgemental and harsh don't you think bug!

It never hurts to ask a question.

And judging a book by it's cover only begets ignorance. You never know what you may find once you delve into it

Fortunately you don't know me to judge my endeavours like that

I appreciate the value of those who give their input.

And most of the input is sound and helpful and sincere.

There are some comments, however, that are just destructive in nature but then fortunately you only need take what you want and leave the rest :)

The current economic climate dictates alternative methods than the old tried n true we know of from the past. They are and have failed many of us.

Listening to others who have walked a path you find yourself on can be enlightening. You should try it sometime. It makes you a little humble and a

little wiser.

Thank you for sharing your opinion though bug

Hope you have a really good week this week

Nope Bog Standard 2 - My comment above was neither judgemental nor harsh, just pragmatic, and I stand by it. I sincerely think you should explore an alternative avenue to seek finance.

• 2 months later...
Any ideas please!!??

Needing help financing an already profitable enterprise .

Banks are so tight these days, I'm looking for an alternative please?!

Thanks very much. Any help appreciated.

You could ask, if you have had no joy, on Shetland Live. It is run by a Lerwick business woman who has worked hard and may be able to help.

www.shetlandlive.com

Wee bit of advice to you; don’t get too big too fast

If as you say you are profitable just slowly pump money back in and grow slowly and sustainably.

I made the mistake ten to a dozen years ago of overgrowing my order book and after a nightmare of a time had to give up.

My reasons were.

1 I needed skilled employees and unfortunately Shetland has very few out of work. Don’t ask the job centre as you will get an endless stream of people that are no use but have to apply to show they are trying for work.

2 Agency workers were expensive and poor quality (they are just there to do a job and don’t care).

3 Funding will not be forthcoming if you compete with established companies on the Islands.

If I were to start again (which I am not) I would probably start an operation in Aberdeen then target Shetland.

I could go on and on but that is enough for now.

... snip ...

1 I needed skilled employees and unfortunately Shetland has very few out of work. Don’t ask the job centre as you will get an endless stream of people that are no use but have to apply to show they are trying for work.

2 Agency workers were expensive and poor quality (they are just there to do a job and don’t care).

... snip ...

As someone who has been in and out of employment in Shetland due to a number of temporary contracts I see it from the other side.

I went to the job centre when I was working 3 days a week to see if there was anything I could do to get a few more hours. I didn't mind what I did, or when I did it. I just needed a few more hours as I was caught in the trap of earning enough to pay the rent and council tax, but not having enough to live on. JC+ just weren't interested in speaking to me.

When the part-time contract came to an end I was back on the dole again. Someone told me that I ought to look at the jobs on the rig safety boats. I had never done anything like it before, but was happy to give it a go. I found that I could get a basic boat handling course for free, one of the pre-requisites, but a couple of days before the course started my place was cancelled because I didn't have any sea experience. So how are you supposed to get experience if they won't give you experience?

The next idea was to get a fork lift licence. I knew that Shetland Catch often advertised for FLT drivers. I could get the course free if there was a job promise at the end of it. Shetland Catch couldn't make that promise, and when they advertised they expected to take people on within days. They wouldn't wait around for someone to get on a course then pass the test.

My experience of job agencies down south is that they are a bunch of paprasites supplying expensive staff that they pay minimum wage. It is hardly surprising that the staff have a less than brilliant attitude.

My apologies for taking this off topic.

Best of luck with the funding.