Internet Security

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok so this is mainly aimed at JAS but you should all listen. The internet is not always a safe place and one of the main rules is NEVER give out your address unless you absolutely have to. Ok so a 6ft 17yo in Shetland is unlikely to fall foul of anything nasty from the depths of cyberspace but there is always the chance of something happening. In fact I know of one IT professional in Shetland who uses a po box number for all internet business. Paranoid?......maybe but remember it is relatively easy to change e-mail details or a phone number but dammed hard to change address.

This is certainly some very sound advice.

Internet users of any age should remember that though the Internet is an electronic medium, rules that apply in 'the real world' such as you would heed as a protection to your well being, equally, and in some cases moreso, apply to you when you are using the Internet!

Shetlink aims to be an open medium to all its users, regardless of whom they might be. Shetlink however, would like to take this opportunity to ask users to heed the above advice, and to remind them that they are responcible for their own safety and well being when using this site, and any other, whilst accessing the Internet.

Happy Surfing.

The Shetlink Team

Ok so this is mainly aimed at JAS but you should all listen. The internet is not always a safe place and one of the main rules is NEVER give out your address unless you absolutely have to. Ok so a 6ft 17yo in Shetland is unlikely to fall foul of anything nasty from the depths of cyberspace but there is always the chance of something happening. In fact I know of one IT professional in Shetland who uses a po box number for all internet business. Paranoid?......maybe but remember it is relatively easy to change e-mail details or a phone number but dammed hard to change address.

I'm scared. You know my height and age 8O :D