crisps

dollydodo

Is it just me being old or are crisp flavours getting more and more bizarre?? I tend just to go for the ordinary flavours like good old plain, cheese n onion, smokey bacon, salt n vinegar. I can mind when the only crisps were plain with a peerie blue salt bag!!

And how many different brands?? Golden Wonder, Walkers, Kettle, McCoys, Brannigans, Tyndals, Nobby's (can you still get Smiths Salt n Shake, square crisps, or Discos???).

Every supermarket has their own brand as well. Must admit that I do like Somerfield's ones.

Also, is there any such thing as a 'low salt' flavour crisp?? Some of them are just SO salty!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(can you still get Smiths Salt n Shake, square crisps, or Discos???).

Yes, you can still get all of the above.

Although Smiths are now owned by Walkers.

As for saltiness - they aren't nearly as bad as they used to be - I remember as a kid getting crisps that were inedibly salty - but I suppose production processes and probably legislation has improved to make it less likely to happen. For low salt your best bet is to buy salt n' shake and do it yourself... (I like them with no salt at all).

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of the ridiculous..... in Australia they have chips (crisps) called Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs

But that's Australia for ya..... ;)

lynnie

:lol: :lol: LOL

Reality truly is stranger than fiction, well, it is in Australia anyway.

How come that in a nation that doesn't have time to pronounce any word two syllables or more without abbreviating it a firm can come up with a whole sentence to say "crisps".

Mind you now that i think about it, the name maybe is an abbreviation.

perhaps for Lovely Goblicated Blissfully Bombastic Chips, or such like.

We don't have as many flavours as you do for crisps over here in the states, but our soda (or fizzy drink or pop or whatever you want to call it) has become quite ridiculous. I went into one of the fast food places here (Taco Bell) and they had about 8 choices. The only 2 normal choices were diet pepsi and pepsi. Everything else was something I had never heard of before...Baja Blast?

As far as crisps go, I still long for smith square cheese and onion or salt and vinegar!

Cheesey Wotsits - But don't sniff your fingers afterwards 8O

Same advice, but to be applied to scampi fries. They smell... familiar.

There's an email knocking around with a full blown advert to that effect. I'm not going to describe it in its entirety, suffice to say it's of a smutty adult nature. You'll know what i meant when you see it. :wink:

Bacon fries/rashers/razzles/whatever ......drool....deelish. :D

Doritos are good too, do they count as crisps? :?

Is it just me being old or are crisp flavours getting more and more bizarre?? I tend just to go for the ordinary flavours like good old plain, cheese n onion, smokey bacon, salt n vinegar. I can mind when the only crisps were plain with a peerie blue salt bag!!

Do you remember before they were plastic? They were more like greaseproof paper or summat and were great to blow up and burst. :lol: