Polls can not be relied upon, I would think that it will be a continual guessing game. As would a vote for Shetland self rule. As we may remember, the concensus on here was that Billy was going to win the nationals, yet, failed. It would be very difficult to take party politics into the mix when the council is currently already independant.....

^ They could at least make some attempt at delivering an as reasonably accurate as possible general overview of how they envision things could work, in the worst case scenario of others simply not playing ball to an independent Scotland's advantage.

I think most folk are quite capable of figuring out for themselves how "good" an independent Scotland *might* be, but its a little less straightforward to second guess how bad it could get unless the architects of the plan make it clear what they would and wouldn't be willing to try and do, and how realistic those measures were likely to be, and what the cost might be, were they to end up in a position of having to got it alone.

Independent Scotland will lose Orkney and Shetland

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark revives claim of right under 500 year old Udal Law to reclaim sovereignty of Shetland and Orkney Isles.

http://ahdinnaeken.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/danish-shetlands.jpg?w=500&h=177

“A tragic irony of life is that we so often achieve success or financial independence after the chief reason for which we sought it has passed away.†– Ellen Glasgow

By Ilaf Maheedaf

AN INDEPENDENT Scotland will have to hand back Shetland and Orkney according to Denmark’s British Ambassador.

In partnership with Norway’s King Harald V, the Danish regent Queen Margrethe II intends reviving the ancient rites of Udal Law which were ratified by the Scottish parliament in 1567.

According to Udal law, the Scottish parliament is legally bound to return the islands to Norway upon repayment of the Kalmar Union dowry following the betrothal of Margaret of Denmark to King James III of Scotland in 1468.

The Danish Queen claims to have in her possession authenticated copies of the 1575-7 Orkney & Shetland Lawbooks which allow the islands to revert to their previous territorial possession under the Kalmar Union.

Every copy of these books were believed destroyed by an agent of the Scottish crown, Patrick Stuart, around 1579.

But acclaimed Danish historian Olaf Gerritupyeson discovered copies of the books in the Soviet wartime archives in Moscow.

He believes the Nazis looted the historical lawbooks after the occupation of Denmark by the Wehrmacht in 1940.

Under the auspice of Udal law the Orkneys and Shetlands will revert back to Denmark and Norway on the repayment of the dowry believed to be around 10,000 Kroner.

It has been calculated that, due to interest rates and inflation, the figure could be as high as $3.7 billion dollars.

Norwegian Finance Minister Sigbjørn Jahnsen has already tabled a motion in Norways’s parliament seeking permission to use monies from Norway’s Oil Fund on behalf of the Norwegian and Danish governments.

He said: “This could be one of the most lucrative and ethical investments we make with our Investment Fund monies.â€

Controversially, historian David Starkey helped verify the authenticity of the lawbooks and the constitutional legality of the dowry repayments.

He said: “There is no doubting the wording of the laws contained in these ratified lawbooks. Should Denmark or Norway make the requisite dowry repayment, Scotland must return the sovereign territories – they have no right over the islands in any type of constitutional law.

“The only contentious issue appears to be just how much the 10,000 Kroner would be worth in today’s currency.â€

Scottish Cabinet Secretary for Culture and External Affairs Fiona Hyslip  said: “We are currently seeking alternative views on the legal implications of these laws.

“The Scottish government is sure they wouldn’t stand up to the rigours of modern International advocacy.â€

^ That is very interesting, I have seen this before. Although this campaign is still about just personalities, the Scottish Gov should respond. Again though, with existing contracts, would the oil industry be happy, I have yet found any document to say they would be. As ever though, with so much money involved, would it be fair to Shetland? Faroe does not have the oil and gets "aid" of about 5% GDP. It would be impossible to make any comparisons I would think.

Has a model of how this would work been put forward?

Would there be enough who would want to become a subject to another country?

AN INDEPENDENT Scotland will have to hand back Shetland and Orkney according to Denmark’s British Ambassador.

Why wait for independence?  If the claim is valid then, they could settle up (to the Queen I believe) and ask for us now.  Wouldn't that set the cat amongst the pigeons..... 

Oh yes, and the authors name appears to be 'I laugh my headoff'

• 2 weeks later...

One big problem for companies will be the pensions. If Scotland were to become inependant, this will cause problems. Take BAE. Those who live and work for BAE in Scotland will have to contribute to their own fund, as with current laws, offshore pension funds have to be self funding. This could wipe out the pension fund. The same issues could affect other large companies. In the case of BAE, many of the assets within the sites at Warton and Samlesbury, and no doubt elsewhere are in the ownership of the pension company to keep it viable. It will be complecated times for some if Scotland does become self governing with its own constitution.

I would think the LGPS will also have to be looked at and of course paid for.