How do I get a fibre connection ?

hairyian

@hairyian

I see what you are saying.

Assuming the cable will eventually run down the main road south where a mast of some sort wouold be, a community 2 miles off that... would that be affected by bad weather or good weather at all?

Would the community be paying for the mast and stuff, or just connections to the houses? Would this be a cable from houses to a local 'hub' or does everyone have a dish?

And where does an ISP fit into this or would we be required use Shetland Telecom instead of present ones?

[i reckon a Topic devoted to the whole new fibre thing would be better idea ;)]

Sorry for all the questions!

Microwave link; The shorter the distance the lest likely it will be affected by atmospherics / high pressure type of thing. 2 Miles, it is still possible, but pretty rare.

Anything above ground can be affected by weather events. Dish blown away ... icing on front of dish, general corrosion / wear and tear. These events are more likely to happen than a fibre failure.

Someone has to pay for the infrastructure. Whether that is the community entirely, partly by service provider, partly by grants, any permutation thereof.

There are currently over 200 ISPs available. But only a handfuf provide their own network. These latter ones do 'bulk deals' with BT, C&W, Telefonica and so on. There is nothing stopping these folk doing a deal with a Cummunity Group, but is that very likely ?

It will be your project, you decide what you want. You need to ask the group :

Do we want fibe, wireless, copper?

Do we do the whole thing ourselves or just bits of it and contract the hard bits to someone else to do?

Do we want to be our own ISP? Shetland Telecom sells wholesale at the Bulk Delivery Point (how many hundred Mbps do want / can afford?) Shetland Broadband can work on getting a more affordable chunk out to where you want it. But the networks are just starting to come on line, so some places are a doddle, whilst others are still a head scratch.

Both the afore mentioned organisations are happy to talk to local groups in their community to answer questions, give pointers and advice.

This is very much a 'one size does NOT fit all' approach.

Since I can't see this cable coming down south any time soon, there is no rush, there is no community group asking, just me.

I'm sorry if you have heard these questions a million times, I just don't recall reading the answers.

Once the wires/fibre/microwaves are in place, would you HAVE to switch ISP. I know you said that not many provide the network. Assuming that there aren't any new players in Shetand, does this mean the only option for fibre speeds would be Shetland Broadband (at the moment). If the wires etc are there, would you still be able to keep ADSL if you wanted and change later?

Given what you said about the cost, it looks like a microwave link would have to make the link. There are plenty of farmers and tractors to dig trenches but I doubt they would all agree to have their fields dug up.

Microwave being the probability, you didn't answer regarding the hub... would house be wired to a local microwave hub point or would each have a dish point toward a local micro hub, or, would each house have a dish pointing at a mast on the south road?

With a microwave set up, are there any limits with distance if there IS a local hub involved?

Hope that all makes sense, and sorry again for all the questions.

:D

It is quite simple that you please visit this website ".L-com","CarbonFiberJoint","lanshack","techdirt" etc.These sites will be given a information about how to get fiber connection.Fiber connection technology is new technology such as fiber-to-the-home broadband connections that allow for easier use of features such as videoconferencing.I also use this connection for my pc.Now a days there are widely used in all over the world.

Since I can't see this cable coming down south any time soon, there is no rush, there is no community group asking, just me.

I'm sorry if you have heard these questions a million times, I just don't recall reading the answers.

Once the wires/fibre/microwaves are in place, would you HAVE to switch ISP. I know you said that not many provide the network. Assuming that there aren't any new players in Shetand, does this mean the only option for fibre speeds would be Shetland Broadband (at the moment). If the wires etc are there, would you still be able to keep ADSL if you wanted and change later?

Given what you said about the cost, it looks like a microwave link would have to make the link. There are plenty of farmers and tractors to dig trenches but I doubt they would all agree to have their fields dug up.

Microwave being the probability, you didn't answer regarding the hub... would house be wired to a local microwave hub point or would each have a dish point toward a local micro hub, or, would each house have a dish pointing at a mast on the south road?

With a microwave set up, are there any limits with distance if there IS a local hub involved?

Hope that all makes sense, and sorry again for all the questions.

:D

An ISP has two options to supply its customers. First, they can install their own network. Second, they can do a deal with another service provider that has a network.

So, it is a question of above. If your preferred ISP does not wish to install their own network in your area, or do a deal with someone who has, then they will not be able to serve you.

ADSL is a technology utilising the telephone line. If the alternative network does not use the copper telephone line, then any ADSL service can continue. But, you can only have one ADSL, or VDSL service, at a time on a telephone line.

If using a radio link, the most likely scenario is each property have a small antenna pointing at a central relay station. But, it is possible to have one antenna and then a local cable distribution system.

Longish microwave distances are possible, say 20 km, but you are into heavy engineering with dish sizes of at least 1 Metre diameter. For 'local' distribution I would say try and keep to under 2 km and then you can use an antenna of 10-30 cm.

• 1 month later...