flotsam and jetsam

fionajohn

how many people know the laws on flotsam and jetsam i would like the tourist board to specify that any material above the high water mark is the property of the salvor and should not be removed

Sounds like a demand to me.

Why should you demand that the Tourist Board pontificate on your behalf on a subject that has effall to do with them?

(and why do I get the impression this is nothing more than a crude rant against an individual put into a broader domain.......?)

[edit] and why rant on here if you're targetting the Toorist Board :?

Guest posiedon
how many people know the laws on flotsam and jetsam i would like the tourist board to specify that any material above the high water mark is the property of the salvor and should not be removed

Flotsam is wreckage or cargo floating in the sea maybe following an accident, jetsam is stuff deliberately thrown overboard (for whatever reason) jettisoned I fail to see how either could be found above the high water mark, did you mean low water mark?

As has been already said, what's got got to do with the tourist board?

I fail to see how either could be found above the high water mark, ...

That is the whole point. Stuff which is there is likely to have been moved there, hence the OP's comment. In practical terms the high water mark isn't as relevant as the banks broo. At one time this was pretty basic stuff locally, but times have changed and toories certainly don't seem to have much experience of such matters.

I fail to see how either could be found above the high water mark, did you mean low water mark?

Well, if something is below the high water mark, it is yours to salvage, but if it is above the high water mark, it has already been recovered - by someone else, and should be left alone. I guess the OP has maybe had some scran removed by tourists? I have seen piles of saved wood disappear - burned on a beach bonfire - but whether that was by tourists or ignorant locals I do not know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Boatingandtravellingbywater/Keepingsafeatthecoast/DG_186009

I fail to see how either could be found above the high water mark, did you mean low water mark?

Well, if something is below the high water mark, it is yours to salvage, but if it is above the high water mark, it has already been recovered - by someone else, and should be left alone. I guess the OP has maybe had some scran removed by tourists? I have seen piles of saved wood disappear - burned on a beach bonfire - but whether that was by tourists or ignorant locals I do not know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Boatingandtravellingbywater/Keepingsafeatthecoast/DG_186009

Well, if someone has gone to the trouble of dragging the dead whale/fishbox/UXB off the beach and then leaves it, my attitude would be "thanks for doing the hard work fer me" 8) Into the back of the pickup it goes......

Move it or lose it. Easy.