Dongle

Frances144

most of the folks I know use 3 - do not use Orange (great for tarrifs, phones etc but not mobile broadband)

O2 dongles work best in town

best thing to do is pop into a shop with fully charged macbook and the person selling the dongle should show you how to work it & help you set it up on the correct tariff for you.

using your mobile as a way to connect to the internet is far more expensive than it used to be, beware. Unlimmited used to cost £2/month 10years ago on one2one, now if you go over your allowance it can cost you £10/day on some networks, how I miss the old one2one business contracts.

Yep, a dongle for a mobile network is going to be quite expensive and probably very slow for the uploading of photos.

Do you perhaps mean a Wi-Fi dongle? To give you wireless access at locations offering free (or paid) WiFi?

Even paying for WiFi is much cheaper than a mobile network and I have found access to be generally as easy to find as a decent mobile signal.

I haven't been aware of them being on sale here recently, possibly because only O2 have 3g access in Lerwick so they are not much use here. '''''''''''''''''Vodafone quote £5 for 250 Mb

If you have a 3g phone you can use that as a modem.

My Three phone and Dongle worked in Shetland, quite a way out of town as well. My phone can get 7 mb in places.

I guess the problem is not using it in Shetland though.

If you are with BT internet, they have WiFi zones you can use, mine come as part of the package. Logging onto another persons wifi is a no no, without permission.

Anyhow, enjoy your holidays.

What sort of phone do you have?

On a recent trip away, I used my iPhone, set it to act as a wireless hotspot and connected with my laptop. I phoned Vodafone before hand and they gave me 1.5GB to use for £7. It was very fast, was getting a good 8mb download and a faster upload than I get at home.