Olympic torch

DizzyKipper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is a fantastic opportunity for Shetland to get some very positive exposure in the National media. We already have a correspondant from Radio 1 on the Isles and with the BBC coverage being 'all encompassing' it should give us the opportunity to pull out all the stops.

Quite a few people have said already that the Olympics seem so far away from Shetland, which is probably true enough, but this event is right on our doorstep and I think we should not only embrace it, but get right behind it and our fantastic torch bearers!!

Now lets hope for a nice day so the events at the Clickimin can be as well attended as possible!

:lik:

^

What a load of patronising pish.

Well, I hadn't got round to Sir Seb Coe yet but now you mention it :wink:

No, I didn't mention him. I was clearly referring to Kavi Ugl's insulting post.

Now - decision time for you.

Either 1) You are completely stupid and didn't realise that.

Or 2) You are breaching the first of Shetlink's T&Cs by indulging in a spot of gentle trolling.

I know which I believe it to be but hey, go on...be a sport.

I think that without question there is a lot of murkiness behind the scenes. You just have to look at the various allegations of corruption over the years to see this.

I have a friend who studied sport at college and I remember her telling me that as part of her course they had studied the Olympics and were told that no city/country that has ever hosted the games has come out of it financially better off.

In terms of Shetland it just seems a lot of OTT nonsense over something that in reality has so little relevance to here.

^

What a load of patronising pish.

Well, I hadn't got round to Sir Seb Coe yet but now you mention it :wink:

No, I didn't mention him. I was clearly referring to Kavi Ugl's insulting post.

Now - decision time for you.

Either 1) You are completely stupid and didn't realise that.

Or 2) You are breaching the first of Shetlink's T&Cs by indulging in a spot of gentle trolling.

I know which I believe it to be but hey, go on...be a sport.

And of course you're not?

I really wish Shetlanders would boycott it and stay away but sadly I would imagine the simple masses will show little thought and flock there for something to do and in turn "celebrate" it.

Simple masses! Is there anyone or anything about Shetland and it's inhabitants you haven't insulted yet?

If I hated everything about this place as much as you seem to i'd have been out of it long ago!

Some people have been chosen to carry the torch for giving a lifetimes volunteering to sport, some for amazing achievements like a post-transplant 16 year old who won a gold medal last year.

What shows 'little thought' is someone referring to the Proud Family and Friends of these people coming to watch as the "simple masses" and calling on them to boycott it.

^ I'll clarify my view on the Olympics. I have nothing against people participating in sports but certain things get my back up. Yep, years ago I did enjoy watching it on TV but in the last month or so, I haven't turned it on. Why? You can turn any channel on without some advert/sponsor/whatever (including Auntie Beeb) mentioning the blooming thing.

Tickets for the opening ceremony now on sale with prices starting from £995. Yeah, like the average family is going to be able to afford that!

Promises of loads of social housing for the poverty stricken boroughs holding the games - one particular borough is getting something like less than 150 homes out of over 1,000 built, the majority of the flats being sold at prices many average Londoner can't afford.

I remember being in London when it was announced we'd got the games, the same day bombs went off. This was at the same time of the campaign to stop poverty in Africa.

How much money is being spent on the Olympics? Will GB PLC make a profit out of it? Some Landlords definitely are, with Tenants being evicted to make way for renting the same accommodation for a few weeks to tourists.

Construction jobs? I know loads of peeps in London who applied and never even got a reply, apart from the standard registration letter, despite telephoning on a weekly, sometimes daily basis.

The effect on local economy - many can't get to work (oops, Central Line at Stratford was flooded and still suffering delays).

The Olympics is, IMHO, yet another event that used to mean so much but these days, is just taken over by the corporate giants.

Patronising? I'm not referring to Kavi's post but the whole ideology 'We're hosting the Olympic Games and you're going to like it and attend and get behind it' - yeah, I find that patronising.

Are we all in awe of all the places the torch has travelled through so far? Can we name them all? Are we rushing to spend our next holidays there?

Who said I was refering to the individuals chosen to carry the torch?. I have no doubt some are special and worthy people.

I was refering to the people who will get sucked into this blurb without giving it a second thought.

I would guess 99% of the inhabitants of London don't even know what or where the "Shetlands" are......

I think unlinkedstudent has a point - the media are only showing us what they want us to see. An empty street isn't going to make for good television!.

The Olympics are now no different to sport in general - it's all a business and about making money for the sponsors and advertisers.

I'm only hazarding a guess but I would think most ordinary people who are having to deal with rising energy bills, car insurance, the criminal price of fuel etc, etc will wonder why £ billions have been spent on this.

I don't hate Shetland at all, but what I do hate is this attitude that I have to say everything that happens here is great and fantastic.

Guest CyprusPluto

All that's important tomorrow is that all those selected individuals that will carry the torch have a good day and enjoy their turn.

Best of luck to all of them