Olympic torch

DizzyKipper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote :- The Torch will be designed to withstand adverse weather conditions that the great British climate may present throughout the relay,

Do you think this might be the end of the traditional Up-Helly-Aa torch as we know it ? " wid be a lock less reek " ! :shock:

The reason the Torch is coming here is to make us as Shetlanders feel apart of this special event!

Being allowed to feel apart from it would be good.

I'm sure folk who are keen on sport think its all great, but why the rest of us who don't give a monkey's for any kind of sport related event whatsoever are supposed to even care, is beyond me.

Have at the Olympics and whatever broo haa haa is laid on to follow it, but don't expect everyone to jump up and down chanting "Goodie, goodie gumdrops..." or even to remotely like it for that matter.

I think that half of you ShetLinkers should move south, as you seem to find everything going on/happening in Shetland annoying/irritating!

I'll pass over this bit of advice I think, if you don't mind. The most irritating things happening in Shetland as a rule are the things that occur because "south" expects us to do as they do, and like it.

...Would you agree that around 75% of Shetlands population will have a opportunity to see the Torch, if they so wish that is!

Would that include anyone outwith Lerwick en route who might just get a teeny weeny likkle glance of the torch if they can see over the tops of the security entourage accompanying it? Some might want to venture into town only to find they miss it due to the rolling roadblock ... and gawd knows what they'll make of the random bag searches at this alcohol-free event.

So if you don't 'Give A Monkeys' Ghostfarter....oops, sorry, Ghostrider........why are you writing on this thread which is clearly on the subject of The Olympics, which in turn is the heart of sport!!

This is another example of the point that I have highlighted many a time about 'you's lot' commenting when you have no real interest in the subject being discussed! If you don't 'Give A Monkeys' then keep your peerie bananas in your tree!

Quote :- The Torch will be designed to withstand adverse weather conditions that the great British climate may present throughout the relay,

Do you think this might be the end of the traditional Up-Helly-Aa torch as we know it ? " wid be a lock less reek " ! :shock:

Only if lit with an e-cigarette. :wink:

...Would you agree that around 75% of Shetlands population will have a opportunity to see the Torch, if they so wish that is!

Would that include anyone outwith Lerwick en route who might just get a teeny weeny likkle glance of the torch if they can see over the tops of the security entourage accompanying it? Some might want to venture into town only to find they miss it due to the rolling roadblock ... and gawd knows what they'll make of the random bag searches at this alcohol-free event.

Are you suggesting that there will be burly men lining the whole route......come on now!! And if you miss it.......well you should of been on time! It's going o be on view for at least 3 hours, are you intending to walk into town from Unst or somewhere similar that will make you late for the fantastic event?!?!

So if you don't 'Give A Monkeys' Ghostfarter....oops, sorry, Ghostrider........why are you writing on this thread which is clearly on the subject of The Olympics, which in turn is the heart of sport!!

This is another example of the point that I have highlighted many a time about 'you's lot' commenting when you have no real interest in the subject being discussed! If you don't 'Give A Monkeys' then keep your peerie bananas in your tree!

Yeah but Bubble But, sorry, Bear some of these people like to be heard whether they're interested or not!

This is a thread about the 'Olympic Torch', not the Olympics, check the title. Correct, I have no interest in sport whatsoever, I have even less in the Olympics, and below that still in their torch. I do however have an interest in Shetland, and as we're apparently having sport, the Olympics and their torch going to be dumped on us for a day, I have a very real interest in, and opinion of it from that perspective.

By all means take it to those who want it, and let those who think its worth getting all exicted over get on with it, but let folk who think its the biggest pile of it, not know its happening.

So where do you live Ghostrider, I'll make sure they know not to come anywhere near you, just incase you throw your keyboard at them.........

Live on Keyboard Warriors!!

I shall repeat that this event, all going well, will be fantastic for all!! And for those keyboard warriors who don't wish to venture into the town of doom, you could always watch it on a live feed online......

This is a thread about the 'Olympic Torch', not the Olympics, check the title. Correct, I have no interest in sport whatsoever, I have even less in the Olympics, and below that still in their torch. I do however have an interest in Shetland, and as we're apparently having sport, the Olympics and their torch going to be dumped on us for a day, I have a very real interest in, and opinion of it from that perspective.

By all means take it to those who want it, and let those who think its worth getting all exicted over get on with it, but let folk who think its the biggest pile of it, not know its happening.

[***Mod edit - personal attack removed. Please see T & Cs***]