Olympic torch

DizzyKipper

Just come back from the Relay.......what a fantastic success it has been!!!

Thousands, and I mean thousands, lined the streets of Lerwick to cheer the Torch on! Everybody cheering, the Jarl Squad going a fantastic job as 'Guard of Honour' and great presentation on at the Clickimin!!

I was also in the company of the media following the Torch throughout the country and they said, and I quote "this has been the best location, atmosphere and experience we've seen for the Torch relay"!! Now doesn't that speak louder than words!! We can always do it best when it comes to large events right here in Shetland!!

THOUSANDS? Are you being sarcastic? Obviously the live webcam feed must have been supplying something else because it didn't look like thousands. There can't have been more than a couple of 100 (if that) at the pier, and there were huge chunks of streets with nobody on them.

It would appear someone's tag line isn't working. :wink:

JEEEESUS CHRIST!!!! WHAT a surprise. A 'live' news feed get off ure lazy ass and come and see it for yourself for gods sake. At LEAST.....the very LEAST a couple o thousand at Clickimin. FFS u and your boyfiend get out the door and go and enjoy life and even your relationship rather than communicating thro Shetlink. Get a bloody LIFE.

Again Mods do as you please!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands, and I mean thousands, lined the streets of Lerwick to cheer the Torch on!

I doot dir wis a sicht mair furt an aboot idda toon da streen idda smaa hoors - dats whin wir "culture" wyes ir it dir best. :wink:

Thats a bit better sarcasm right there GR!

Do 'you's lot' having anything positive to say about what has happened today?!?!

Yes - two clients sent me urgent work and whilst having breaks in-between the jobs, BT Broadband remained stable for me to send the work done so far back. Unfortunately, BT failed to provide sufficient for the BBC live coverage for their livestream link (if indeed it was BT).

I did, however, enjoy our own webcams showing what appeared to be a police cyclist nearly getting run over by a blue taxi pulling into the pier carpark. :wink: You could tell the cyclist wanted to go after said driver but couldn't.

Some of us do working for a living (including at w/ends) but if you read above, I had offered to run another Shetlinker into town - I could have popped to Tesco's at the same time.

There were certainly decent crowds forming up when we drove through earlier this afternoon.

So it would seem that the 'negative spin/empty drum' pish and wind brigade on here have been well outnumbered by the 'simple masses'.......

Odd how some fowk can't bear to see other people actively taking part in something that they personally disagree with. Comment must be passed, others must be taught the errors of their ways by the Omniscient Ones.

They really should work on concerning themselves less with other peoples personal choices of leisure activities and also less time bolstering their own fragile online egos with tedious pages of self righteous, pompous, bluster.

There were certainly decent crowds forming up when we drove through earlier this afternoon.

So it would seem that the 'negative spin/empty drum' pish and wind brigade on here have been well outnumbered by the 'simple masses'.......

Odd how some fowk can't bear to see other people actively taking part in something that they personally disagree with. Comment must be passed, others must be taught the errors of their ways by the Omniscient Ones.

They really should work on concerning themselves less with other peoples personal choices of leisure activities and also less time bolstering their own fragile online egos with tedious pages of self righteous, pompous, bluster.

Hurrah someone who can say what I want to say without being as blunt!

We were at the park fairly early on so didn't have to queue long for anything. We saw John Nicolson, wandered over to Tesco to watch Zoe go by then went back to Clickimin to see the Cauldron being lit.

The whole family enjoyed an afternoon out in the fresh air with some good music in the background. Given the big number of people who seemed to be enjoying themselves I think it was a success.

Some of us do working for a living (including at w/ends)

Well I was working too. I had to put together a speech I will be giving in the Parliament on Thursday.

But I managed without too much difficulty to split my screen, type on one half and watch the live stream – once it got started – on the other. I felt privileged to see the sun shining on the familiar roads in Lerwick and so many folks out cheering on the torch bearers, many of them personally by name as you would expect in the Shetland community.

The only disappointment – about which I tweeted – was that, following on from its failure constructively to report on the flotilla in London last weekend, the BBC seemed unable to engage with the yoal trip. You would have thought a cameraman could have managed to walk down to the lochside and show us the crowds and the torch on its boat journey.

Glad everyone had a good time and Shetland was so well represented!

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/4258-olympic-braand-gets-viking-welcome.html

I was there too. It was great to see so many people (and yes there were thousands) out supporting the torch bearers.

Seems like the simple masses won the day!

I could have popped to Tesco's at the same time.

Dunno where you might have parked! But I guess the store would have been pretty empty.

Living outside Glasgow now, I watched the live feed from Shetland and was delighted to see such a good turnout! Folk lining the streets, cheering, applauding, playing Chariots of Fire on trombone (beside da Widows Homes).

A great turnout for such a small place. Good also to see many folk I knew - including son, daughter, and their respective kids.

Leaving aside estimates of "crowd" numbers, as you obviously saw very different sections of "crowd" than I saw. What is all this about not being able to tolerate others choices, preferences and opinions, and "teaching" them to be otherwise. Believe me, my lack of fondness for the entire human race is such that should I see a stranger about to step off a cliff, I doubt I'd so much as blink.

This is, last I checked, a public forum where anyone who chooses can post their opinions and beliefs, whatever they are (within the confines of statute and site T&C's), and as such those will cover the full spectrum and many will oppose each other.

Like I said above, I'm not disputing nor trying to change the mind of those to whom sport is "important" or at least a keen interest, that in all probability today's charade was sort kind of big deal. I couldn't disagree with them more about their belief and opinion on that, but I really could not care one jot that they hold it, and certainly aren't and won't be wasting any of my time trying to "convert" them to any other belief. They're welcome to live on eternally in whatever their rose tints show them.

I am simply expressing my opinion that I believe the Olympics, and all the broo haa haa and charades that accompany it, is the biggest pile of tosh going, in the same way as others have already expressed their opinion that they believe its the greatest thing since bread that sliced itself.... I am also expressing my opinion that I have had it up to well beyond here with all the "Olympics" spoon fed propaganda that the "Olympics are brilliant, you must like them and you damn well will like them....".

I'm glad that at least somebody got in to it, as then its wasn't all entirely wasted time, money and effort, but that's not going to change my opinion that it most certainly was. Nor is it going to change my belief and opinion that the only reason there's been no more opposition than has been, is through the use of "repeat the same lie often enough and people will believe it" philosophy.

What anyone else believes is their problem, I'm sticking with my take, and simply doing what those who believe they like the whole Olympics deal have already done, expressing my opinion. While its the opposite of their's, and may or may not be widely held, I really neither know nor care, its mine, just as their's is their's. It would be nice to think its in the minority opinion, as its so boring to be a "get with the program" person, but if its in the majority, I can live with that on this one.

Where is the problem with holding and expressing any opinion on whatever subject I so choose. Have we finally gone Commie and gotten thought police and total censorship? Strange, I thought the mob in London right now erred (allegedly) to the right, not the far left....

R.I.P. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it" - You were a useful illusion in life, but I fear you have gone to join the already deceased "Common sense" et al.....