work in shetland

spook

good morning Shetland . i am seriously thinking about moving to shetland for a better life i am 51 single a hgv driver but can turn my hand to anything i am a very good mechanic too and scooter mechanic , my question is can i get work when i get there i have a 2bed council house here in bolton lancs i have been looking for a exchange to shetland but with no luck i may give this house up and come in my camper find work then a house i will need a minimum 1 bed at the present time but as time goes by i will need two as i have a little girl who is 7 and she will stay in school holidays when i am settled in. i need a fresh start and shetland will give me that i love the solitude and love my being on my own lol ..what part of shetland will i have to be looking i don't want lerwick as its a town, i want piece and quiet but in saying that will have to find work in time . thanks for looking sean glendening

Hi Sean,

I hate to say it mate but unless you are fixed up with something before you come then you are better staying at home.

At least there you have a house to live in and I assume a job.

There is very little housing available here now and I believe the waiting list is about 400.

Jobs I am afraid are going to be in short supply as well. The same cuts you are experiencing down South are happening up here. There is work available but most of these seem to be contracted out.

Where I live there are quite a few folk that have moved up here to work and I usually see them going to the shop every day to spend their Giros on White Lightning.

If you are looking for a better life would moving into the countryside where you are not be better? At least you could commute to work and would know the area.

All the best Mike

I would agree that council housing, especially outside the town of Lerwick is very little! If you are willing to rent, it's usually around £500 a month at worst in my experience!!

On a good note, Shetland is a fantastic place to live, especially if you ate looking for the quite life, but there are always things going on if you fancy being social!!

In terms of location, south Shetland I would say is 'easier' to get to as its just one long main road, but if you want to be a bit isolated, then north of Shetland would be more your thing, such as Nesting or Aith! Nice quite place to live in south Shetland would be Quendale, Levenwick or Sandwick which has a great community spirit about it!!

What ever you decide I wish you all the best and hope things work out!!

Bubble Bear

hi i moved to shetland last august with my 2 children from oldham i think its best thing i ever did ... but hubby is still in oldham as job wise he is finding it hard to find one.. had couple of interviews but no luck so far.. so all he can do is visit ever other month and keep looking...

nice to hear a northerner lol shetland times last week there was loads of jobs i could do . i have sent shetland transport a email so await there reply . i have had enough here its doing my head in its not the town i was brought up in any more . i am about to come to shetland come what may there is a house in brai who wants a swap down here just waiting of the scaffold being moved as we are having new roofs then i can send her pictures. shetland has got to be better than here for the pace of life the wildlife the beautiful scenery i cant wait , when i eventually get there i heard you can get a discount for the boat will this apply for my daughter sand sons if they want to visit

thanks sean

Northlink occasionally advertise a friends and family discount, where you can nominate people on the mainland to get a discount for a limited time - bit the ferry service will soon be taken over by serco, so I dont suppose anyone really knows if that will continue.

hi ull love it up here, i have a council house on fetlar and there is a 1 and a 2 bed empty up here at moment ... not sure about anywhere else on shetland but bet there is some in other places if u dont fancy going to far north lol...
Sure there are empty homes on Fetlar but the chances of finding a full time job are seriously limited. Commuting might be OK while the ferry to Unst and Yell is free but will that last?.....and anyway come winter the ferry does not always run. Employers know this.

Hello Sean,

You seem very keen but a word of caution is that for every person who tells you it's a bed of roses here, there are those who are leaving having discovered that life in Shetland wasn't the dream they imagined.

You maybe saw lots of jobs in The Shetland Times but Shetland is already in an era where the applicants for each job is very high and with the impending cuts from the Shetland Islands Council it can only get worse.

If you are determined to leave where you are, you could always consider a rural part of Scotland?. The job prospects and variety will be better there.

I'm sorry, but to come here "come what may" is a bad move and has an air of desperation about it which runs an even bigger risk of ending in tears.

I have heard first hand accounts concerning people who were lured to Shetland because of the blurb about how great it is only to leave a few years later feeling mis-led and a little resentful because they weren't told the full truth, in particular about how long and harsh the winters are.

Does it have to be Shetland?. As I say, there are many other options in rural Scotland you could consider.

Hi Sean

Housing might be an issue, but I'm sure you should find work with your skills and find that Shetland is a good place to live.

It's not always easy, but if you integrate into the community you will find most to be very friendly and positive, with the exception of Kavi ulg, who takes every opportunity to rubbish the place.

Perhaps you could do a house swap with Kavi as your keen to move and he/she obviously thinks the grass is greener elsewhere :wink:

Kavi is a he.

He is not fond of incomers, but the best thing to do is ignore him. He is in a very small minority. Shetland has always been good with me, whether living there or visiting. Most of the folk are very nice, a little guarded at times but that is the same with any community.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Sean

I was advised by all not to come it's bleak it's isolated it's got awful winters etc etc.

I've been here over a year and LOVE IT!!

Best thing my children n I could have done!!

Yes to all the negs they exist but the positives WAY outweigh them!!

It all depends on your mind set.

If you come focused on success you will be.

We did struggle for a while after we came up but pushed through and are very blessed for it. Your children will love holidays up here.

It's a great place for children.

If you need help or anything when you get up give a shout :-)