work in shetland

spook

Yes, yes, I was expecting the usual slagging I get for telling the truth :roll:

I see some of the posters on this thread don't even have 5 years here to speak of.....

Oh well, I suppose if your mind is made up you'll just have to dive in an give it a try.

Sorry Kavi but your not "telling the truth" you are, as usual, giving your one sided, constant, negative opinion of these isles, and to be quite honest your negativity regarding Shetland gets up people's noses, and yet you fail to understand why you get the ."usual slagging" as you put it.

I for one can't understand why you continue to live here, when you think so little of the place.

Why don't you list 5 things that make Shetland a special place to live, just to prove your not all doom and gloom

:D

I don't think Kavi should be accused of being negative for being honest. Yes Shetland can be a great place to live but then it can be awful. If I knew 9 years ago what I know now I would never have come. And that is with the benefit of friends and family who are Shelties born and bred.

I just can't see how people can be so set on moving here when they have never been. Why would anybody move with no job or place to stay move to a place where they don't know anybody?

To be fair, I think Kavi ( this time) has not been unfair in his posting. It is harder now to get work and housing than for many years. There are people that come here and realise its not for them. Promote Shetland have web pages dedicated to moving to Shetland, filled with beautiful pictures of sunny days. We all know it doesnt look like that often, we have more days with high winds and grey skies - but you have to dig a little deeper to find out the real Shetland.

Life in Shetland can be tough. But it's perfect for many. I know quite a few shetlanders that are likely to never live here again, but I know quite a few sooth- moothers (in the friendly sense) that never want to move away.

Kavi posts one stance, and people surely can't deny that some people that move here find that it's really not for them. I find myself disagreeing with Kavi a lot of the time - but he is right on this, and as most everybody else posts the positives it's not a bad thing that the fact that life in Shetland can be tough is mentioned.

hhi all . i have had 17 years of tramping / living my wagon 5 to 6 days a week so not knowing anybody wont bother me . its getting that i don't know anybody here with the influx of immigrants . life has got to be better than living in a northern mill town where my life is going nowhere like i said i can turn my hand to anything i used to be a painter and decorator plus my mechanical skills and my truck driving i will get there i always do i can also do man and van removals there are all sorts i can do to make money . i can turn the tables here unless you have never lived or visited a northern mill town you will know why people have had enough the streets are dirty the shops are derelict there is doom and gloom everywhere you go on the local car boot there is about ten different languages spoken they are even selling on the car boot . my daughters school is catholic its now 50%immigrant . all the shops are immigrant all the building work going on is immigrant . now we have polish to contend with working for a pittance pushing English folk out of jobs because the will do it cheaper . so you know now why we all want out . moving to a place you have never been or visited happens a lot what about people moving to Australia ?. sean

can i put my house on here mods for exchange ? thanks sean

You'd have to put that in the classifieds section

http://www.shetlink.com/classifieds/index.php?category=Accommodation

my daughters school is catholic its now 50%immigrant . all the shops are immigrant all the building work going on is immigrant . now we have polish to contend with working for a pittance pushing English folk out of jobs because the will do it cheaper . so you know now why we all want out . moving to a place you have never been or visited happens a lot what about people moving to Australia ?. sean

Careful buddy, you will be viewed as an incomer to Shetland, taking a job and possibly a house from someone who has lived their whole lives on the isles. It's clearly not a nice feeling for you in England so spare a thought for the soul in Shetland who might not get a job because you do.

just remember that once you move up here you will be one of those immigrants stealing others jobs and housing. fact is you really cant live in a camper van apart from the summer. its just to hostile. please tell us you have been up here if not make the effort before you decide. we have been up her 6 years and its not been easy all the time. the wife missed her dads death because of the amount of time it takes to get back south, its not cheap living up here, it will be lonely being by yourself.

come and visit take a tour around the islands and see what there is to offer ignore the tourist stuff. make a list of what if's if they are more positive than negative then come but really think about it. if your a little englander then shetland wont be a fun place for you.

I don't think Kavi should be accused of being negative for being honest. Yes Shetland can be a great place to live but then it can be awful?

There's the difference, a balanced opinion. The problem I have with Kavi's posts about Shetland, both this thread and others is the constant negativity and lack of balance. I don't believe the majority of residents would agree with his opinion.

Shetland has always been a place that people who move here, either love or hate. Some will come to stay and others can't wait to get away from the place. But I do agree that people should spend some time on the islands to get an idea of life here before contemplating a permanent move.

The whole country is in recession and for him to suggest that Shetland should be avoided as things are likely to be better in rural Scotland is a bit misleading.

As they say, the grass is always greener. 'especially in Norway'

:wink:

just remember that once you move up here you will be one of those immigrants stealing others jobs and housing. fact is you really cant live in a camper van apart from the summer. its just to hostile. please tell us you have been up here if not make the effort before you decide. we have been up her 6 years and its not been easy all the time. the wife missed her dads death because of the amount of time it takes to get back south, its not cheap living up here, it will be lonely being by yourself.

come and visit take a tour around the islands and see what there is to offer ignore the tourist stuff. make a list of what if's if they are more positive than negative then come but really think about it. if your a little englander then shetland wont be a fun place for you.

i am british paul not a immigrant getting to a point where i wish i had not said anything , its a dog eat dog world we just have to give it your best shot you only have one chance . i feel a lot of hostility towards me/incomers why ? ok i have not been up there i may just come up soon to do a rekki , people move to all places in the world they have never been . ok its desolate i don't mind that i love my own company , thats what i want i have no family ie mam and dad only my kids 5 are grown up and one is still at school , you never know i may meet a nice lady friend lol thanks for all your input .

Thanks to those who have posted a little support for me. I don't mean to be (so) negative and will try to be a little more balanced while painting a fair picture.

Sean, I can understand your "excitement" at the thought of a better life but moving to Shetland isn't something that should be done in a rush.

I'm not denying that many have settled in Shetland over the years and now consider here their home but the official statistics show that as many people leave each year as arrive.

I can appreciate your happiness at being alone but coming to Shetland and living like a hermit/cutting yourself off from everybody isn't the Shetland way. Infact, from what I have seen a number of incomers over recent years have done this i.e they have locked themselves in their own little castle/world and don't want to integrate. This is not what Shetland is about, but likewise the Shetland way is not to come in all guns blazing either. My advice to incomers is to embrace the Shetland spirit of being reserved, quiet and thoughtful.

I personally know people who have moved here and they're as arrogant and loud as they day they arrived and it's obnoxious.

The peace and quiet is one of the best things about Shetland.

Although life here is changing it's not(yet) the rat race found elsewhere in the world.

As mentioned, take a trip here and have a look. Don't be surprised if it feels like -10 with a howling wind in June - because that's Shetland!.

Thanks to those who have posted a little support for me. I don't mean to be (so) negative and will try to be a little more balanced while painting a fair picture.

Sean, I can understand your "excitement" at the thought of a better life but moving to Shetland isn't something that should be done in a rush.

I'm not denying that many have settled in Shetland over the years and now consider here their home but the official statistics show that as many people leave each year as arrive.

I can appreciate your happiness at being alone but coming to Shetland and living like a hermit/cutting yourself off from everybody isn't the Shetland way. Infact, from what I have seen a number of incomers over recent years have done this i.e they have locked themselves in their own little castle/world and don't want to integrate. This is not what Shetland is about, but likewise the Shetland way is not to come in all guns blazing either. My advice to incomers is to embrace the Shetland spirit of being reserved, quiet and thoughtful.

I personally know people who have moved here and they're as arrogant and loud as they day they arrived and it's obnoxious.

The peace and quiet is one of the best things about Shetland.

Although life here is changing it's not(yet) the rat race found elsewhere in the world.

As mentioned, take a trip here and have a look. Don't be surprised if it feels like -10 with a howling wind in June - because that's Shetland!.

Great, balanced and informative post Kavi :D