Cruise ships/passengers

suuusssiiieee

Note the Rotterdam at anchor off the Knab this evening staying overnight until sailing tomorrow for Faroe at 5.

It was known that she was coming in around 5pm for a good few days yet not one bright spark thought it might be nice to open at least something for the passengers who took the bother to land in the town this evening, their only option is a walk around the Knab and wander through the cemetery!

When will this town ever learn...it's no wonder some cruise lines never bother to call here or stop altogether. :(

Note the Rotterdam at anchor off the Knab this evening staying overnight until sailing tomorrow for Faroe at 5.

It was known that she was coming in around 5pm for a good few days yet not one bright spark thought it might be nice to open at least something for the passengers who took the bother to land in the town this evening, their only option is a walk around the Knab and wander through the cemetery!

When will this town ever learn...it's no wonder some cruise lines never bother to call here or stop altogether. :(

So they've got a whole day to explore and shop today?

It's the same old story of the local shop owners in Lerwick complaining about the lack of trade and how Tesco is ruining them when they don't open when people are actually around...

^ IMHO, I think this is slightly different.

I doubt if many passengers would expect shops open in the evening; I've been to places (when on a cruise) where many shops were closed in an evening but returned the following day. No doubt the cruise ship had their usual nightly onboard entertainment and would be arranging trips and so forth for during the daytime. If the vessel had docked on a Sunday morning then that would be different - but it didn't.

Is going on a cruise all about buying trinkets or is it about discovering about the local culture? Yes, some places you visit it will be traditional to shop in the evenings but not everywhere.

^ IMHO, I think this is slightly different.

I doubt if many passengers would expect shops open in the evening; I've been to places (when on a cruise) where many shops were closed in an evening but returned the following day. No doubt the cruise ship had their usual nightly onboard entertainment and would be arranging trips and so forth for during the daytime. If the vessel had docked on a Sunday morning then that would be different - but it didn't.

Is going on a cruise all about buying trinkets or is it about discovering about the local culture? Yes, some places you visit it will be traditional to shop in the evenings but not everywhere.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

When the midday ferry got to Stromness the shop keepers would come and open a few shops. This was from about 8pm til 10pm. The shopkeepers in Lerwick may want to consider their options to take advantage of the visits.

If it were that certain shops were to open, it is not impossible (see quote below) to let the cruise ships know. They do have to talk to the Harbour Master, he/she could let them know.

Most of the tourists on those big ships are on full board and have a full entertainment programme provided every night. So what would be the point of the local shops opening. In my experience all the cruise ship passengers want is a cup of coffee, a postcard and use of the toilet.

I'm not expecting every shop to hurl their doors wide open but at least something could have opened up or at least something could have been laid on for those that did venture ashore. Shetland should sell itself at every possible opportunity, not when it feels like it, you have to think outside the box sometimes in this life.

The "can try" rather than the "can't be a*sed" attitude should be the order of the day.

As i have mentioned before the cruise industry works off positive feedback from passengers, if this island does not even try just once in a blue moon to be flexible Lerwick,and Shetland as a whole will be left behind make no mistake about it.

^ Do we know for definite that nothing was laid on? Did the cruise liner decide to provide launchers that evening or not? For all we know, unless someone says to the contrary, it could well be the case that they attended a local hotel and had a meal accompanied by traditional music perhaps?

Pretty simple really, go get yourself a premises, open a shop, work 6 days a week and every night there's a cruise ship in then they'll be no complaints! Was Harry's not open he usually does probably because he has a high no. of staff that could probably cover shifts at nights or on Sundays?

You lot complain there are nothing but charity shops and pubs on the street anyway so whats the problem, how many ways do you want it?