which atrocities to fight for?

...not really a religion, more a wackjob cult of venal cash and power hungry users, preying on the weak, vulnerable, sometimes unstable and even brainwashed amongst their followers).

Hmmm. That actually sounds to me like a pretty good description of religions generally. ;-)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...not really a religion, more a wackjob cult of venal cash and power hungry users, preying on the weak, vulnerable, sometimes unstable and even brainwashed amongst their followers).

Hmmm. That actually sounds to me like a pretty good description of religions generally. ;-)

Yup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Never did get a response re the allegations against the DL...

I also wonder just how many "working class Tibetans" you knew, personally, prior to October 1950, NM, that you can make such a definitive and authoritative statement?

Calm down - I don't check in here that often nowadays.

I get a little tired of this old canard that only those with personal experience of any given social or political situation are entitled to a view. On that basis none of us would be allowed to express an opinion on the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand and we all know how het up we get about the Black Hand Gang.

Who says my statements are definitive and authoritative? (although if you want to consider them as such go right ahead - I'll take my notes where I can get them) It's an opinion (you get a lot of these on the internets I've found) based on a bit of reading of the likes of Michael Parenti and a hearty suspicion of theocrats.

I think the deification of the DL needs counterpoint, we're tempted to be a little one dimensional in our view of history and tend to forget that just because one lot are on the losing side it doesn't mean they weren't a bunch of villains to begin with. There's a lot of glorification of the underdog in popular culture - and the moment something is a feature of popular culture, it's a good time to begin challenging it.

Don't be so touchy, mucker! Wasn't a dig, more of a nudge, really. :wink:

Y'see, I enjoy reasoned debate and informed and informative answers. How else do we learn and expand our views?

By providing me with such a response, you also provided at least one credible and verifiable source, who - complete with bibliography of his sources - has, thereby, expanded my view of the situation somewhat.

I'm not too sure about the whole "sins of the fathers" argument provided in his article, but Mr Parenti certainly makes a lot of valid points.

So, thank you for that. For me, it's one of the best things about the Interweb, being able to share and debate and discuss like rational beings. :D

• 2 months later...
How about standing up for the Palestinian people? or is that not cool considering they are mostly Muslim?

But that's NOT what you were really doing, was it? It's not as though you were making a plea for support for these, no doubt, beleaguered folk, is it? Or attempting to open up a rational debate, in order to attempt to change the possibly opposing stance you might meet from some people, through discussion, exchange of views or other more suitable means, is it?

Nope, instead, you chose to come on here and do what appears to be a special for you, and insult and denigrate Shetland folk, with a very poorly veiled insult that racism or religious persecution would be the norm here.

Didn't you?

The "Iknownothing" is clearly meant to say that you know nothing about what is in the minds of all your fellow Shetlanders, outside your door. Even although you clearly like to believe that you do, through your superiority to all of us. And that's what you and your alter ego/"friend" POPCORN have in common, in spades. This sense that you are better, smarter, wiser, cleverer than most, if not all, of your fellow men and women. Anyone with a basic knowledge of psychology can tell you that, as one other contributor has already pointed out to you, this says a whole lot more about you (both) than it does about any of us.

"Retard"? That's the last - or, in your case, first - resort of the playground mentality, throwing insults when you don't get your own way.

Your sort of conduct and behaviour is an insult to the same beleaguered people you claim to support and "represent". I mean, I bet Nelson Mandela won respect and freedom from his oppressors by similar behaviour, right? Or his supporters, worldwide?

You want to help the Palestinian people? Start doing something positive for maybe the first time in your life, and try to publicise their plight and change the minds of those who do disagree with their cause.

Oooor just sit up here, safe and cosy and warm, snug behind your keyboard, and use epithets and tantrums to boost and shore up your low self-esteem and infantile mindset.

Your choice.

You are a clown - you know nothing about my support for Palestinian people and know nothing about me.

I have no interest in "Opening a debate" nor have I called anyone a racist

'The "Iknownothing" is clearly meant to say that you know nothing about what is in the minds of all your fellow Shetlanders' haha me thinks your are rewriting history here. Do you think I was born yesterday?

"Anyone with a basic knowledge of psychology" this just gets better.

DONT tell me what to do about Palestinian people ! Like I said you know nothing about what I do, and make yourself look stupid pretending you do.