Would you support VE if.....

Ghostrider

Would you support VE if it was projected to only break even?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support VE if it was projected to only break even?

• My support for VE is unconditional, it is necessary to combat global warming.
    • I would support VE if it is expected to break even, but not if it was projected to make a loss.
    • I would support VE only if it is projected to make a profit.
    • I could never support VE in its current form in any circumstances.
    • I really couldn't give a toss about VE.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with us in Shetland that we get too pationate about things, wheather pro or agenst, the outspoken ones are either way for it and spout off the extream benifits which some of are realy unbalivable and pipe dreams, or they are extream negative and compleat slag off everything no matter what it is.

They never seems to be a middle ground. What this style of campaning does i think it switches off the silent majority of other folk. For example with the windmills i read all the letters in the paper,well i read every first paragraph and if it turns out to be a ve letter i never read the rest. Its the same folk arguing the toss about this or that and i'm so switched of now i couldna realy care now what happens. Which is a great shame.

I would have liked the option to agree with the wind farm but not as big, i dont mind filling the lang kems, but i'd stay out of Nesting and Aith areas.

The above can be said about the new cinema + everything else thats beeing packed into it. but with that compaine i think folk got realy personel and and sometimes nasty, realy slagged eachother off which i thought was very bad at the time.

Be pationate about something but keep it sivel.

The thing with us in Shetland that we get too pationate about things, wheather pro or agenst, the outspoken ones are either way for it and spout off the extream benifits which some of are realy unbalivable and pipe dreams, or they are extream negative and compleat slag off everything no matter what it is.

They never seems to be a middle ground. What this style of campaning does i think it switches off the silent majority of other folk. For example with the windmills i read all the letters in the paper,well i read every first paragraph and if it turns out to be a ve letter i never read the rest. Its the same folk arguing the toss about this or that and i'm so switched of now i couldna realy care now what happens. Which is a great shame.

I would have liked the option to agree with the wind farm but not as big, i dont mind filling the lang kems, but i'd stay out of Nesting and Aith areas.

The above can be said about the new cinema + everything else thats beeing packed into it. but with that compaine i think folk got realy personel and and sometimes nasty, realy slagged eachother off which i thought was very bad at the time.

Be pationate about something but keep it sivel.

I have to agree. The argument on this topic is boring.

The worst part is that some folk are arguing as though we have not yet arrived at decision day.

The arguement is no longer if 'we' want the wind farm or not, that descision has already been made at the highest level!

It is now down to do 'we' want to risk millions investing in it?!

This poll pretty much contradicts itself, why would anyone support a project and put money into in KNOWING it was going to make a loss?!?! At the moment, it is projected to made a large profit! Of course this is only a projection, but that's the info we must go on! But to ask if people would support loosing millions of pounds for no return....hhhmmmm.....,I wonder what the answer might be?!?!?!

^ "Want" has nothing to do with anything, the only decision that has been taken at the "highest level" is that "we" are allowed to proceed with VE *if* "we" so choose. Projects can and are revised, heavily amended, or outright cancelled at anytime, remember the new A.H.S. that was going to be built, and the contractor was already on site....

I don't see any contradiction, the first choice, which 16 (at time of writing) have voted for, are stating they would support VE at any cost. In other words, regardless of financial, enviornmental or human costs, they believe it should go ahead for the "greater good" to prevent the consequences of global warming, the "loss" being, presumably in their opinion, not a true loss, but acceptable collateral damage to achieve an overall global "profit".

I think therefore its fair to say that anyone who has opted for choice one, has answered your question, as quite possibly to bring to fruition and maintain it productivity throughout its lifespan thereafter VE could incur a financial loss of Millions, and they have stated they consider that an acceptable cost, not a loss.

It may be projected to make a large profit right now, but why "must" we go on that information? Information of any kind is only as good as its author(s), errors, mistakes and outright misleading "creative accounting" occur in all spheres (Enron anyone??), how do we know there isn't any in VE's calculations? Why should we trust their bumpf and blurb, it after all reads more like its designed to "sell" the project, rather than impartially inform interested parties.

^ "Want" has nothing to do with anything, the only decision that has been taken at the "highest level" is that "we" are allowed to proceed with VE *if* "we" so choose. Projects can and are revised, heavily amended, or outright cancelled at anytime, remember the new A.H.S. that was going to be built, and the contractor was already on site....

I don't see any contradiction, the first choice, which 16 (at time of writing) have voted for, are stating they would support VE at any cost. In other words, regardless of financial, enviornmental or human costs, they believe it should go ahead for the "greater good" to prevent the consequences of global warming, the "loss" being, presumably in their opinion, not a true loss, but acceptable collateral damage to achieve an overall global "profit".

I think therefore its fair to say that anyone who has opted for choice one, has answered your question, as quite possibly to bring to fruition and maintain it productivity throughout its lifespan thereafter VE could incur a financial loss of Millions, and they have stated they consider that an acceptable cost, not a loss.

It may be projected to make a large profit right now, but why "must" we go on that information? Information of any kind is only as good as its author(s), errors, mistakes and outright misleading "creative accounting" occur in all spheres (Enron anyone??), how do we know there isn't any in VE's calculations? Why should we trust their bumpf and blurb, it after all reads more like its designed to "sell" the project, rather than impartially inform interested parties.

F(*)eck Ghostie.....Doos hit the girls drink f(*)eck, nail on the girls drink feckin head. F(*)eck the feckers

Does anybody else remember seeing diggers recently at AHS?!?! Don't think I've seen Bob the Builder around that area in recent years!!

Yes, projects can be cancelled and so on, but wouldn't Shetland like a voice in such decisions, which they won't get unless we finicial invest in the project! It has already been put to us "join in or we will go on without you"! That is the really question at hand!!

If people are fine with the council or it's varies branches wasting more money, how about they build a giant statue of me?!?! Am thinking at least 100m high, done in mostly bronze with gold highlights.......am sure that would bring a smile to many, who cares about the money lost by it though, as long as it does some good?!?! :wink: Is that not why we are in the midst of a recession......spend now, think later!!

Until better or more 'realistic' valuations come to light, mustn't we gone on the information available to us?