Inter Island Ferries Petition

JustMe

If you want to speak to officials face to face about the proposals there are a series of roadshows on over the next few weeks. There are links to the proposals here

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/showcase/4254-sic.html

Symbister Hall - Thursday 14 June, 4pm to 8.30pm

Mid Yell Hall - Friday 15 June, 4pm to 8pm

Baltasound Hall - Monday 18 June, 3pm to 8pm

Bressay Hall - Tuesday 19 June, 4pm to 7pm

Walls Hall - Thursday 21 June, 2pm to 7pm

Fetlar Hall - Friday 22 June, 4.15pm to 7.15pm

Lerwick Town Hall - Saturday 23 June, 2.30pm to 5pm

Cunningsburgh Hall - Tuesday 26 June, 2pm to 7pm

Brae Hall - Wednesday 27 June, 2pm to 7pm

Scalloway Hall - Thursday 28 June, 2pm to 7pm

Tingwall Hall - Saturday 30 June, 2pm to 5pm

Papa Stour - Wednesday 4 July, 10.30am to 12.30pm

Specific dates for Skerries and Fair Isle are to be arranged.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, in this time and age we're in, cuts must be made. I'd rather see one ferry be taken off the Yell crossing than see another school closure.

The Children of Shetland are our future. As laughable as our council may be at times, I'd rather have them at the helm than an official representative of the Scottish/UK Govt. For they would show a lot less sympathy or remorse than any councillor from up here.

Beat me to it MuckleJoanie!

Attending the meetings will do infinitely more good than typing your name on a random facebook page thats for sure.

I think what many are forgetting (or don't realise) is that nobody *wants* to make any of these cuts, to ferries or otherwise. Whats needed is for people to read the proposals, attend these meetings, and provide real help by suggesting alternatives. Just saying "no" isn't an option unfortunately.

Do you think the same about the Northlink 243,000,000 subsidy?

£243 million?! How many years does that figure relate to? I can see why people living on the mainland might feel like moaning about it!

I'm a 'born and bred' Shetlander, but do accept that ultimately it is my lifestyle choice to live here in that a lot of people have to live where they can find work and make a living, so they may not have much choice in the matter.

I want the advantages of living in Shetland, so I accept that I have to put up with the disadvantages. So I think to some extent, those who choose to live in the isles have to put up with the disadvantages that come with living there, as they obviously want the advantages that come with it too.

Having said that, I haven't read the ferries consultation so not sure what is being proposed. I don't see a problem with carrying out a proper study/consultation on ferry usage and consider different ways/fare structures to see if the service can be run more efficiently. Surely it makes sense to run ferries at peak/popular times and cut down on runs during quiet times. I have often been on ferries during the day when there have just been a few cars. And I'd like to see a centralised booking system - the current system can be a joke.

But ultimately I'd like to see the Council looking to see if it can 'beg, borrow or steal' money to put fixed links to the isles. I'm sure that would help address depopulation (question - why have the populations decreased over the last 50 years or so when links to the mainland have never been better?) and encourage development in the isles. Norway is a good example of this, and how many people would be living in Trondra/Burra today without the bridges, I wonder?

Would you be happy if they reduced the ferry service to Aberdeen?

As you've brought it up, if the local economy can't sustain the current service, then yes, the service to Aberdeen should also be reduced. I really think they could do this now through the heart of winter.

I think it is fair to say that all SIC have indicated at this stage is the level of savings they require to make in the running of the ferry services. A number of potential ways, in varying combinations, have been put out for further comment/dialogue/community input, etc.

The certain thing is that this money will be cut, because the SIC simply doesn't have it anymore.

There are a number of nice to have things within the overall mix of ferry provision and there are things that could be done to trim costs in the short and medium term. The only thing however that will seriously change the long term cost implications is tunnels and we have to bite that bullet very quickly (big problem being cost of capital to build).

Some of the comment on here from islanders is understandably defensive but also anti mainland/Lerwick/SIC. In the current cuts climate there is a need to realise this is just one element of a wide ranging budget balancing process and i'm afraid the outlook is not good and we will face even tougher cuts if the SIC doesn't get started very soon with further trimming at all levels.

I would say that raising a petition at this stage, before any hard proposals are on the table, is a complete waste of time and it would be more productive to put well argued alternative cuts suggestions forward to see if better solutions can be found.

Just protesting is not going to cut it i'm afraid. Sorry JustMe et al but wake up to reality.

^^^ This sort of response makes my blood boil. The ferry service IS OUR ROAD.

When I leave the isle for any reason at all I have to clock watch. I have to plan my journey from beginning to end, making sure that I can get out and back in to the isle at a suitable time for me and so I am not having to wait too long at a ferry terminal if I miss a ferry etc etc. Oh the luxury of being able to jump in a car and go to Lerwick and be there and back and not even have to think about it.

Well, this type of pleading makes mine boil a bit as well.

I use the bus service to get about and, I to have to 'clock watch'. At least you (presently) have the luxury of being able to get in and out of the island at most reasonable times and then (presumably) drive to wherever it is that you want to go to. Some of us would love to have the 'luxury' of being able to go anywhere after 5pm without having to pay for a taxi.

The 'sacred cow' of the inter islands ferry service is a something that the rest of us can no longer afford and, within reasonable limits, it looks like cuts will have to be made.

Perhaps, an alternative might be to start charging the 'going rate' for journeys on your ferry service?

Just remember, it's not just the ferry service that's under threat.

I would say that raising a petition at this stage, before any hard proposals are on the table, is a complete waste of time and it would be more productive to put well argued alternative cuts suggestions forward to see if better solutions can be found.

Just protesting is not going to cut it i'm afraid. Sorry JustMe et al but wake up to reality.

There are clearly defined cuts proposed (linked above) , about which the council members will have to decide relatively soon.

The fact no mention of these are made is what makes the petition a waste of time, which is a damn shame.

Something worth noting is that one of the proposals is to contract out the whole service, that's what is worrying about petitions like these as they may force the council down that route, and I am damned sure no islander wants to deal with Serco Inter-Island Ferries...

if the local economy can't sustain the current service, then yes, the service to Aberdeen should also be reduced.

The local economy can't sustain it, that's why it needs a 243 million pound subsidy. If it wasn't subsidised, life in Shetland would be very different and the exact arguments that Allan Wishart makes to retain the current level of service between Lerwick and Aberdeen can be made for the SIC ferries to the isles.

^^ Exactly, it's odd how many people can't seem to see that.

The Ferries are very different to most other services currently under review in their direct impact on the economy of Shetland as a whole.

This, however, doesn't alter the fact the SIC, in current circumstances, can no longer afford the necessary subsidy.

The current "petition" on facebook is approaching 2000 members - now imagine if that were instead channeled into petitioning the Scottish Government for more money specifically to subsidise the ferries in the same way it does in many other places in Scotland?

(some councilors have already been fighting for similar I understand)

Shetland has a Central Belt problem. not the central belt of mainland Scotland, but the central belt of Shetland. All of the arguments aimed at reducing 'excessive' ferry costs in Shetland, can be applied to the Aberdeen/Lerwick route. Want to go there?

National Objectives in Providing Support to Ferry Services

“To focus government and public services on creating a more successful country, with opportunities for all of Scotland to flourish, through increasing sustainable economic growth.â€

Like it says: ALL of Scotland. ALL.

Shetland.http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/files/documents/water/ferries/Scottish_Ferries_Review_Consultation_Document.pdf

trowie246

Oh the luxury of being able to jump in a car and go to Lerwick and be there and back and not even have to think about it.

Substitute Lerwick with Aberdeen, Glasgow, or Edinburgh,

You said in your post that you could substitute Lerwick with Aberdeen, Glasgow or Edinburgh - then go on to say in another post that you couldn't give a toss if they reduced the service to Aberdeen. Well, my point is that I do give a toss if they reduce the ferry service to the isles.

I used to be able to jump in my car and go to Lerwick without thinking about it because I am not from the isles originally. Now I can't and obviously I live with that because I do not have any other option. I do not want to see a reduction in service. Simple as that. I sometimes use SHOUTY caps as you call it not to shout but for emphasis on certain words. Pardon me if you find that offensive.

Colin, I'm talking about people with cars. I sympathise with people who rely on buses but I have a car which I pay my road tax on, by the way.

I thought the petition was against cuts to the SIC ferries ie. a reduction in service and that is why I signed it. Yes, there are other suggestion of ways to make/save money and not all of them involve cuts but it is fairly obvious which ones are going to save the most money and therefore will be the most popular amongst some councillors.

The cost of the subsidy for the Northern Isles Ferry contract is going to be under pressure too. The cuts will be across all public sector finances.

The Northern Isles Ferry contract has substantially more income (as a % of costs) from commercial and passenger sources than any SIC ferry run.

The simple fact is the ferries need to run for less - i would start looking at crew wage levels as a good place to start, and in some cases put the service out wholly to private tender in the same way Foula is run. If people don't start to see the need for something more radical then in about 5 years time you may have even more savage solutions being imposed.

Comparison with the arguments about LK to Aberdeen are only partially valid. The SIC is needing to make much, much more than just ferry cuts if it is to balance the books.

Colin, I'm talking about people with cars. I sympathise with people who rely on buses but I have a car which I pay my road tax on, by the way.

Not looking for sympathy and paying your road tax does not entitle you to a ferry service. I can live with the non-existent evening bus service but, the real issue here is that we are ALL going to have to suffer cuts in services etc. Why should the rest of us have to take even bigger cuts in other areas in order to maintain the high level of ferry service to which you have obviously become accustomed?