Best Broadband provider?

Ally

Moving house next week and thought I'd take the opportunity to switch providers as my current supplier (Sky) is a bit pricey.

My connection is mostly rubbish (often less than 0.5Mb) at peak times. I'm aware that they all use BT infrastructure anyway, so the speed shouldn't change with the provider. However, when i was with plusnet at an address near by (same exchange i think) the speed was much faster, so now I'm not so sure...

Any recommendations?

I've just re-signed with BT, there is just no competition at the moment if you are looking for a truly unlimited connection, though you will get a better deal if you call, and are able to pay yearly rather than monthly.

Despite the plentiful complaints about BT, I have always found that the fact you only have one company to deal with helps immensely with problems. That is, they can't blame it on the infrastructure provider :)

(the inclusion of free wi-fi virtually everywhere via Bt FON and Openzone is another attraction)

NOT TalkTalk!

They've sorted out their longstanding reliability problems (touch wood), but are IMHO overpriced for their speed, having hiked their price 30+% in the last 18 mnt. Now costing approx £22/mnt for speed varying on an average day from around 2.0 - 3.2.

B.T. - I dunno, when things are working fine, they seem okay. But from the swearing down the phone I hear coming from the better half some days, it seems that once they accept there is a problem, they're okay, but its getting them convinced one does exist that takes time and work.

...B.T. - I dunno, when things are working fine, they seem okay. But from the swearing down the phone I hear coming from the better half some days, it seems that once they accept there is a problem, they're okay, but its getting them convinced one does exist that takes time and work.

Ahem, for the sake of clarity, moi does NOT swear down the phone at BT employees; moi usually calls them all the names under the sun after said phone has been 'put down'.

Ah, the OP's question: Even when you are with BT, they do blame other BT companies and will often say that they are treated no different than any other ISP. Dependent upon your individual requirements, I'd seriously look at a satellite provider, say Tooway.