The Shetland Times Editor

Kavi Ugl

I think they should have a limit on the readers letters length, they are to long and rambling and i am fed up of the same ones on the windfarm etc each week, that now I just skim over them. Selbie has the right idea with his letters.

Also the ammount of sport seems over the top and the sounding off bit is usually left wing clap trap with nothing to do with Shetland.

I'm with you on that one - i never read them either!

The usual 5- 8 pages of sport shows on how the facilitys here suport sport in shetland - its the proof its working!

Get ready for the 5 pages of arts news after Mareel opens, we are 'lucky' if they can scrape 1 or even 2 pages now.

I never read the sports pages, but im impressed so much goes on in such a small place.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should have a limit on the readers letters length, they are to long and rambling and i am fed up of the same ones on the windfarm etc each week, that now I just skim over them. Selbie has the right idea with his letters.

Also the ammount of sport seems over the top and the sounding off bit is usually left wing clap trap with nothing to do with Shetland.

Why is the sport section over the top? If you're not interested in sport don't read it, I am so it keeps me happy!! Different strokes for different folks at the end of the day!

The sports reports are almost the only bit of the paper that are not available online beforehand now - almost everything else is on the Shetland Times online or the Shetland News. Also as it is contributed it costs them nothing apart from the newsprint to produce. And if you consider that a hockey or football match has at least 22 players plus subs, officials etc that is a guaranteed audience for reading it.

Why is the sport section over the top? If you're not interested in sport don't read it, I am so it keeps me happy!! Different strokes for different folks at the end of the day!

I meant from the ammount of the paper that is sport it must be to the deprement of the rest. But I agree if you dont like somthing dont read it, I normally just skip it nowadays, except for the photos to see if there is anyone I know.

Funny how papers are always described as being rubbish by folk who don't like reportage that doesn't fit in exactly with their own personal view of the world and how it should be reported.......

:wink:

That would seem to describe perfectly the recent policy of the Shetland times when a readers letter doesnt fit with the editors view of the world and how it should be reported.!

Especially if the subject is climate change..

It's over the top because out of the paltry 38 pages you normally get each week 8-9 were sport which is a quarter of the entire newspaper!.

It's over the top because out of the paltry 38 pages you normally get each week 8-9 were sport which is a quarter of the entire newspaper!.

What would you fill it with though - they cant invent News out of nothing? We are in such a different place to even 10 years ago when the internet was still catching on. The "News" now is anything but - there's no surprises in the News section on a Friday.

I am very much against the parochial invasive reporting we get in Shetland, not just from the ST either. Every minor offender is named and shamed and it smacks more of salacious gossip than News, but it begs the same question - what would I have them replace it with, and I really dont have an answer. At least Sport is positive.

I am very much against the parochial invasive reporting we get in Shetland, not just from the ST either. Every minor offender is named and shamed and it smacks more of salacious gossip than News, but it begs the same question - what would I have them replace it with, and I really dont have an answer. At least Sport is positive.

There is a lot less reporting of court cases than there used to be. At one time everybody who appeared in court seemed to be named. 30 years ago people used to call the paper the "Shetland Crimes" because of the extensive court repoting. Nowadays if you look at the daily court lists it is only the more notable cases that get reported.

Kavi, u go find me a Shetland Times with 9 pages of sport in it please then I'll give you a decent reply!!! 8-9 pages, my ass! :shock:

A prime example of exageration and lies to try and settle a discussion....only hear on Shetlink!! :wink:

ps Dunna cum wee an end of year review or some crap lik dat idder!!

I allways thought the nameing and shaming was a good part of the punishment for being a criminal. May make a few think twice.

It also let people know who to watch out for, such as people who are allways theiving, so was usefull news for the community.

The Orcadian was allways better as it had all the criminals in a section together instead of scattered through the paper.

Kavi, u go find me a Shetland Times with 9 pages of sport in it please then I'll give you a decent reply!!! 8-9 pages, my ass! :shock:

A prime example of exageration and lies to try and settle a discussion....only hear on Shetlink!! :wink:

A quick glance through the back of last Friday's (29th June)Shetland Times shows pages 40-48 headlined 'Sport'. 9 pages inclusive.

Friday 22nd June - pages 35-44 inclusive. 10 pages of sport.

Your ass it is!

It's best to point out that last weeks Shetland Times Sport section, to which there was 9 pages of Sport, 2 of those pages were taken up by once a year events: Half Marathon and The Rugby Sevens!

Would I also be right in saying that the week before that would of consisted of a large amount of, again, a once a year event, Junior Inter County!

ALSO, doesn't 80% of sort take place in the summer months?!?! If you are that offended by the Sports Section, I suggest waiting till the winter to commence your Shetland Times reading!

Haha Seaflech fair enuff but I would expect on average over the whole year maybe a max of 6 pages sport...MAX!

Obviously this time of year sport pages will be at its max but during the winter months I'm sure some weeks you'll struggle to find possibly 3 or 4 pages. I'm sure it all evens itself out.

To blanket 52 weeks of the year with 8-9 pages of coverage of sport in the ST is just wrong. At least put it in perspective if you're gonna spout rubbish.

I think I may have got my ass back but al let someone else decide that.

Cheers