Night-time electricity supply

daveh

Does anyone know what times the night-time, cheaper electricity supply, comes on each day ?

We have a problem in that the electricity feeding only our night-time storage heaters and hot water, has recorded about two and a half times more electricity, per an actual meter reading, in this past year than in the previous 3 years which were approximately the same. We are going to have the meter checked, as this is plainly wrong and has led to a huge bill, but I was wondering what times the cheaper rate is supplied. The meter we have, recording this supply, is obviously faulty hence it will be checked.

Thanks

If you are on Total Heat, Total Control (where you have no control, ahem), the time it comes on varies during winter and summer. Even then, you can see a difference of up to half an hour.

Have you adjusted the temperature for heating the hot water? Did you previously have it turned off and then started to leave it on overnight? That can make a huge difference to the bill.

Granted, it might well be the meter - good luck getting it sorted.

^^

It is just the 2 of us here and we haven't done anything different in this past year than we did in the previous years. There is absolutely no reason why the units recorded this past year would have increased by about two and a half times over the previous 3 years. We are talking of at least £1200 overcharge at the moment so we are intending to see this through.

As my meter was showing the wrong time by around 4 hrs I got the hydro to fit a new one , when the engineer was in I asked what the off peak times were and he told me they were 0430 -0730 , 1330-1630 and 2030 -0000 , hope that helps (and hope it's right as that's what I've set my heating/water for!)

As far as I know, a number of different time settings are used to spread the load for the power station, rather than all Shetlands storage heaters coming on at one time. So your times may be different from those given above, and may be different from your neighbour. But 7 to 8 hours in total made up of three different periods is quite typical.

^ & ^^ Wow, one of those times seems way out! When I first moved to Shetland, I telephoned said lekky company and they told me the times it came on but pointed out it varied slightly with GMT or summer/winter. I was also advised that it was only the hot water and some of the heaters that were on the low tariff circuit.

The easiest way to suss the blighter's timings is to listen for your hot water heating up. Given the small size of the damn tank, it used to (and still does) crack me up that around 1.00am the off-peak light would come on and hey presto, you start to get hot water - ideal for those wanting a bath at 2.00am :wink:. Now and I know that in theory your tank should stay warm and if not you could (attempt to) use the (useless) booster, but it would kick into off-peak life again at about 6.30am. Perish the thought, you might want to wash dishes mid-morning so Total Heat, Total Control would off-peak again anywhere between 10.30am and noon for a couple of hours and then come on again anyway between 4.00pm and 5.00pm.

Re charges: Was paying something like £60 or £70 a month when first came here, then it increased to £106 for about a year and then dropped to £80 per month. By turning the hot water off at night saved a fortune, which appears totally crazy, given the whole idea of using 'cheap' (spits) electricity.

Wasn't there a price hike and VAT increase also though? Did you always phone in your meter readings?

Hot water comes on at different times to storage heaters. Phone the hydro, give them your address and they shall give you your times. Turn your storage heaters down to 2 for a couple of days, if they're still blasting out heat then your stats need changed, common problem!

Guest posiedon
shetlandpeat

When I fitted white meters, the heating and the hot water main tank were turned on when the lower tariff started.

Is there anything that you haven't done? I'd like to see your CV :D