Moving decimal points.

When I first came to Unst,a few years ago,my local shop charged me 6/9d for a gallon of premium (98 Ron) petrol. £0.35 per gallon.

Yesterday,the same shop charged me £5.03 for a gallon of unleaded (93 Ron).

I wish that my income had gone up by a similar percentage.

Yeah the pirce of fuel is about the only thing that would make me move to america 8O

Yeah, that OR..

The nice weather, incredibly good looking women (in the right places), cheaper food, cheaper transport and generally alot more to do.

The ONLY thing I would miss would be the football

Yeah the pirce of fuel is about the only thing that would make me move to america 8O

Yeah, that OR..

The nice weather, incredibly good looking women (in the right places), cheaper food, cheaper transport and generally alot more to do.

The ONLY thing I would miss would be the football

There are two sides to the America coin though. For instance, the price of fuel in America is really a complete disgrace if you have as much as a passing interest in the future of the planet. The cheaper food, transport etc. also has negative consequences - it is arguably the most unequal society in the world. While a poorly off family can afford to buy food and maybe even to own and run one - even two - cars, they struggle to afford basic human rights like healthcare and if you go off the rails then you will be afforded little, if any, social security.

There are so many wonderful things about America culturally, but socially the country went to the dogs a long, long time ago. Also, if you have lived in America all your life like we have in the UK, is there really THAT much more to do? Sure, I could go there for a year and have the time of my life seeing and doing everything but in the long-term...?

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be that modern posters on these forums have never had to buy fuel in gallons? When I reported that unleaded was more than £5 per gallon in Unst I expected some sort of reaction but got nothing. People down South complain when petrol prices near the £1 per Litre mark.

When I reported £5 per gallon that equated to 110.6pence per litre. Ten days later, the price is 111.6ppl for unleaded and 112.6ppl for diesel. If prices keep rising like this, a weekly trip to Lerwick for fuel will pay for itself.

What is the price at Bolts?

Isn't the cost of petrol and wages running approx parallel though? I seem to recall in 1972 paying 50p (10/-) for a gallon at the local shop, at the same time when we had a tradesman hired to do building work who charged 50p an hour for his time. I don't know what the minimum wage actually is at the moment off the top of my head, but I think I'd be right in saying it's around the £5.00 mark, same as a gallon is now.

Something that has risen disproportionately in cost in the same time though is a packet of 20 smokes, '72 they were around the 20 - 22 1/2p mark, now, something over a fiver too, the same as petrol and minimum wage, but gone up twice as much to get there in the same time.

Could it be that modern posters on these forums have never had to buy fuel in gallons? When I reported that unleaded was more than £5 per gallon in Unst I expected some sort of reaction but got nothing. People down South complain when petrol prices near the £1 per Litre mark.

When I reported £5 per gallon that equated to 110.6pence per litre. Ten days later, the price is 111.6ppl for unleaded and 112.6ppl for diesel. If prices keep rising like this, a weekly trip to Lerwick for fuel will pay for itself.

What is the price at Bolts?

You can't have been in Lerwick for a while :!: Bolts took their pumps away last year. Leasks (Blackhill) is reckoned to be the cheapest in town.