2 minutes silence! 7/7

As for the tabloids I think that to a UK citizen the death of a soldier is more important than some Iraqi. Sad buts thats just the way things are and have allways been.

:( Its a shame that you can't view life as equal.

Maybe it needs to be changed?

JA - No offence meant here, but you don't have to get that old to find that there really is no such thing as equality.

I remember having a conversation with my then young step-daughter who was telling me how much she hated the fact that there were so many inequalities in life and hw she would treat everyone as an equal. I asked her about the sort of boys she preferred, slim and dark haired was her preference. "So would you go out with a tubby ginger haired boy" I asked. Her answer was inevitably no.

Life is full of personal preferences, lack of understanding of others and levels of greed which require stamping on everyone else. That's just how it is. It is never going to change.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not with that attitude anyway.

the issue here is race, not prefrence of choice (though I undestand your point)

Is how an individual feels about other races not a matter of personal preference of choice? Or have we become so excessively PC that that personal opinion is no longer "permitted"?

I think that we go well beyond what is reasonable to accept people into the (UK) community. We bend every way to accommodate them. We allow them to build their churches on our soil. How many of these countries would allow us to build our churches on their soil. This sort of opinion would get me labelled a racist, but I am actually far from that. I don't care whether they come to the UK or not. What I deserve is for them to make some effort to integrate. Respect me and my countryman. Have their beliefs but don't force them on me.

I think that we go well beyond what is reasonable to accept people into the (UK) community. We bend every way to accommodate them. We allow them to build their churches on our soil. How many of these countries would allow us to build our churches on their soil. This sort of opinion would get me labelled a racist, but I am actually far from that. I don't care whether they come to the UK or not. What I deserve is for them to make some effort to integrate. Respect me and my countryman. Have their beliefs but don't force them on me.

IMHO there's a lot to be said for the old adage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

As a white non muslim UK citizen, the only people who have tried to force any beliefs on me in the course of my life (albeit somewhat half heartedly) are the christian church. Hardly inclines me to want Rome bombed though.

I agree with your opinion although it is one I feel guilty about. The whole issue is too big and complicated to form a solid opinion on.

I think that we go well beyond what is reasonable to accept people into the (UK) community. We bend every way to accommodate them. We allow them to build their churches on our soil. How many of these countries would allow us to build our churches on their soil.

For centuries the British have invaded foreign countries,raped and enslaved the residents,'liberated' all valuables,built churches and court houses at local expense,repealed all local laws to establish their own then,as a final indignity, forced the locals to learn English so that they could communicate.

Don't tell me that this was long ago. We are still doing it in Afghanistan and Iraq. Where next depends on what Dubya orders.

Talk about the enemy within!

How can you be so blatently racist?

Just because what they think what the people who blew themselves up (be it they were who they were) did a good thing doesn't make them the enemy. Maybe they think its justification to the horrors of the Iraq war.

Britian frets when a soldier dies, rightfully so they should be sad, but do we take into consideration the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi deaths? no because the tabloids are racist.

How are they not the enemy? If they think its right for some brainwashed idiot to blow himself up and kill people whats stopping them from doing the same act. Sorry but I would consider them an enemy and a threat to our security

Muslim is not a race, you can be white and a muslim. Its the ideoligy behind it which is the problem.

Its a shame that you can't view life as equal.

I know if I went out tommorrow on the street and asked folk if they would rather one Shetlander died or 100 iraqis they would pick the iraqis, mabey not right, but thats life. people allways look after there own. Lifes are not equal, even if they should be.

Muslim is not a race, you can be white and a muslim. Its the ideoligy behind it which is the problem.

I know if I went out tommorrow on the street and asked folk if they would rather one Shetlander died or 100 iraqis they would pick the iraqis, mabey not right, but thats life. people allways look after there own. Lifes are not equal, even if they should be.

Obviously not a Star Trek fan then :wink: :lol: C.F. The Voyage Home I think...

OK Islam is a religion and not a race but can I ask what you actually know about being a Muslim or of Islam in order to say it's the Ideology behind it? I don't know that much about Islam but I have looked a bit more at it before I've tarred everyone of the same religion with the same brush.

Sorry if I that wasn't the point of your post.

Looks like some of you are falling into the stereotyping nonsense and propaganda.

The 'enemy' are always inhumane monsters no matter what religion or creed you follow.

WW1 the germans ate babies

ww2 (maybe they did)

cold war - Russians are cold brutes with no feelings - sprootle

1980's and 1990 muslim have no regard for human life -turd*

American presidents are monkeys -might be true i suppose

We are aa Jock Tamsons bairns, good and bad everywhere you look, even here. However those in power manipulate us by feeding us "news" to support their ideals, and maybe to soften the blow of bombing the innocent.

I had the privelege of attending a rural mosque. For all the world it was like a peerie Shetland kirk, and the folk were so welcoming to a stranger.

In every religion there are nutters, yes some whom interpret their holy books to justify their inhumanity.

Obviously not a Star Trek fan then :wink: :lol: C.F. The Voyage Home I think...

OK Islam is a religion and not a race but can I ask what you actually know about being a Muslim or of Islam in order to say it's the Ideology behind it? I don't know that much about Islam but I have looked a bit more at it before I've tarred everyone of the same religion with the same brush.

Sorry if I that wasn't the point of your post.

I have read a lot of the Koran and have a copy, plus I know plenty about Muslims/Islam. I was not meaning all Muslims are the same, i was meaning that 13% (a large number as there are around 2 million Muslims in the UK) admit that they think it is justified what the suicide bombers did, this makes me wonder how many more also thouight this and did not admit it. Not alll think like this, its all how you interperate the Koran. But does not make you uneasy liveing in the UK with people who would have no quams about you being killed if you were an unbeliver?