Visiting Shetland

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop telling everybody about Bannamin and Kettlaness! Two of my own favourite places, otherwise it'll end up busy and the stunningly beautiful beach and coastline (within easy travelling distance of all points central) will be flooded with visitors.....

.... :oops: oops, cat, bag, out of.....

They do all the dressing up as vikings as part of the tour.

They have employed another highly skilled artisan to demonstrate the methods used to create some of the artifacts found, as well as the guided tour. As i was also informed at the weekend, it may not be an entirely 'viking' costume worn, but period dress of some sort.

I haven't been for a couple of years but it was a good wee tour then even. Apparently they have exposed another round house or something this year too.

Don't forget about the isles too lastpubrunner - the likes of Yell, Unst or Whalsay are all easier and cheaper to get to than a lot of folk think and are good for a visit if its a fine day. All three have good leisure centres/swimming pools which might suit the bairns and Yell and Unst have some of the best beaches in Shetland. Best to book the ferry if you're planning a trip but its easier to get across to Yell now with the new ferries and (I think) fares have been abolished for travel between Yell and Unst/Fetlar.

For the bairns, as well as agricultural shows there might be some country galas on when you are up - again, best to check the Shetland Times. They might also like the Burland Croft Trail in Trondra (if its still on the go).

I agree entirely with a lot of the points you raise in your initial post (see the 'Tourism in Shetland Today' thread). Although I think Shetland has a long way to go to give visitors a more authentic experience things are certainly better than they used to be.

Good to hear that you have enjoyed being in Shetland enough to want to go back though.

Many thanks for the replies - they have ALL been very interesting and useful.

I'll almost certainly visit Unst, Yell and Fetlar; I've never been before because I thought that it would be too difficult.

I've booked a fishing trip with Cycharters - the skipper was very helpful indeed !!! I'm still surprised that he appears to be the only person in Shetland offering fishing trips. Others may be taking trips, but they are very quiet about it. This leads me to my only 'complaint' about Shetlanders. They are too quiet and modest about what they have to offer !!!

Marketing, Marketing and more Marketing is what is needed.

Other places do it, so why not Shetland ???

So how could Shetland get more visitors ???

I'm very much into sport, especially running. I've been to the Isle of Man running festival which is held over three days - hundreds of runners travel to this event and stay in guest houses. This year they had entrants from Italy, Norway and New Zealand. This event has been going for 20 years, so it must be worthwhile. It must have a significant effect on the local economy. See :

http://www.gov.im/lib/news/tourism/20thanniversaryc.xml

Earlier this year, I did a race called the Man v Horse marathon in a small town called Llanwrtyd Wells in Mid-Wales. 316 people did this event, local guest houses being booked up months in advance. It is not a place which is particularly easy to reach.

Please take a look at this site :

http://www.green-events.co.uk/

The economy of the town has been greatly helped by the 'crazy' events that are on offer throughout the year. Yes, people from all over the UK (and other countries) travel to some 'insignificant' place in Mid Wales to take part in bog snorkelling. Crazy and/or stupid; it brings money to the local economy ! These events are the brainchild of Gordon Green and he runs it almost singlehandedly. Surely a group of Shetlanders could develop something along similar lines ?

Basically races and sporting events which are 'quirky', unusual and 'different', have enormous appeal to athletes of all abilities. I've done races which have involved carrying bales of hay and drinking pints of beer - virtually nothing is too 'daft'.

Runners (and triathletes in particular) will travel many miles to compete in events. Some of my friends this year alone, have done triathlons in America, Hawaii and Nice. Distance to an event is not usually an issue.

I notice that there is a race series in the Western Isles, so why not Shetland ? How about a cycling festival ? How about a triathlon organised in Unst - "Britain's most northerly Triathlon" ? Island hopping throughout the stages would be a unique feature ie, swimming in a loch on Unst, cycling on Unst and then catching a ferry to run on Yell.

Have I seen any triathlons organised in Shetland ???. . . . . . . Nope;

running events ???. . . . . . . Nope.

If other places can successfully organise these events, then surely something similar could be done in Shetland. Music and Walking festivals are great,but why stop there ?

Shetland is the most attractive place I've ever visited. It has all the basic ingredients in place; can't someone organise something ???

Many thanks Fifi for the information about the run at Dunrossness. Sadly, I'll be back in England by then. Annoyingly, I arranged to come to Shetland a week earlier than I usually do. However, if they organise it another year, I'll certainly do it - if I see the details well in advance that is !!!

Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

I'm very pleased to see that 120+ entrants are going to do the inaugural Dunrossness 10k event - most encouraging. Hopefully, it may become an annual event.

In England and Wales, it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold this sort of event, usually because the Police object on grounds of safety (excess traffic) . . . . . . . problems which aren't prevalent in Shetland.

If those organising the event advertise it in the main running magazines early enough in the year (Jan/Feb/Mar), I think that quite a few runners could be tempted to make the journey to Shetland. The race needs to be advertised so early, because many people arrange summer holidays in Jan/Feb/Mar and it isn't always easy to find accommodation in Shetland in July/August. And don't forget, early advertising means that runners will tend to enter the race earlier - this will help in the race planning.

It might be an idea to modify the name of the race to incorporate something more evocative of Shetland eg using such words as Viking(s)/ Land of Midnight Sun/Simmer Dim/Puffins etc, etc.. Include a few pictures of Up Helly Aa (Vikings/Longboats) and Puffins in the advertising and I'm sure that runners from England/Scotland/Wales would do it.

Runners like to do events that are 'different' - those organising this event should contact the main running magazines ASAP, because I believe that they'd have a very good chance of getting an article published about the race. If a good piece is written, accompanied by appropriate photos of the actual race and including details of when the race is to be held in 2007; then I'm sure that it would be published in at least one of the main running magazines. I've never seen any article on Shetland in any running magazine; I'm certain that they'd grab the opportunity to publish details of a race there. This could lead to an increased number of entrants in 2007.

Please realise that very few people in England/Scotland or Wales even know where Shetland is, let alone Dunrossness or Spiggie Loch.

You will find this very hard to believe, but I was talking to my Scottish neighbour recently about holidays. I said that we were going to Shetland. He said . . . . . . .

"They've finished building the bridge to it then ?"

As I say, most people don't even know where Shetland is - 'in a box on the corner of the map' is the best most can guess.

I can't do it myself, but I hope that many of you will feel inspired to have a go - get those running shoes on - have a go !!!

Many thanks for the advice on advertising and the interest that may be shown from folk on the mainland to participate. I will certainly pursue that as soon as we see how this one goes on the 6th. This event was organised to raise awareness of mental health in Shetland, and if we were to advertise the event nationally, then promoting the islands can only be a good thing.

Yes, i always find it a bit strange that still lots of folk dont know where Shetland is. Dont they look at the weather map on tv?