The difference in buses between the north and the south

George.

I have now lived here in Shetland for just over twelve and a bit years, starting down at the south end in Scatness, where my mother had lived very happily for about twenty-five years and winding up here in Hillswick, in Northmavine, approximately seventy miles north of my starting point.

Hillswick and Scatness are very different places. For a start, Scatness is very close to Sumburgh Airport so there are a much greater amount of buses going up and down to Lerwick which is a great benefit to the people living there. It’s not the same in Hillswick, where there is a bus down to Lerwick at 7.30am and 10.00am and one home at 5.10pm. There is also a shoppers bus, leaving Lerwick at 3.10 for Hillswick and the surrounding areas every second Tuesday and on a Sunday there is nothing, time to get a taxi – if you can. Very different to the south end where the buses operate seven days a week. I’m tempted to think that some of us here in Northmavine should benefit from the same service because we might need to get to the airport on a Sunday, or perhaps to Lerwick on our day off to go to the museum or the swimming pool for a little relaxation in the same way that the people in the south end can do, without any problem, seven days a week.

It does surprise me that nothing has been done about this. Why not? Why has no-one shouted and cried about the non-existent Sunday service, or the fact that there is no 10.00am service on a Wednesday?

Why is it impossible for us here in Northmavine to enjoy a couple of pints with our family and friends in Lerwick on a Friday or Saturday evening and then get a bus home?

We don’t get the same service that the south end get, do we. I don’t know why but it isn’t fair, is it???

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does surprise me that nothing has been done about this. Why not? Why has no-one shouted and cried about the non-existent Sunday service, or the fact that there is no 10.00am service on a Wednesday?

I'll say what I said to you last time you complained on Shetlink about the issue.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181502&highlight=#181502

Could you not have brought this up in that thread rather than start a new thread?.

At the very least complaining here about it is doing nothing so get on to Zettrans, you've been the most vocal about the issue I've seen so if anyone is going to shout and cry about it then I would imagine it should be you.

We don’t get the same service that the south end get, do we. I don’t know why ...

I think you do, because you've noted the reality concerning the fact that Hillswick does not host Shetland's main airport.

... but it isn’t fair, is it???

It is not a matter of Hillswick being discriminated against, rather it is a situation where the South Mainland residents are fortunate to be able to avail themselves of the extra runs necessary for servicing the major transport hub. Would you greet less about fairness if non-airport passengers were barred? That might perhaps seem fairer to you, but hardly a sensible option.

Surely the original poster would have known about the less frequent bus service before moving there; if not, then he should have researched it. There are loads of places in Shetland that one could have moved to where there is an even less frequent or non-existent service so I am not sure there is much point in raising the original post other than to point it out.

We moved to Shetland just 4 years ago and, although possessing a car, placed ourselves where we had access to town via a reasonable bus service. I would have thought, with respect to georgethe gent, that it was common sense to do so.

how about stopping complaining about the slester bus service and get a car, that way you can go to town whenever you please, when i was at college in town it was cheaper for me to run my car to town and back than it was to get the bus plus i could leave half an hour later and still get there at the same time

OP, IMHO you are being economical with the truth. Yes, the South End gets a more frequent bus service, but only, as has been pointed out, on account of the main airport, and then only for a select few who are fortunate enough to live at or near enough the main road for the service to be within reasonable walking distance. A lot of the Ness has no better of a service than you claim Hillswick has.

Yes, it would probably be nice for everyone to have access to a service level equal to that enjoyed by those within easy walking distance of the A970 Sumburgh/Lerwick, but can it be justified? Especially in these times of cuts etc, requesting additional services where fares are unlikely to cover costs would seem rather irresponsible and selfish would it not?

Sorry, but the OP comes across as you moved from the Ness to Hillswick, and just assumed service levels were comparable everywhere, without checking that they actually were, and are now calling foul after the fact.

OP, IMHO you are being economical with the truth. Yes, the South End gets a more frequent bus service, but only, as has been pointed out, on account of the main airport, and then only for a select few who are fortunate enough to live at or near enough the main road for the service to be within reasonable walking distance. A lot of the Ness has no better of a service than you claim Hillswick has.
Oh come on Ghostie!. The Sunday bus to and from the airport goes through Sandwick and Levenwick and it is not that far from places like Bigton or Spiggie to the main road.........at least not on a reasonable day.

Anyway Scalloway and Hamnavoe (Burra) also have a bus service on Sundays. If they can have a service then why not Hillswick or the North Isles?. I write as a victim who has had to spend another night on the Scottish mainland as I could not get a bus home from Lerwick on a Sunday.

Oh come on Ghostie!. The Sunday bus to and from the airport goes through Sandwick and Levenwick and it is not that far from places like Bigton or Spiggie to the main road.........at least not on a reasonable day.

With all due respect, JustMe, you try it on a crap day from, say, Quendale, Ireland, Maywick ...

Damn I had a long reply and I lost it somewhere. :x

To summarise, the south feeder bus service, 2 buses in and 2 buses out of lerwick, no sunday service or late service.

No access to doctors by bus except on main route.

No easy way for tourists to get around, surprisingly.

Some places no access to even the feeder service.

I assume the buses run to take passages to Lerwick every day for work, and that's about it. It does the job. Down I south I had buses every 10 minutes. You move here you make take the choice :)

With all due respect, JustMe, you try it on a crap day from, say, Quendale, Ireland, Maywick ...

with even more respect try it from skeld