House Builders

Stick

I am looking to move back to Shetland in the near future and building a house for my growing family.

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of a decent builder? We have land, the kit is coming from a firm south and we are about to submit for planning permission.

As I have lived away for a number of years I have lost touch with who may be reliable builders etc so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are more than two building firms but you asked for recommendations and therein may be the problem. Whilst a builder may do an absolutely superb job on one type of house, they equally might do a naff job on another type of house. You could always add into the equation that due to the weather conditions up here that many builders are booked up well into the following summer for projects already and therefore some folk won't recommend knowing that they are already busy and wouldn't be able to help you.

Thanks to all the folk who took the time to supply useful information and not poking holes in what I thought was asking was a simple question. i am sure the info supplied will be greatly helpful.

Thanks again for all the help.

Unlinkedstudent:

I was not really looking for recommendations just looking for a potential contractor to build my home but I did state in my original post "decent builder" mainly because I don't want a s**t builder. I am also fully aware that some builds may go smooth and others may have problems.

Also I did not state when I was planning on building.......

Can't say you have been particularly helpful, I will not be posting on Shetlink again for... Anything.

Thanks to all the folk who took the time to supply useful information and not poking holes in what I thought was asking was a simple question. i am sure the info supplied will be greatly helpful.

Thanks again for all the help.

Unlinkedstudent:

I was not really looking for recommendations just looking for a potential contractor to build my home but I did state in my original post "decent builder" mainly because I don't want a s**t builder. I am also fully aware that some builds may go smooth and others may have problems.

Also I did not state when I was planning on building.......

Can't say you have been particularly helpful, I will not be posting on Shetlink again for... Anything.

Bit of a weird thing to say! So, you didn't like my reply, that's fine ... but to say you won't post on Shetlink for anything despite the fact that many folk have given you recommendations for which you say you're grateful?

Don't get me wrong, the info and details given have been brilliant and I can't thank people enough. But all I was looking for was a little point in the right direction nothing nasty but when you get comments back basically nit picking which is something I have seen to be common on Shetlink (mainly by the same people) hence the reason I won't be asking anything again in the future. Also I did not like your reply it was about as helpful as getting kicked in the nuts.

But once again thanks to the people who took the time to get back to me, I will see about getting in touch with most if not all the details provided.

Stick

your offended by 1 reply. wow sensitive. you asked for info lots of folks gave you very good info now you say your rejecting shetlink. sorry if your sensitive maybe building your own house is not a good idea. its very stressful.

good luck on the move and build and don't take things so personally.

unluck do you have any personnel experience of shetland builders. really you should stop this negative chat its not helpful. nowt seems right or good enough for you at the moment.