Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

The other thread seems to have disappeared?

Anyway anyone else been having problems in the last week in the evenings? or is it just me? Web surfers may not have noticed anything, but ping is going from 70-500ms, and I do notice. :(

Router stats are normal. packet loss seems to be ok. Speed is half of my normal.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2071131527.png

On Sumburgh exchange.

No, it isn't just you.

FYI, next Northern Isles Digital Forum approaching and Brendon Dick (Director of BT Scotland) will apparently be attending, will be talking about what BT are doing to improve services and will answer questions.

Meeting is at 12.30 at the Isleburgh Community Centre on 2 August. Anyone want a lift up from the south end, drop us a pm.

I am suffering so many short service drop outs that I am seriously considering cancelling my phone and broadband contracts and revising my life so I just use public access computers when I am in town. Broadband I cannot trust is not worth paying for and the only reason I have the telephone is to get broadband. Would save £500 as year if I did not bother and of course I would have the part of my life that is spent at the computer free to do other things.

Around 5 drop outs that I noticed today. Always on Broadband ought to mean always on. Can anyone offer a better idea than cancelling my BT and Plusnet contracts and just going to the library for internet access?. BT and Plusnet cost me £500 a year and for that I expect something that actually works!.

Around 5 drop outs that I noticed today. Always on Broadband ought to mean always on. Can anyone offer a better idea than cancelling my BT and Plusnet contracts and just going to the library for internet access?. BT and Plusnet cost me £500 a year and for that I expect something that actually works!.

Remind us what you have done to get the fault fixed?

Intermittent fault so by the time I have reached for the phone the fault has vanished. Have tried various things including Plusnet Assist. I guess the only thing left is to try the "free" router from Plusnet.

Of course I have the same old problem in that the fault is almost certainly with BT and not my ISP which is why I am reluctant to do a Mr. Angry act with Plusnet every time I lose my connection.

Intermittent fault so by the time I have reached for the phone the fault has vanished. Have tried various things including Plusnet Assist. I guess the only thing left is to try the "free" router from Plusnet.

Of course I have the same old problem in that the fault is almost certainly with BT and not my ISP which is why I am reluctant to do a Mr. Angry act with Plusnet every time I lose my connection.

I am no great fan of Plusnet, but they are one of the better outfits at handling faults, although it can be a bit of a tedious process.

So, there being no so such thing as an ADSL 'drop out', tell us more of the problem. Does your modem lose synch with the exchange? Often denoted by a flashing LED on the router, others may be a change of colour.

My light marked "internet" on the router (Netgear) which is steady green when connected and flashing green when busy changes to red and I get no connection. Lasts from a few minutes to several hours. The Plusnet Assist software notices I have a problem but all it does is some checks before telling me to try turning the router off and on. This has been known to work but of course doing this takes time and during the short breaks the router goes back to green by itself. Does this make sense?.

My light marked "internet" on the router (Netgear) which is steady green when connected and flashing green when busy changes to red and I get no connection. Lasts from a few minutes to several hours. The Plusnet Assist software notices I have a problem but all it does is some checks before telling me to try turning the router off and on. This has been known to work but of course doing this takes time and during the short breaks the router goes back to green by itself. Does this make sense?.

Edit : Just had a thought. Is there a light marked DSL ?

Synch is being lost.

So next task is to try and pin down if the problem is something your responsible for or Plusnet is.

Although it is intermittant, if it is happening as often as you say, it should be reasonably easy to pin down.

So, the usual 101 questions ....

When you lose synch does the voice part of your still work normally with no snap crackle or pop noises ?

Yes there is a light marked dsl which stays green. I get a clear dial tone on the phone and the one time I have got as far as trying to ring Plusnet the ringing tone was fine.

Other bit I can add is that sometimes this happens when I am using the internet and things just die suddenly. Other times the internet light goes red when I am not doing anything........although I suppose something like my e-mail program could be checking.

And although I can have the problem several times in one day there are days when I either don't have the problem or don't notice it.

I have to say, I've been having a similar problem, though not as often or for as long. DSL light stays green, but the Internet light goes red and my connection is lost. It usually comes back on it's own after a few minutes and if it doesn't, then a router restart usually sorts it.

The last time I noticed this was a couple of days ago. I had torrent software running and the outage lasted about an hour and a half according to that, but that was an unusually long break for me.

Phone works fine, so I've just been assuming it was the usual jittery microwave link.

I'm with TalkTalk and in Lerwick

Oh, and it only happens during working hours, 9-5 ish.

Yes there is a light marked dsl which stays green. I get a clear dial tone on the phone and the one time I have got as far as trying to ring Plusnet the ringing tone was fine.

Other bit I can add is that sometimes this happens when I am using the internet and things just die suddenly. Other times the internet light goes red when I am not doing anything........although I suppose something like my e-mail program could be checking.

And although I can have the problem several times in one day there are days when I either don't have the problem or don't notice it.

OK. IMO 99% probability this is something at exchange or between exchange and ISP.

You probably need to persue this with Plusnet.

You will also probably need to humour the 1st line support and then try and get through to second line. The key information here is that you do not lose Synch, but you are losing PPP. From Plusnet end this will be in the logs.

So, perhaps wait until you have a bad day / run of it, then get on and ask them to look at logs and see if the times match yours.

There is a very small chance thsi is a bizarre router problem, so they might want you to try another before doing much.

I like Plusnet's support, tell them you have done their flow chart and it says you need to raise an 'intermittent fault'. :)

This assumes, your synch light is on, you can connect to the internet, that your connection drops intermittently, that you are plugged into the master BT socket via a single microfilter and everything else is disconnected (inc Sky box, etc), that you have tested with another couple of microfilters, and that unfortunately you don't have another router to test with.

On the PlusNet webby it shows you the tools they use to check your connection. Someone will ring you back. If you get no joy from there, the second line support people are directly accessible via a forum, given them your ticket number and they will sort it :D

I don't know if this will help but, I have a couple of customers in Lerwick who suffer similar problems. > Internet unavailable but, router checks out fine.

Solution I use is to log into the router, and use it's internal software to 'disconnect' and then 're-connect'. Seems to work.

One thing I have noticed with this method which may, or may not, be significant, is that the server IP address (when re-connected) is different from the original.

This would suggest some possibility of a fault/routing issues/tinkering at the ISP end of things.