Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Ran that exactly as per the instructions, Ian. The download speed was 0.55Mbps from a line profile of 5.5.

Be interesting to see what others are getting tonight.

Ms Esseff isn't too happy as she counts on a good internet connection to watch TV programmes in her own language. Best find something else to do tonight, I reckon. :D

BT thingy wouldn't work on mine either, Paulb. However, speed is slightly down on my usual - guess Mr Dick had enough of me at the meeting to mess mine up again lately! Weird thing though, seems to think server is in London and not Aberdeen like it usually does. :ponders:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2194388962.png

Suggest those with problems telephone their ISPs as the 'local spotter scheme' ain't up and running yet. Don't forget to whack in your claims for rental compo once fault cleared too.

BT thingy wouldn't work on mine either, Paulb. However, speed is slightly down on my usual - guess Mr Dick had enough of me at the meeting to mess mine up again lately! Weird thing though, seems to think server is in London and not Aberdeen like it usually does. :ponders:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2194388962.png

Suggest those with problems telephone their ISPs as the 'local spotter scheme' ain't up and running yet. Don't forget to whack in your claims for rental compo once fault cleared too.

Speedtest.net has no real idea where you are - just takes a stab at it IMO.

Most North of Scotland ADSL connect points are in Inverness, Edinburgh and Glasgow. But, the way BT ATM network operates, you could come out of their network at any one of 20 centres ariund the UK. Aberdeen not being a location of one of those 20, means any suggestion that is a 'local' connection point just shows how misleadimg speedtest.net is at times.

does that not only apply to business users like yourself.

If you mean rental compensation, no. You report a fault. If said fault goes more than 24hrs, you then file a complaint. About 20 days later (If you lucky), someone will phone you up. They usually knock off at least one month rental as opposed to each day it was down for. If your speed drops below that stated in the letter they sent you when you first signed up, you can get dosh quite easily off them. Usually though, even if above speed but they're aware of problems in the area and others have reported it, they'll cough up.

I've done it too blooming often, not only when business customer but previously when residential, both with BT and Talktalk.

Most North of Scotland ADSL connect points are in Inverness, Edinburgh and Glasgow. But, the way BT ATM network operates, you could come out of their network at any one of 20 centres ariund the UK. Aberdeen not being a location of one of those 20, means any suggestion that is a 'local' connection point just shows how misleadimg speedtest.net is at times.

Well, it still makes a change from it being somewhere in Scotland or the north of England! BT one still ain't loading - it hardly ever does.

I know phones were down in Fetlar earlier today so wonder if that's had a knock-on for rest of Shetland?

Well, it still makes a change from it being somewhere in Scotland or the north of England! BT one still ain't loading - it hardly ever does.

I know phones were down in Fetlar earlier today so wonder if that's had a knock-on for rest of Shetland?

Unfotunately the BT one is only one they usually will take notice of. It has been slow / difficult since day one - about 11 years ago. Each new version is just as bad as the previous.

South end of Shetland is 'Metropolitan' comapred with the links to Fetlar, and the small amout of traffic involved, so doubt their problem would have any effect elsewhere in Shetland.

Anyone else on the Walls exchange having problems? had to restart the router 3 times today. short drop outs (enough to stop radio streams) and longer ones (red flashing lights on router and zero connection) also crackle on telephone line... Don't want to have to argue with BT this morning I don't have the time or energy...