Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Anyone else on the Walls exchange having problems? had to restart the router 3 times today. short drop outs (enough to stop radio streams) and longer ones (red flashing lights on router and zero connection) also crackle on telephone line... Don't want to have to argue with BT this morning I don't have the time or energy...

A crackle on the line = death for ADSL

Do you get the crackle when using the test socket ?

If no, then you need to start looking at your own equipment and installation.

If yes, then report it as a voice fault to your telephone service provider.

have yet to figure out which is the test socket, have a feeling it's not in this building, and therefore unable to plug anything in to it as it's covered. all phone lines in the building are crackling, a phonecall is enough to need to reset the router, forgot to pick up filters today to see if that made a difference. but so frustrating. not my phoneline, the name on the contract isn't concerned, so I'll just have to wait till she's fuming and BT can have her screaming down the line at them.

have yet to figure out which is the test socket, have a feeling it's not in this building, and therefore unable to plug anything in to it as it's covered. all phone lines in the building are crackling, a phonecall is enough to need to reset the router, forgot to pick up filters today to see if that made a difference. but so frustrating. not my phoneline, the name on the contract isn't concerned, so I'll just have to wait till she's fuming and BT can have her screaming down the line at them.

Test socket is usually the first socket from where the BT line comes in the building. It will have a horizontal line where the faceplate is split in two.

Unscrew the the screws and gently pull the face plate off and behind you will fint another BT socket. As this the demarcation point between what is customers resposibility and that of BTOR, it is often a good place to start.

If you find the change of filters and equipment makes no diffrence, you had better make sure the Master socket is accesible or it may cost you ....

master socket is in other building. After phoning BT and them testing the line we have NO phone, we have perfect internet, but no phone.

Corded or cordless ?

I would still strongly suggest you need to test a known good phone in the test socket. If that shows no dial tone then the problem is outside your network.

Remember, if an OR engineer is called out he will first check the exchange, if no problem there he will come and use the test socket. If that checks out OK OR send your service provider a hefty bil and you will still have no telephone.

hairyian - Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it physically can't be done, the socket is boxed in. Not living where we can expect a constant power supply of course we have a corded phone. BT have claimed responsibility and we're on the list along with those being reconnected (after the lightening) on the 3rd.

My original post about this was to find out if anyone else was effected.

hairyian - Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it physically can't be done, the socket is boxed in. Not living where we can expect a constant power supply of course we have a corded phone. BT have claimed responsibility and we're on the list along with those being reconnected (after the lightening) on the 3rd.

My original post about this was to find out if anyone else was effected.

Better have plenty of tea and choccy biscuits on hand then.

hairyian - it took me a while to figure out you were just winding me up, I mean surely you'd have noticed what's happening with the lines out west? I know Tavish & Marvin have had een or twa complaints. obviously being 2miles from the exchange, no there will be no need to be in with chocolate busicuts to hand as the exchange is next to the shop. I have internet, therefore can take calls online. As stated before BT have claimed responsibility for the fault being on their end (not our internal lines).

hairyian - it took me a while to figure out you were just winding me up, I mean surely you'd have noticed what's happening with the lines out west? I know Tavish & Marvin have had een or twa complaints. obviously being 2miles from the exchange, no there will be no need to be in with chocolate busicuts to hand as the exchange is next to the shop. I have internet, therefore can take calls online. As stated before BT have claimed responsibility for the fault being on their end (not our internal lines).

There is winding up here.

You, or the account payer, has a responsibility to look after the master socket and make it available to the OR engineer. If the socket is no longer available to the engineer OR are within their rights to charge for moving, or making a new master socket available.

It could be that the work carried out between you and exchange brings the service back and he does not 'need' to access the socket. But, as part of the quality control there is usually a line pair quality test done to determine that the fault has been cleared and the line is working at the appropriate quality level. This can only be done from the test socket.

So, if as you say, the socket is 'not available as it has been boxed in', you could end up with charges for this. The actual repair of the line itself will be charge free.

• 4 weeks later...