Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Have just moved from Sky to the Post Office. Didn't expect much as I know it all sits on the same BT-owned infrastructure. However, after about a week of use I'd say the speed is way better. Odd, especially as Sky claim my account was in no way being 'throttled'...

Did you get a new router/modem? Could it not also be the route(s) that Sky/Post Office use?

Hope the better speed continues for you though.

I've been noticing over the last couple of months that there seems to be some severe network congestion/throttling going on between the hours of 6pm and midnight.

It's so bad sometimes that I can't even get Google to load without repeated attempts, nevermind youtube or iplayer.

I thought BT were supposed to be using this shiny new cable now. Is this the case?... or are they still dragging their heels with it?

I've been noticing over the last couple of months that there seems to be some severe network congestion/throttling going on between the hours of 6pm and midnight.

It's so bad sometimes that I can't even get Google to load without repeated attempts, nevermind youtube or iplayer.

I thought BT were supposed to be using this shiny new cable now. Is this the case?... or are they still dragging their heels with it?

I've been exactly the same for the last 2+ months, always after 8pm and at weekends. Also, I'm with PlusNet and the other day I paid the £5 extra per month to get a priority(?) line whatever, made no difference!!!

Called Plusnet today, another round of checks, but when I called an automated message told me that they were experiencing problem in my postal code area.

Ho hum - I thought I'd sidestepped all the recent speed issues, having happily breezed along at a mighty 1.5Mb... get home tonight to this

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2288679732.png

Quick call to Plusnet who say that there has been an "interim update", and there is noise showing on the upstream side (which should have no effect on the downstream?). They are doing an SNR reset (whatever that is) which could take 24 hours to show any change.

Oddly I've not noticed any high pings in recent months despite my pish-poor overall speed (due to distance from the exchange) so at least those issues have missed me.

Has anyone else tried the BT speedtester of late, or it's little brother the (beta) Tester Lite? Both give (me, at least) pointless data such as "0.06Mbps" Download speed just now. Thank {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'} it isn't accurate!