Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Phone hasn't made a peep.
Probably because the exchange has been flooded with Chuck's phlegm :shock:

Haven't had any unexpectedly low speeds lately (other than the dribble I usually get down the lines) and my ping hasn't been over 70ish for ages - yet I have noticed that after clicking links I can wait up to 30secs before the page actually responds. Just like dialup days... retro computing :(

Here in the republic of Brae, all your bandwidth is ours !

That's what you think! :wink:

Hate to break it to you, but for the last couple of nights mine has been around 6mb for say 10 minutes, then it drops down to around 5.0mb but then any time between midnight and 1.00am, it shoots straight back up to 6.5mb. Incredibly, even Ghostie's connection goes from 1.0mb to over 3.5mb around the same time.

Same exchange as unlinked and GR:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2306169138.png

Not had any problems for ages except when BT was fidding with a box in the street, and the SNR went up... back to normal now.

To Chuck Norris, this is the link for the 2nd line support. It's in some part filled with angry people who post angry comments and don't listen to what is being said. I've always found them very helpful :)

If you do a brief outline and then post any ticket numbers, they will look into it for you.

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Another thing, apologies if you have said already, have you tried another router?

One final final thing, and I know Hairyian will disagree... I have a BT accelerator face plate added to my master socket. I get seemingly one of the better connections. It's supposed to filter out interference from extensions. I don't have any. For £6.95 it's worth trying it. Read the blurb to make sure your socket is the right one. It need to have a line going across with a BT logo (not BT Openreach) in the corner. See

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html

I see reports of only being able to get it now with BT total broadband or something, so maybe try http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=8138 instead.

Install it (very easy) then leave it a couple of weeks and see... if it hasn't worked you've not lost much.

UPDATE:

BT Business Broadband have just telephoned and said:

It has been confirmed that there is a capacity issue and it is now being investigated and with the Planning Team as to how to increase capacity.

-----

Apparently they will call me again tomorrow once the Planning Team have had a chance to investigate. I asked if it was on the Service Status page of the BT website and as yet, it is not. I did, however, ask if they were aware it was affecting several areas of Shetland and the reply was "Yes" (whether or not that is because I told them or if BT Wholesale have confirmed this, I've no idea). They did, however, say it was the capacity issue that was causing the slow speeds.

Once I hear more, will let you know. Must admit, this is the first time anyone in BT have referred to their "Planning Team" when I've reported a fault! :shock:

Unlinked, thank you for all your efforts, as at least they are now accepting there is an issue.

What I find difficult to believe, is that with all the technology in today's world, they do not have systems to identify issues like these, prior to dozens of customers having to try and convince them there is a problem :shock:

Its the usual "there's nothing wrong" then after lot of complaints, oh surprise surprise, we have identified a problem syndrome that BT are becoming well known for.

Thanks again :D

I have had many problems with BT, culminating in them sending out an engineer, and their defiant stance that my line (I'm 3.5 miles from Lerwick) can only receive and handle 2MB/s, and would be upgraded in October to a line handling 4MB/s.

The engineer came in, looked around and told me their was nothing wrong with my line. He then performed a Speedtest (I'd been getting just 0.17MB/s, when I had called them), and it showed 5.2MB/s. I asked him how this was possible, given what BT Customer Service had said about the 2MB/s roof. He laughed and said this was utter rubbish, as the line to my house is the latest cable, capable of handling in excess of 20MB/s!!

Since then, I haven't really had much bother, been consistently around 4.5-5.5MB/s, which I would gladly take over what I had before.

But on my return home from a week away, just over a week ago, the speed has dropped again. I have tested it at various times through the day and never got above 1.1MB/s, and the average is 0.8MB/s.

Looks like I'll have to call and complain...again. And I HATE complaining. It makes me feel old and bitter, like Victor bleedin Meldrew!! Thanks BT. :x

I have had many problems with BT, culminating in them sending out an engineer, and their defiant stance that my line (I'm 3.5 miles from Lerwick) can only receive and handle 2MB/s, and would be upgraded in October to a line handling 4MB/s.

The engineer came in, looked around and told me their was nothing wrong with my line. He then performed a Speedtest (I'd been getting just 0.17MB/s, when I had called them), and it showed 5.2MB/s. I asked him how this was possible, given what BT Customer Service had said about the 2MB/s roof. He laughed and said this was utter rubbish, as the line to my house is the latest cable, capable of handling in excess of 20MB/s!!

Since then, I haven't really had much bother, been consistently around 4.5-5.5MB/s, which I would gladly take over what I had before.

But on my return home from a week away, just over a week ago, the speed has dropped again. I have tested it at various times through the day and never got above 1.1MB/s, and the average is 0.8MB/s.

Looks like I'll have to call and complain...again. And I HATE complaining. It makes me feel old and bitter, like Victor bleedin Meldrew!! Thanks BT. :x