Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

BT UPDATE:

BT Business have been advised by BT Wholesale that there is a problem with traffic to Sumburgh due to a back haul issue in Lerwick (or words along those lines). Apparently they are struggling re Sumburgh to find an alternative route.

Now HairyIan or another techno whizz (Where is Marvin these days?) may be able to confirm this: I suspect what that gibberish means is that the cable has gone down from Lerwick to this end of the island because I remember a while ago that I was told there are 2 cables from Lerwick to Sumburgh; in the past, they swapped my broadband 'route' from one to the other and my speed increased dramatically.

Will let you know when I hear more.

BT UPDATE:

BT Business have been advised by BT Wholesale that there is a problem with traffic to Sumburgh due to a back haul issue in Lerwick (or words along those lines). Apparently they are struggling re Sumburgh to find an alternative route.

Now HairyIan or another techno whizz (Where is Marvin these days?) may be able to confirm this: I suspect what that gibberish means is that the cable has gone down from Lerwick to this end of the island because I remember a while ago that I was told there are 2 cables from Lerwick to Sumburgh; in the past, they swapped my broadband 'route' from one to the other and my speed increased dramatically.

Will let you know when I hear more.

I'm still here.......

When they talk about 'routes' they could be meaning a myriad of things. It could be within Shetland or it could be anywhere in the the UK (on the way to Shetland).

My download speed's down at 0.03 tonight. Yes, I got the decimal point and the zeros in the right place, and yes, I was extremely patient posting this comment.

TalkTalk's "customer care" is going from abysmal to worse. Where's Esther Rantzen when you need her??

Years ago, when I was with TalkTalk and had problems I found the best way to get them to listen was to actually post on their forum pages. They have moderators on there who are 'higher up' members of Customer Services and they tend to get things done.

Might be worth having a look on their website and see if they still have that forum ... that is, of course, if you can manage to get the damn site to load with such a crap speed. Good luck.

I left TalkTalk due to their dismal performance and appalling customer 'support'(?).

It wasn't until I asked for my MAC that anyone took any serious notice but, by then I had had enough.

I do not want to support any business that treats it's customers as 'idiots' who can be strung along by outsourced support(?) and only attempts to solve problems once customers threaten to leave.

Now I get 6.5Mb + at 8am daily and better than 4.5Mb evenings.

:idea: :idea: :idea: UPDATE FROM BT :idea: :idea: :idea:

BT Business Broadband just telephoned. Latest from BT Wholesale is "We are testing new equipment in Lerwick. This testing is expected to be finished and completed by 14 December 2012".

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now does this mean the dire service we've been experiencing for the last few weeks is due to the new equipment for the old SHEFA2 super duper cable?

Or does it mean the existing system has finally fallen over?

Answers on a postcard please ... cos there's no guarantee we'll have a blooming internet connection at this rate to get a reply on here! :evil:

I have requested clarification. Will post more when I hear from them again.