Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Who knows?

You may recall that at the Northern Isles Digital Forum's last meeting, at which Brendon Dick was in attendance, that he stated that the link into SHEFA2 would be "lit up" and they anticipated completion by the New Year or hopefully during December 2012. Therefore, I'm wondering if they are testing that equipment.

Their latest 'excuse' being testing new equipment and hope to complete by 14/12/2012 doesn't, however, tie in with their excuse of last week, namely that something had fallen over/back haul problems in Lerwick!

Mucho gratitude for aa-thing, unlinkedstudent! :) Here's hoping desperately that a fix is forthcoming.

You mean my updates courtesy of BT Business Broadband or the suggestion that you use the Talktalk forums I mentioned earlier (or both)? Thanks though. :D

ours and a near neighbors internet was off from Thursday afternoon untill sunday morning both went off at the same time. spoke to the Indian call centre folks. first one claimed it was a line issue and the second blamed our house wiring. i am really sick of having to run through there script everytime. today i called to cancel the engineer that they had booked and even that was like walking through treacle. i am sick of bt.

BT UPDATE:

BT Wholesale are still saying 14 December. BT Business Higher Escalations Team can't get any more info out of them apart from a major exchange upgrade, so ...

... I telephoned Brendan Dick, Managing Director, BT Regions Director, BT Scotland ...

... stone me, I spoke to the man himself.

As far as he is aware, the work in Lerwick is to upgrade for the ethernet thingy and he didn't think it would have affected speed throughout Shetland but he is going to check and speak with BT Wholesale. I pointed out to him that as far as I was aware (And I admitted I wasn't a techie so could be totally wrong), not all Shetland traffic gets routed via Lerwick, and couldn't there be the possibility that there was an additional fault elsewhere causing such problems throughout Shetland?

Whether or not I'll get further info by the end of the day I don't know, but Brendan Dick has asked that everyone does advise their ISPs of the problems they are getting.

Hi Unlinked, I am at the other end of Shetland in Cullivoe. Speed seems to be normally just under 3mbs but I expected this when I moved here and am not complaining about that. What I did not expect is frequent drop outs of a few minutes---sometimes longer. These are irritating even when I am not on-line as I keep getting the plus net assist gadget offering to help and my computer complaining that it cannot connect.........things like e-mail and my Met Office Gadget frequently check for updates.

Would be nice if you could mention to the BT team that other people are fed up with the drop outs.........to the extent with me that on a bad day I wonder about moving south........like England.

we had that from thursday to tuesday on and off every minute or so. we were told it was our wiring as normal. then after another chat to my now good friends in india they had an engineer twiggle things in the lerwick exchange. strangley its now working. my wiring must be very bad to reach lerwick.

we had that from thursday to tuesday on and off every minute or so. we were told it was our wiring as normal. then after another chat to my now good friends in india they had an engineer twiggle things in the lerwick exchange. strangley its now working. my wiring must be very bad to reach lerwick.
That is why I am not with BT........good friends in Yorkshire are easier to understand......just.

The salesman at BT tells me that TalkTalk put 250 people on each line, compare with BT's 50 to a line. For other non-techies like me, this is called the "contention ratio".

However, TalkTalk "support" team lady tells me categorically that the BT salesman is stating complete and utter rot, and that all ISP's have exactly the same contention ratio, of 50:1.

Who do I believe?

TalkTalk also tell me that the consistently excellent speeds we're getting through the day (about 5Mbps), and consistently appalling speeds at night (about 0.05) is definitely a "backhaul" issue. And that they can do absolutely nothing about it. They apparently can't even nag BT about it??

They suggested the only person in a position to ask BT to improve things is OFCOM! But....

TalkTalk girl also says the "21st century network", fibre connection, is due about the end of January. She says because putting this in place, is BT acting to sort the problem, we'll just have to wait patiently until then for an improvement. Basically, they're ignoring pleepsy-weepsers like me at the moment, because there's a decent fix on the way next year.

In the meantime, our evening speed is well below the 0.6 Mbps defined by BT as the minimum "acceptable" rate for this line. Wail, moan, gnashing of teeth. Any suggestions?