Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

If it was the microwave link then everybody would have lousy speeds.

Wrong IMHO. When it was the microlink in the past my speeds would be high some of the time and low at other times (dependent upon how 'loose' the thingymajig at Orkney was and which direction it was pointing). Anyway, apart from those on Shetland Telecom/Broadband, it looks as if everyone posting on here is experiencing a significant drop in speed, are they not?

Hmmm, if I'm 'wrong' then I must be taking a different route off Shetland to the rest of you... :D

The microwave link carries a number of separate circuits. This is probably why some customers are having problems and other are fine. Problems (even atmospheric) does not seem to deteriorate the quality of each circuit (or route) to the same extent. BT will be monitoring the circuits and load balancing across them depending on bandwidth demand.

It is evident that there is a widespread problem at the moment. It is possible that the microwave link is the problem but it could be anywhere in the BT network. The eternal optimist in me hopes that it could be part of the testing process for when they start using the fibre.

everyone posting on here is experiencing a significant drop in speed, are they not?

It seems pretty random. I'll check with Ian in the morning. He has a number of lines across a number of exchanges so he has a fairly good handle on which exchanges are having problems.

My home connection (Bixter) was fine until tonight. Some other exchange areas seem to have 'normal' service, others having problems.

I closed the ticket as this morning I had 6mb and a great ping. This is what I normally have even when others are bad. Normally I can synch to exchange with SNR 4 or 5. I love my connection.

I think lerwick has its own problems, I would not like to live there!

This evening my ping is jumpy again and the download speed is around 2mb. Not as bad as last night, but not what I normally get. I'll add it to the ticket if I'm able.

Will the fibre-optic cable fix all these connection problems, or are they still likely to happen from time to time?

Difficult to know. It depends on what traffic BT puts on the fibre and how they route it. I have a call with them either later today or tomorrow so I will ask.

In theory, it should remove all the problems relating to the microwave link. How much of the problem is the microwave link is unknown (other than the atmospheric and capacity problems). If they just route the ADSL traffic on to the fibre and then back in to their current network in Banff, the same old Edinburgh, Inverness etc problems could still happen.

Just been contacted by Plusnet again, just sent them results from a non-java BT Wholesale speedtester. They are supposed to get the results directly (although they didn't).

Anyway speed is fine now. I told them I will do it again tonight; and I told them *again* that there is no point sending an engineer to me, as loads of people have problems, and my connection is good. I don't want to be charged when they find nothing wrong!

He also said that dips in speed can be expected but that halving the speed in the evening is not normal. Really? :roll:

I believe he sending it back to the 'speed' people, with the recommendation they lean on BT further up.