Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

The last week, since they've been messing about connecting the cable in Lerwick seems to have sunk mine in the evening. It's great now (11.30pm), earlier in the evening it was like unlinked's. 1-2Mb (instead of 6) and ping jumping from 60-500ms.

To be fair to plusnet, I don't keep getting 'restart you router crap' from them, I'm just waiting for them to reply re my phone line being fine. Somehow I don't think it's what they're doing. I will go to higher customer reps on the forums soon though, they have always been great.

Pretty much as before - no sign of any improvement as promised... :(

Customers (in Lerwick) will me migrated on to the new services over a period of three months. I would imagine that BT Business customers will be the priority. Try phoning them and say that you read the press release yesterday and want to be moved over as soon as possible. It might speed up your migration.

I think some of you on the longer lines will find out it will make next to sod all difference following the migration whenever it happens and you will more than likely have to ask for the service. Rememember you are still on that same copper connection to your house, the new fibre plays no part in it. The change you can expect for those of you in Lerwick on a short line is well illustrated here on this chart. :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/adsl2.jpg

http://freeola.com/adsl2-21cn-rollout/

Pretty much as before - no sign of any improvement as promised... :(

Customers (in Lerwick) will me migrated on to the new services over a period of three months. I would imagine that BT Business customers will be the priority. Try phoning them and say that you read the press release yesterday and want to be moved over as soon as possible. It might speed up your migration.

Thank you, Marvin - I will do as you suggest. :)

Whatever happened to the technology that was going to improve adsl over longer lines?

ADSL2+ does. Look at the graph, it has increased the distance you can be and still get a connection. If it was borderline before, it should connect now.

However I believe it's fibre that takes no account of distance. You're always going to be limited on copper.

I think some of you on the longer lines will find out it will make next to sod all difference following the migration whenever it happens and you will more than likely have to ask for the service. Rememember you are still on that same copper connection to your house, the new fibre plays no part in it.

Absolutely right. If you get less than 4Mbps now then the chances of getting a much better speed using ADSL2+ is limited. Unless of course, the speed you are getting now is due to some other factor.

Whatever happened to the technology that was going to improve adsl over longer lines?

BET? http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/1mb-on-a-12km-line-bt-says-you-can-bet-on-it-882.html

3 years on, and... :?: Presumably dropped due to funding of newer technologies for the easier-to-upgrade areas. Those on the fringes get left behind until a major overhaul of the infrastructure is necessary. Bah!

I remember there were plans to cut prices for those who weren't able to get the new services, but that seems to have been quietly shelved. Again, bah!

Just out of curiosity, is the 2+ service planned to be extended to other exchanges, and does it provide a leap in upload speed, which hasn't changed (for home users at least) for some years?

^ I heard following an unprecedented number of complaints from customers on Sumburgh exchange that they were going to be next in line. :wink:

It would seem that you can squeeze a bit more out of your upload speed but possibly to the detriment of the download :-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4086113-upload-speed-on-adsl2.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Just out of curiosity, is the 2+ service planned to be extended to other exchanges?

Once the BDUK/HIE project is finally decided on it will include a number of upgrades across Shetland. More news on that should be out in January. It won't be ADSL2+ though. ADSL2+ is essentially just slightly better ADSL. For BDUK funding it needs to be Next Gen broadband technology. Unfortunately that technology is even more dependent on how close you are to the exchange/cabinet.

Well, my ping is still going through the roof and my download speed is still shocking after 8pm at night.

I've just got off the phone with a guy at Plusnet and requested to be shifted over to this ADSL2, as mentioned above.

He said that was no problem and that I would receive an email stating the date when I would be moved. He said that if people don't request to move then they will be shifted over in bulk lots, which could take 2-3 months. There is also NO £11 charge, BT do not charge them for the shift so Plusnet do not charge their customers.

Hopefully this will cure my problems of the last 4 months! I will not hold my breath though.

:lol: