Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2383273668.png I got a text from plusnet saying .. thankyou for your patience, following the engineer visit (who was brilliant and if you read this thanks again) We have tested your line and can see that a modify to 21CN has taken place (+2) .......really i was getting over 5mbps earlier what happened i thought it was ment to sort the drop issue :roll: still iv'e had :lol: worse

I have just come off the phone to BT Business where I was dealt with by a thoroughly abrupt and arrogant young man.

He informed me that BT didn't show any fibre connection yet to the Lerwick exchange and there was no way the information we had was correct.

I advised him (after I had to tell him to please listen to what I said) that the upgrade to the exchange was certainly accurate, and that BT customers had learned that they would be first to benefit.

He was dismissive, rude and accusing me of having completely wrong facts. I said, 'OK, thank you for the information - I will wait and see what happens.' He simply hung up the phone on me!

So - no further forwards - NOT impressed!

UPDATE (20 minutes after first post)

Not wanting to have a sour BT taste in my mouth - I called BT Business again and this time was dealt with by a very polite bloke who took the time to explain that even though the exchange might well be upgraded and connected to fibre, BT had not put the information in their system, so it didn't show when he looked at his end.

He suggested an approach to BT OpenReach might give me a timetable, but either way an engineer visit would be required as it was entirely likely that a 'tweak' had to be done at my end of my copper cable to make the most of the new connection when it was being out in place.

Still no further forwards, but at least I can now eat my lunch without sourness tainting my palate!

Since BT started using the fibre optic link I have not had any of the irritating mini cuts to my internet connection that have been making me seriously consider stopping using broadband........library twice a week as an alternative.......or even moving to somewhere where reliable broadband exists.

Now this may be a coincidence but I certainly hope not as I do not mind the low speed I get. Just want to be connected reliably.

He informed me that BT didn't show any fibre connection yet to the Lerwick exchange and there was no way the information we had was correct.

I could be wrong here, but isn't he correct?

I mean, the potholed 'A road' over the microwave has now been replaced with a fibre 'motorway' to the mainland (and is linked to Shetland Broadband fibre), but the upgrade to the Lerwick exchange is to ADSL2+, not fibre. So they would be able to offer a fibre connection to you.

Or I could be very wrong and look very silly :oops:

its an N one so as far as i understand it should be :oops:

I thought the 'N' referred to a wireless standard, following on from A, B, and G.

If you got your router in the last couple of years it should be OK, check your website manufacturer. Maybe a firmware update would fix it - not sure on that. If you got it from your ISP, they should have be able to tell you.

Hmm mine is 2008...

I mean, the potholed 'A road' over the microwave has now been replaced with a fibre 'motorway' to the mainland (and is linked to Shetland Broadband fibre), but the upgrade to the Lerwick exchange is to ADSL2+, not fibre. So they would be able to offer a fibre connection to you.

When I called Plusnet yesterday(see above) I asked about BT upgrading in my area to ADSL2 and fibre optic, he said that he could see(?) there was ADSL2 but there was no fibre optic coming up on his search. I didn't question this as I have no idea about tall this technical stuff. Still had no email from Plusnet regarding me be switched over to ADSL2 :cry:

Hi D.K its a 2009 netgear dgn2000 i think :oops: oniewie i found out whether its of intrest or not.. fibre optic will not really give us a faster ping as all electromagnetic and light waves E.G microwave, radiowaves, travel at or around the speed of light... you learn something new every day 8) (god i hope this is right or shet-peat's gona bust my ass :lol: )

I mean, the potholed 'A road' over the microwave has now been replaced with a fibre 'motorway' to the mainland (and is linked to Shetland Telecom fibre), but the upgrade to the Lerwick exchange is to ADSL2+, not fibre. So they wouldn't be able to offer a fibre connection to you.

When I called Plusnet yesterday(see above) I asked about BT upgrading in my area to ADSL2 and fibre optic, he said that he could see(?) there was ADSL2 but there was no fibre optic coming up on his search. I didn't question this as I have no idea about tall this technical stuff. Still had no email from Plusnet regarding me be switched over to ADSL2 :cry:

Sorry I had a typo in there - corrected in red.

Plusnet ADSL2+ FAQ http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/adsl2+_faq.shtml

Hi D.K its a 2009 netgear dgn2000 i think :oops: oniewie i found out whether its of intrest or not.. fibre optic will not really give us a faster ping as all electromagnetic and light waves E.G microwave, radiowaves, travel at or around the speed of light... you learn something new every day 8) (god i hope this is right or shet-peat's gona bust my ass :lol: )

If you got your router from your ISP they might upgrade it if you change to their ADSL2+ package, Plusnet seems to.

Marvin is the best one to talk about ping times not me. It is all the speed of light but the number 'hops' you make the higher the ping. I'm hoping that plugging the fibre in might eliminate a few hops and save us a few ms.

Finally after about a dozen messages to TalkTalk they've decided there's a problem :

"the line test reveals that your line speed is dropping below the minimum threshold. We should log this to BT for further investigation."

But they have not acknowledge the fact that we should be able to get better speeds on ADSL2+!