Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

Switching from one broadband service provider to the other is not going to make the slightest difference,  Bt, PlusNet, Virgin, Talktalk and all the rest cannot provide a faster broadband speed for you as it is not the provider but the broadband cable which is the problem.  The only way to work around this is to get satellite broadband and you will get a consistent speed of 20mb per second 

Often depends on where you live to your broadband speeds, obviously Lerwick is going to be ok but as you hit Gulberwick and Quarff the Broadband speed gets slower and is at dial up pace wether your with Bt or Talktalk isn't going to make any odds in such areas and satellite broadband is the only option then

BT do not manipulate other companies line speeds and the fact that your parents live 'close by' may have very little bearing.  They may be closer to the exchange than you (in terms of line length) but, the difference in speeds you quoted would suggest that TalkTalk are throttling your service or you may be suffering from some serious contention issues.

From experience, there is no point whatsoever in contacting TalkTalk support (unless you are desperate to waste a lot of your time). Best advice I can give is to look around for a decent ISP, get your MAC code and, jump ship.

I am actually closer to exchange than they are.  I have tried different routers, renewed all micro filters and had house wiring checked by an engineer - all Ok.  Shouldn't need a MAC code as I have phone package as well, so would be transferring everything to new supplier.

It seems to be impossible to speak to any TalkTalk manager in UK and from what I've read on here BT doesn't seem to be much better.  Just getting fed up paying for a service that I am not receiving!!

Checking the internet there's not a huge difference in prices for broadband/landline with unlimited call package, that's why I was asking for folks experience with other providers.

I am actually closer to exchange than they are.  I have tried different routers, renewed all micro filters and had house wiring checked by an engineer - all Ok.  Shouldn't need a MAC code as I have phone package as well, so would be transferring everything to new supplier.

It seems to be impossible to speak to any TalkTalk manager in UK and from what I've read on here BT doesn't seem to be much better.  Just getting fed up paying for a service that I am not receiving!!

Checking the internet there's not a huge difference in prices for broadband/landline with unlimited call package, that's why I was asking for folks experience with other providers.

From personal experience;

Speaking to UK based support is easy, just demand your MAC... :razz:   They will then fall all over themselves to contact you..

A couple of pounds difference in price is all that seperates most providers.  Not really an issue unless you are on a very tight budget.

What is most important is to set your stall out first. 

Do your homework

Use the BT Speedtester (run several tests) to establish the maximum that your line can achieve.

Contact prospective ISP's and tell them exactly what you expect making it clear that getting (and keeping) your business depends on them providing (and maintaining) the service at that standard.

FWIW;

I checked out several providers before I chose PlusNet.

The decision to switch everything (phone, broadband, Line etc.) to them was, largely, swung on the fact that they identified the problem almost immediately, have UK based call centres staffed by people who appear to be both 'tech savvy' and, use English as their first language.

Honestly, apart from the rare moments when performance dips (as it does for everyone) I can always connect at 6.7 - 6.9Mbs

Edited by Colin

I am with plusnet and my broadband has been slow but the main problem is the broadband works for a few minutes then stops for a while, I don't have too reset anything too get it working again, it just starts working by its self.

I am fairly confident there is nothing wrong with any off my wiring and equipment, has anyone been experiencing the same problems?

I am with plusnet and my broadband has been slow but the main problem is the broadband works for a few minutes then stops for a while, I don't have too reset anything too get it working again, it just starts working by its self.

I am fairly confident there is nothing wrong with any off my wiring and equipment, has anyone been experiencing the same problems?

Exactly the same.  Not all the time.  Can go for days without a problem but equally can have days when I have half a dozen (or more) drop outs in a hour.  Fairly confident that the problem is with BT rather than Plusnet even though I pay Plusnet for my internet.  One day I will get irritated enough not to try calling support (been hard to get through lately) but to call sales demanding a mac code.  At least BT would give me 6 months free internet.

Exactly the same.  Not all the time.  Can go for days without a problem but equally can have days when I have half a dozen (or more) drop outs in a hour.  Fairly confident that the problem is with BT rather than Plusnet even though I pay Plusnet for my internet.  One day I will get irritated enough not to try calling support (been hard to get through lately) but to call sales demanding a mac code.  At least BT would give me 6 months free internet.

Use http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker to identify what types of connections you can get. In Shetland we are limited by BT as no other ISP wants to spend the money putting there own equipment in the exchanges to unbundle them and allow for better speeds. So almost all ISP's are piggybacking on BT's equipment, if you are having a fault it is down to BT and when you try and resolve it you are stuck speaking to your ISP acting as a middleman.

Lerwick has 1 LLU operator that has unbundled the exchange, which is TALKTALK and I can confirm that I get speeds of 13Mbs or 15Mbs if I tweak my SNR values.

Edited by facey

Use http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker to identify what types of connections you can get. In Shetland we are limited by BT as no other ISP wants to spend the money putting there own equipment in the exchanges to unbundle them and allow for better speeds. So almost all ISP's are piggybacking on BT's equipment, if you are having a fault it is down to BT and when you try and resolve it you are stuck speaking to your ISP acting as a middleman.

Lerwick has 1 LLU operator that has unbundled the exchange, which is TALKTALK and I can confirm that I get speeds of 13Mbs or 15Mbs if I tweak my SNR values.

I am with TalkTalk and the download speeds are pathetic, so I am interested to know how you tweak SNR values to see if it makes any difference.  Customer support is non-existant