Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

I was with TalkTalk for several years until their Broadband speed became useless.  I was constantly getting well below 1.0Mb usually 0.36Mbps download and after a year of getting nowhere with their so called customer support, I finally switched provider.

I am now with BT and getting download speeds of 5.0Mbps, which I feel is pretty good given my location and with a complete phone/broadband package there's not a big difference in my monthly cost.

I was with Wanadoo (going back a few years now!) and I never had a single problem with them.  Little or no downtme, £15 a month for totally unlimited downloads....Then....Orange took them over and things soon turned sour.  They changed the package that I was on from unlimited to 10gb per month without informing me (they sent the new T&C's email to the new Orange email address which they also never told me about).

So being blissfully unaware of what was happening, I just carried on as I was before then one day I got a letter from Orange saying that my bandwidth is going to be capped at .25mb.

I called them right away and told them of the problem but there was no sympathy from them at all so like yourself, I requested my MAC code and the tune changed.  I asked if my old bandwidth would be re-instated and their answer was no, because my cap would be in place for up to six months or up to such a time where my useage had gone down to a sustained level where they would consider putting it back up (pretty dumb thing to tell a fella who'd just put in a MAC code request).

Right after that I told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted that MAC code asap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ours has never been right since the cable went down. Some times speed is fine but at other times it is grinding to a halt. To be honest I have no chased ISP but may do so now.

Are there many folk still having issues?

It's been all to pot here in Scalloway the past few days. Folk have asked us "Is your Internet slow" so it's not just wis.

Here's the Speedtest thingy for the test I just ran - it was half this yesterday.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3421261609.png

Ours has never been right since the cable went down. Some times speed is fine but at other times it is grinding to a halt. To be honest I have no chased ISP but may do so now.

Are there many folk still having issues?

It's been all to pot here in Scalloway the past few days. Folk have asked us "Is your Internet slow" so it's not just wis.

Here's the Speedtest thingy for the test I just ran - it was half this yesterday.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3421261609.png

There were problems with the Scalloway masts last week, my mobile signal went out as did my internet connection. But all working fine now.

Have you tried re-starting /re-setting your broadband box ?

Yup , in Scalloway it's been mediocre for weeks and terrible for the last ten days or so , have spoken with BT and they admit there is a problem , depends which operator I speak with to what the problem is though, one said there's a problem with my line and they'd fix it by the 2nd of April , they didn't of course so I called back and now they say they can see a problem but that they don't know what it is, they will put an engineer out to my house but if they  find nothing wrong they will charge me £130 , now I'm sure it's not my system but at that charge I need to be sure !! If there is a lot of people struggling then I'm happy to call them in , could as many as possible say if they are suffering from slow speeds and I'll report tomorrow when they phone back ?

Hi WIndwalker and RFR937

Yes, tried restarting The Box - always my first move when the Internet starts playing up!

I ran BT's own Broadband Speed Test which came up with an odd result. It gave a speed of 8.13Mb as "The speed coming into your house" and a miserly 0.88Mb as "The speed you get at your computer". Does this mean that the Home Hub is up the creek?