Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

This is what I got tonight from speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2955715298.png

Whilst BT are saying that my download speed is 5.33 and upload is 0.35.  Not trusting the BT one at all as having problems and I did the test twice on both.  :???:

Anyone else having this problem on the BT checker?

The 'BT' one will probably be the BT Wholesale one - this will give an indication of what is technically possible on your line.

The test above shows what you are getting from your ISP, BT Retail.

Tests 'must' be carried out using a wired connection to have any credibility

Interrogating your modem/router will tell you exactly what your line speeds are.between you and the exchange equipment.

@ewenutz.  Yes.  For about the last week or so, my connection has been up and down like a yo-yo, and I've had to to reset my router more often than I've probably done in the last 5 years!

Have they not repaired SHEFA yet, anyone know?

@ewenutz.  Yes.  For about the last week or so, my connection has been up and down like a yo-yo, and I've had to to reset my router more often than I've probably done in the last 5 years!

Have they not repaired SHEFA yet, anyone know?

There is no service affecting fault in the SHEFA network system.  Even if there was, it would not affect your ADSL modem needing a reset.

@hairyian - It's only been like this since SHEFA got trawled up the other week.  I had a day with no connection at all, followed by spiking all over the place with web pages being unable to load/e-mails bombing out.  If I reboot the router, it behaves again where disconnecting and connecting doesn't ... and don't even ask what happens if I let someone else onto my workgroup and access via my hub cos it just drops through the floor where previously it didn't.

I have 3 BT business hubs - BT Business Hub 2, BT Business Hub 3 (the one currently in use) and a new upgraded BT Business Hub 2 - I might whack that on and see how that behaves but given that there was reports of internet traffic being re-routed whilst they fixed SHEFA, I didn't want to try that until I knew it had definitely been fixed.

@hairyian - It's only been like this since SHEFA got trawled up the other week.  I had a day with no connection at all, followed by spiking all over the place with web pages being unable to load/e-mails bombing out.  If I reboot the router, it behaves again where disconnecting and connecting doesn't ... and don't even ask what happens if I let someone else onto my workgroup and access via my hub cos it just drops through the floor where previously it didn't.

I have 3 BT business hubs - BT Business Hub 2, BT Business Hub 3 (the one currently in use) and a new upgraded BT Business Hub 2 - I might whack that on and see how that behaves but given that there was reports of internet traffic being re-routed whilst they fixed SHEFA, I didn't want to try that until I knew it had definitely been fixed.

The service affecting fault lasted for about 14 hours. a couple of weeks ago. 3.5 of which was total loss of service, the rest of the time was hardly noticeable.

The use of SHEFA by BT is a very tiny part of the network used by BT to get ADSL to you.

HairyIan, my broadband was off for far longer than 3.5hrs.  Even at 3am this morning, the speed varied immensely with only myself online.  I've done the usual such as ensuring all cables are firmly plugged in, changed filter, etc. Guess it's back to BT Business Help to find out what's going on then (Please let me get through to the guys at Dundee and not Blackburn/Plymouth/Lincoln as they're the only ones who seem to be really on the ball!).

I've been away since Monday, but was home during SHEFA event and online all the time, no downtime. Sunday 15th was like a bag of spanners though, terrible connection all day with a number of drop-outs. I'm in Cunningsburgh on BT. @Unlinked - I havent used a BT router for a long time, I found home-hubs too sensitive, the 2 I had dropped out continually. Currently using a netgear but can't remember model as I'm away.

I've also noticed from travelling with work a lot that the wireless cards in my laptops have very variable preformance with different routers. More than once I've used my phone as a tethered wireless receiver and found it holds a connection where the laptop card won't. This isnt a range issue, the phone just refuses to drop a bad connection as easily as the card