Internet problems?

DizzyKipper

^ Who's your ISP? Multiple millisecond daily drop outs is, and has been the norm with TalkTalk for just about as long as I've been with them.

I've had various filters, routers, cabling etc over the years and not a blind bit of difference was made by any of it, so I just decided to blame TT, live with it and swear for them each time it happened.

Edited by Ghostrider

Just me get your provider to get openreach to check all your home wiring and line they will sort it out for you

Jack, I may be wrong, but I think openreach will only accept responsibility for faults up to the master socket. All the rest is the responsibility of the home owner. If the fault is to do with wiring after the master socket, you could find they will bill you for their time.

^ You may also get the faults, if any repaired.

The can check the line past the Master Socket, clever things they are, without leaving their desks. You are right about the faults though, unless of course BT or their subsidiary installed the additional sockets.

One of those things, is it worth the money to check?

^ You may also get the faults, if any repaired.

The can check the line past the Master Socket, clever things they are, without leaving their desks. You are right about the faults though, unless of course BT or their subsidiary installed the additional sockets.

One of those things, is it worth the money to check?

The last time I had a chat about this with one of the fine people at the Newcastle call centre for BT/Openreach was about 6 or 7 years ago and she told me then that if the fault is found to be on your own side of the Master Socket there is an automatic call-out fee of £140, so its probably a fair bit more now. She was more than helpful and told me how to find the master socket and check which side the fault was on, in that case it was in my house.

One of the problems with telecoms wiring is its very fine multi-core copper and the cable is not always secured, so the weight over time can pull the wires loose. I did open up some of my sockets following that conversation and found a loose wire eventually. There was no way at that point I could leave the router at the master socket as we had old phones and thick stone walls that meant the wireless only covered half the house. The availability of mains boosters has really changed that as I can now plug Sky anytime, the X-box, and the desktop into the LAN, have a spare LAN socket with a USB splitter for anything else and a wireless booster at the other end of the house giving us decent coverage. It's cost well over a £100 but so far I think its been money well spent.

When I have reported problems in the past BT broadband have always asked me to plug the router direct into the master socket (which is fine if you have the newer type). I assume this is to check that the main line into the house is working properly. If this resolves the problem, then it suggests something afoot in any extensions or perhaps wireless, if you use it.

I fitted a filter called a iplate broadband accelerator onto my master socket, (newer type, if your lucky enough to have one) and not only did this improve issues with broadband, but it got rid of crackling on an extension phone I had out to the garage.

These can be purchase cheaply £5.58 from BT and are easy to fit. Might be worth a try.

If you have an older type socket, change it for an NTE5 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTE5-BT-Master-Telephone-Socket-/111219715977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e5362f89

DO NOT tell BT about this and if you are calling them out for any work make sure you change back to whatever set up you had before.

You may also need this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-Down-Krone-Tool-IDC-Network-Telephone-Insertion-Cable-Cutter-Stripper-/150851128007?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item231f6d8ac7

take photos of the wiring before removing so you do not forget where they go.

Edited by facey

• 1 month later...

For anyone who is with TalkTalk the following reply I received after several complaints regarding slow internet may be of interest.  I am now in the process of switching to BT and I would suspect this is the same for anyone not with BT. 

Re: Slow Broadband

Options

. . ..
on ‎06-12-201310:46 AM

Hi,

BT have not indicated any issues on their side. The next stage would be to arrange an engineer, however just to set your expectations, BT are not providing enough bandwidth at peak times for talktalk customers due to financial constraints, and if this does turn out to be the case, then this will not be resolved.

You would therefore be allowed to leave talktalk without any penalty etc.

Thanks.

Karl

My internet's been off completely for a couple of days. Anybody else, or is it just me?

Not just you petergair. No phone or broadband with talktalk since Saturday Morning. EE mobile internet still going strong though. Talktalk speed has decreased for me recently from 13-15 mbps to 8 mbps this last week or so. Hopefully thus will go back up when it is fixed. Reports from the BT and Plusnet sites guestimate the 09/01 and 04/01 repair dates respectively. 

My internet's been off completely for a couple of days. Anybody else, or is it just me?

Not just you petergair. No phone or broadband with talktalk since Saturday Morning. EE mobile internet still going strong though. Talktalk speed has decreased for me recently from 13-15 mbps to 8 mbps this last week or so. Hopefully thus will go back up when it is fixed. Reports from the BT and Plusnet sites guestimate the 09/01 and 04/01 repair dates respectively. 

???

This is TalkTalk in Lerwick ? In which case BT does not touch their kit, only the physical line from exchange to you. You need to contact TalkTalk to report a fault.