Foreign Navy frigates visit, why not the Royal Navy?

suuusssiiieee

All i was saying was its funny how in recent times there have been warships from Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, even Sweden of sorts come into Lerwick but nothing from our own navy..someone said the last destroyer in Lerwick was HMS Exeter a good few years back and that was just a quick in and out to refuel!

I'm not asking the Royal Navy to set up home here, but just a once in a blue moon visit to our island would be nice..

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw in a curve ball ,from speaking to many islanders they would rather the Norwegian navy were there as the 'HOME' navy

I agree. For all the stick I get for trying to promote Shetland returning to Norway I actually think that the tide is turning and many people are feeling this way.

Scorrie, I know you've acknowledged your reply to me was a bit harsh but perhaps if you tried to understand the history of the place you've chosen to come and live in you might understand why many Shetlanders like myself feel the way we do.

http://shetlopedia.com/Ursula_Smith

Guest posiedon
What about the Kalmar Union? Or. Maybe, we should go back to the Picts or Cat People, strike an alliance back with the Western Isles.
WE!

Where is it you live, again?

Just to throw in a curve ball ,from speaking to many islanders they would rather the Norwegian navy were there as the 'HOME' navy

I agree. For all the stick I get for trying to promote Shetland returning to Norway I actually think that the tide is turning and many people are feeling this way.

Scorrie, I know you've acknowledged your reply to me was a bit harsh but perhaps if you tried to understand the history of the place you've chosen to come and live in you might understand why many Shetlanders like myself feel the way we do.

http://shetlopedia.com/Ursula_Smith

Thanks Kavi, but I don't need the patronising pat on the head. You don't need to be from a certain place to 'understand'.

I prefer to base my opinion on historic fact coupled with political and economic realities. Along with the larger part of Shetlands populace

:wink:

Anyway, it would be good to the the RN back occasionally.

Scorrie, it wasn't a patronising pat on the head at all!.

All I genuinely suggested is that you try to understand or appreciate that Shetland's dark history leaves many Shetlanders like myself with an ill feeling towards all things Scottish and British.

I'm not tarring the present-day Briitsh Navy with the same brush as the press gang days but the truth is the British Navy is as foreign to Shetland as the French Navy.

One of the reasons there is so much sympathy towards Norway from Shetland is because we'd probably be treated infinitely better by Norway.....

Kavi, we're going way off at tangents here, but, briefly:

I'm more than aware of Shetlands previous history - especially regarding how they were 'handled' by their mainly Scots overlords.

And this may surprise you, but I don't believe Shetland as a part of Scotland (especially a newly 'Independent' one) is the best deal for Shetland.

But.....every time I've challenged you in your belief that Norway is the best deal going, you've either blanked me or alluded to (which you do to other folk on here) the fact that I/they are not 'native' Shetlanders. And your 'interest' in where folk are from been commented on by others on here, too.

It doesn't say much about your attitude towards Soothies, does it? Not really what I'd expect from someone who wants to join up with an open minded and forward thinking country like Norway.

So I'm afraid I tend to treat your pro-Norgie posts with a little contempt - as someone who has a valid point to make but who refuses to accept any challenge to their beliefs by responding with facts and constructive criticism. Someone who appears to put more weight into someone else's

provenance as opposed to their argument

You reap what you sow, Kavi. Engage in discussion and we might make progress.

BTW: Shetland was hardly unique in being press ganged. The whole of the British Isles and beyond were plagued by it. It's a bit like me shouting "Quisling!" every time someone mentions Norway: a bit weird and irrelevant.